Back to Introductory Human Physiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introductory Human Physiology by Duke University

LL

Jun 02, 2016

I'm a high school student interested in human physiology.\n\nThis course is AMAZING! Though sometimes I felt overwhelmed and couldn't remember everything, I think it was worth every effort and energy.

CK

Mar 05, 2020

this course is so reasonable in price and with good assignments! At first, im annoyed if i got only 70 or below, ii will need to redo. but it does help me to consolidate my knowledge. so thank you!!

1 - 25 of 585 Reviews for Introductory Human Physiology

By Kin I R N

Apr 16, 2018

I am an incoming medical student here in the Philippines and this course has provided me with enough background about the human body and the underlying machinery of every system associated with it.

By Lucy L

Jun 02, 2016

I'm a high school student interested in human physiology.

By David J H

Oct 11, 2016

I gained a deeper understanding and greater appreciation for how my body works. Thank you to the Teams at Duke and Coursera for making such a wide body of information available to the motivated.

By Ariane M

Nov 03, 2017

Very very interesting but also very challenging. I would not say this is a beginner's physiology course. Very much worth doing if you are interested in the medical field of some sort.

By Sylvia Q

Jan 17, 2020

Great class - very dense, like drinking from a fire hose, but wow I learned a lot! I took this just because I wanted to learn more about how the body magically does what it does, every day, without me thinking about it. I had no prior experience in physiology or anatomy, so this required me to do a LOT of note-taking and a little bit of Googling on the side for further understanding. If a week's videos totaled 2 hours, I spent about 4-5 getting through them and taking notes. I should add that I did not use the forums regularly, but I saw that many students had, and that their questions were answered fairly promptly, often by Emma Jakoi herself. The end-of-unit quizzes always included questions which forced you to apply your new learning to cases, and these could be challenging! Thanks to Duke for making this great class available online for free.

By Mick H

Sep 21, 2015

Very informative - but I don't like the dry delivery style.

By Anastasiia N

Oct 23, 2015

The effect of this course in understanding the body physiology and understanding the terminology of other courses can be compared to learning to read. Now I can take other, more specialized courses without having to Google every other word and actually understand the processes they're talking about instead of simply memorizing them.

Especially, now that I am taking several other courses, I have the opportunity to appreciate the depth clever systematic approach to explain such complex processes of our body. Sometimes I got the feeling that I lack some background as many terms used to explain processes were not explained. But that was greatly compensated by teachers' and mentors' participation in the forum and answering questions on every subject. I was amazed that such free course offers the luxury of teachers replying to your questions, and this actually motivated me to study even more diligently. And yes, come up with new questions :) By the end of the course not all my questions were answered, but on the other side, without this course I never would even think of asking those questions about work of human body! Such great interest and inquiry have you wakened in me, thank you very much!

I would like to note that the course used a wonderful array of tools to create understanding of the subject. One of the best was storytelling by Dr. Jakoi. Stories in the best way to learn as theoretical information is related to real-life situations, and in fact, I remembered all stories that she told, like stories about her son who had high parasympathetic tone, about guy who drank too much water to remove kidney stone, etc. Along with remembering the stories, I remembered the information it was about.

One more thing I would like to note is that I liked your tests and practice quizzes. Not all courses have practice questions after the lessons and it’s excellent way to memorize info. Also, quizzes include tasks of application of knowledge in some practical situations - makes you think and analyze the info to explain real-life phenomena. It’s difficult to correctly reply to such questions only relying on information: you need understanding of the process. In this way, these are excellent quizzes.

So thank you very much for such high quality educative course, it helped me a lot!

By Chan C K

Mar 05, 2020

By Lucie P

Jul 26, 2016

This course seems to require a high level of foundation knowledge that I don't have. I had to leave the course before completion because of that. In fact, most of the videos were too complex to understand without prior knowledge on the matter and the deadlines are quite tight to have time to research all the topics.

I believe the course content is quite interesting; but too complicated. I would appreciate less text and abstract drawings on the slide, maybe an intro with images (maybe 3D) of the human body to give a little bit of background on what's going to be discussed in the class...

By Demetrius D

Sep 27, 2015

The content is quite clear the course is going good so far ; however, i recommend the lecturer be more lively to help other be more interested in the course

By Karen J

May 09, 2020

Definitely, this is not an introductory course. Actually, you need some prior background in physiology, biology, chemistry, anatomy before taking it. It is also very challenging!

