Back to Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors by University of Pennsylvania

What is philosophy? How does it differ from science, religion, and other modes of human discourse? This course traces the origins of philosophy in the Western tradition in the thinkers of Ancient Greece. We begin with the Presocratic natural philosophers who were active in Ionia in the 6th century BCE and are also credited with being the first scientists. Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximines made bold proposals about the ultimate constituents of reality, while Heraclitus insisted that there is an underlying order to the changing world. Parmenides of Elea formulated a powerful objection to all these proposals, while later Greek theorists (such as Anaxagoras and the atomist Democritus) attempted to answer that objection. In fifth-century Athens, Socrates insisted on the importance of the fundamental ethical question—“How shall I live?”—and his pupil, Plato, and Plato’s pupil, Aristotle, developed elaborate philosophical systems to explain the nature of reality, knowledge, and human happiness. After the death of Aristotle, in the Hellenistic period, Epicureans and Stoics developed and transformed that earlier tradition. We will study the major doctrines of all these thinkers. Part I will cover Plato and his predecessors. Part II will cover Aristotle and his successors....

AA
Apr 18, 2020

Excellent course. This course has opened up ancient philosophy to me and made it accessible. I feel I have finished the course a good understanding of such keys texts as Plato's Republic and Timaeus.

LL
Mar 8, 2016

Good intro to early Greek philosophy. Dr Meyer has a simple and subtly humorous approach to the material. Dr Meyer makes the subject approachable so that the student wants to do further reading.

276 - 300 of 347 Reviews for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

Jul 29, 2016

好课!爽!

By Sergio A C

Nov 19, 2016

good

By 魏震

Jun 7, 2016

Neat

By David F J N

Feb 18, 2016

D.T.

By Benjamin J

Sep 7, 2020

Loved the lectures and the content. Personally I found some of the readings to be too long in one sitting without some guidance. I found myself struggling through long sections, not really understanding until I heard the lecture. Rather than two long readings then 4 or 5 videos in a row, I think it would be more effective to have a shorter reading, then the relevant lecture, then another reading etc. One other issue was the instructions for the assignment initially were quite vague. I read the prompt and then began. It only said to write a letter talking about 2 aspects of the Republic. Only when I finished and went to submit did I go to page two which specified that the two points had to be Plato's view of Justice in a person and why it is always better to be just. As a result, I had to go back and redo the assignment. Other than those two things, loved the course.

By Harry M

Jul 24, 2020

Well organized and I really enjoyed this course; I took both this course and the follow up course on Aristotle. Both were excellent. However, for some unexplained reason, I thought the professor's course on Aristotle was more interesting (hence I cage it five stars) while I thought that this course was slightly confusing in terms of the quizzes and prompts. Having said that, this course is definitely worth your time and effort. My approach was to read the lecture first while taking notes and then listen to the lecture and fill in the blanks. The readings make much more sense AFTER reading/listening to the lecture than before. Just my take on how I 'studied' for the quizzes, etc. Enjoy, it's worth the effort.

By Joseph G

Jun 7, 2018

I really enjoyed this course and learned so much from it. However the professor's monotone voice is reminiscent of too many professors I have had over the years that put me to sleep. I found it difficult to pay attention at times because of this even though I was very interested in the subject matter. She seems very knowledgeable about the subject, so perhaps taking a public speaking course would prove beneficial. Other than that I loved the course and am excited to take part two starting in a few days!

By Wajahat R B

Nov 15, 2019

The biggest strength of this course is that it makes one read the ancient texts, thus giving a direct exposure to the ideas of some great thinkers. Alongside, it also gives some idea of Greek history and culture. I think the difficulty level should have been a bit higher. The quizzes are way too simple to assess the interest of the student. Dr. Meyer teaches in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. I'll certainly take the second course in this series. An amazing experience overall!

By Ralph L

Aug 15, 2020

I touch this course because it is outside my comfort zone and throughout I felt challenged. So I feel really good that I was able to complete the course successfully. It opened my eyes to how close these ancient philosophers were compared today's latest theories in physics regarding the reality of the universe.

Well worth it.