In some lecturers, I found the sequence and explanations were a little bit confusing, not very clear. Maybe because teachers used diagrams to represent anatomy and functions that were hard to understand and visualize. It required me a lot of search and note-taking to really get into it.

Regardless, it was a great opportunity to explore physiological topics of interest in greater depth.

Thank you Emma Jackoi and Jennifer Carbrey and all support staff and Course Community for making this great class available online.

By Rajarshi S

May 02, 2020

A detailed course on Human Physiology with advanced level of Questions. The lack of interactive slides and the lengthy course can be a bit boring at times but try to complete the course for gaining knowledge. A mandatory course for students in the field of biology.

By Sateesh K

Sep 18, 2015

Learnt a lot of stuff on how things happen inside all of us.

Struggled in few sections, as i have not been in tough with physiology ...

Feel program could be much more valuable by using

1) 3D videos to support the lecture

2) more examples of the application of the concepts in real life

3) increase the extent of interdisciplinary elements (Sports, medical, day in the life...)

4) Videos of Experts to share their findings/research

By Henrio J

Jan 16, 2019

Decomposing the course into shorter videos would make it better.

By Fong C C

Apr 20, 2020

I find it challenging, and the instructor is quite poor in delivering message

By Joshua S

Dec 09, 2019

It is so hard to learn from a professor who can't get through 2 sentences without stumbling over her thoughts, mumbling, trailing off and not finishing her sentence, etc. Perhaps if she spent less time pretending to be John Madden with her little board, she could focus on being an effective orator. Perhaps the second professor would have been better, but after 2 hours of listening to Dr. Jakoi, I now have to contact Coursera to see if I can get a refund or switch courses.

By Andrei H

Mar 17, 2017

Very hard to follow. Needs to clarify more on it's work.

By Kate L

I want to unenroll

By Jonathan H

Sep 21, 2019

An extremely wonderful course to a non-medical but with only high school biology background person like me. It helps me to gain better knowledge and information to what happens to our body in response to all those external influences of stress, intake of food and liquid. All the lectures are very professionally conducted with clear notes in the resources. Many times, video lectures provided very good external cases beyond the texts. I must also respect that both of you continue with the lectures despite hearing coughing many times throughout. Great professionalism demonstrated, even in such coursera.co course.

By Christine A

Apr 20, 2020

This course is excellent, if physiology is something you need for your career/personal interest. Mimi Jakoi and Jennifer Carbrey are magnificent in their field, and they both provide their tremendous insight to a high-functioning foundation level for the subject. However, if you are someone like me, a middle school science teacher who was only looking to find a novice level of physiology, you are going to get above and beyond what you imagined. I would definitely recommend this course to those who are highly invested in the subject, as it provides a great breadth of detail to 10 human systems.

By Nedyu Y

Jun 06, 2019

The course is excellent! Content and exams are very challenging, I personally had difficulties to complete them from the first try. It's worth repeating the material, further reading is also advisable.

By Wei L

Apr 01, 2016

Lectures are very concise. This course can help you grasp the most important core concepts and key woking mechanisms of human physiology. But I don't know why it do not have the immune system.

By Eraldo P P J

Nov 21, 2018

Great course with great teachers

By Denis Y

Mar 27, 2018

I took the course just out of curiosity, my field is software development. For me it was a very interesting course from system design point of view. It gives a lot of food to the brain and a wide range of analogies and patterns. Also I find it useful to know in more details how my body works, it raises awareness and makes me think that I need to care about my body more. It was also quite surprising for me that every new system was described with its own graphical notation, I find it difficult to adjust every time. Some moments were not clear, so I used google quite a lot. Some part remained unclear. E.g. when we look at cellular chemical exchange sometime it looks like that certain molecules are being accumulated by the cell, but there is no output shown for it. Overall I enjoyed the course and happy that I managed to finish it (it was the longest one for me on coursera). Thank you!

By 任熙达/XiDa R

Aug 18, 2015

The structure is a bit confusing, and the review is not quite as intensive as I would like.

Otherwise, it's awesome. The videos are good, the instructors speak at speeds just right, most of the slides are sparsely worded and well illustrated, the concepts are explained in depth... Awesome is the word.