Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

AD
Jul 23, 2020

Excellent explanation. Professor Charles kept the course from being monotonous. Learnt in depth about reading from file, sorting dictionaries and appending lists. Looking forward to learn more courses

AC
Jun 18, 2020

Great course for pyhton. Loved this course and enjoyed it. Thanks to Dr.Chuck. If anyone who want to take a course which is well explained and fun for python learning, then Hey!!! this is your course.

76 - 100 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Myat M O

Jul 23, 2020

Nice course! I am a beginner in Python. Now I am being able to write my own functions and learn about the data structure. The video tutorials are pretty straightforward and instructions were provided to scope the problem. The graded assessments truly tested our skills in Python. Though some problems seemed very simple and similar to those that appeared in the lessons, many were quite difficult and involved critical thinking and problem-solving. I have access to all the code used in the lesson exercises which make the graded assessments easier to complete and follow along with. Once again, great course, and I recommend it for the beginners looking into computer science and programming.

By Thérèse N

Nov 30, 2020

I am so thanful that I am among the students who got chance to take this course and we met a great Lecturer Dr Charles. I can say, I got blessed and he tried to give us all the accessories that can permit us to feel the confidence in us that now I am able to explain what is Data structure, how to manupilate with files and how coud I use them through solving different World problems. This subject was awesome and I learnt a lot through it not only about Programming but I acquired other life skills of how interacting with your students and make them understand well what you taught by Dr Charles. Thank for Graduation Ceremony I got a lot of Advices that will guide me in my life ahead.

By Jiabin Q

Mar 17, 2019

Course Level - Beginner.

My Level - Beginner with course studied in University for C, C++, Assembly language.

Lecturer - Dr. Chuck is knowledgable in Python, he is professional in teaching, he is insightful in learning, he is a fun and kind person.

Cost - the monthly subscription is worth for me as I almost took one course a week. If you believe you can commit that amount of time per week, then this cost is super low for you.

Next for me - I will be learning the next few courses under this Python for Everybody specialization. And after this specialization, would go on with more data science course. So I would like to invite all of you to start and continue learning together.

By Amrutha C

Jun 2, 2020

The course provides all the content you need to learn as a beginner in python. Once you learn everything you also need to workout on your own.. i did it. i spent just an hour after learning each module and then practiced it, went through material and understood. The material is very easy to understand, instructor is very friendly and never makes any of the course classes boring! If you are planning to take any course on python, i strongly recommend this course. I really enjoyed it. It was more like a friendly discussion rather than a regular college class hearing some boring content.I sincerely wanted to thank the Instructor Dr. Chucks for providing this course and content!

By Kainka

Mar 6, 2017

Excellent course focused on strings, files, lists, dictionaries and tuples making a clear reference to how these can be used to analyse data. This is probably the first time when I finally understood when we should use lists, dictionaries and tuples as I always had them all mixed up :) This proves excellent teaching skills of Dr. Chuck as it is a challenge to explain these things to "newbies"/"dummies" but also for those who already had a taster before to make sure it's all well understood.

This is a second course in the specialization and together with the first one is setting a very good base for more complex assignments that will be discussed in the following courses.

By Rishikesh S

Mar 14, 2017

I am really happy to be in this course and more happier to have a teacher like Dr.Chuck! Every Student must have a teacher if not a parent like Dr.Chuck who enacts to be the teacher of their kid. The way he teaches is so interactive and he is so cheerful and supportive from his words. Yeah but I am sad cz' I cant afford myself a certificate. I wish I could and some day I will work harder to earn more and earn myself a certificate from Dr.Chuck. Only a few teachers can give you that spark and support like Dr.Chuck. GUYS AND GIRLS don't miss this teacher or u may regret it! CZ' the course will then be just a walk in the park under the guidance of Dr.CHUCK! Thank You Sir.

By Rohan S

Dec 16, 2018

The course of Python Data structures offered on coursera by University of Michigan is a nice course followed by Getting Started with Python. In this course you will get almost enough knowledge in python to write some good code, like you can access files on the computer and extract something out from that. Instructor is particularly very nice and frank type of person. He teaches the course in such a way that you will not feel any pressure of anything during the course. Assignments are also easy even if they look hard at first sight. Everything follows from his lecture, so listen to his lectures carefully and I swear you will not feel boring during any lecture.

By Buğrahan Y

Sep 28, 2020

I really enjoyed every minute and every assignment I have passed during the course. Dr. Chuck is really cool and awesome instructor. I am really looking forward to take another course from him. I also liked how the vides are and their style of teaching, especially office hours are amazing. I hope Dr. Chuck will come Madrid or Istanbul so I can finally meet him. Assignments are a bit challenging which is super good for learners to always be able to repeat what we have learned along the videos. To sum up, I can easily say that these two course are definitely two of the bests that I have took, and I really want to continue to the next one as soon as possible.

By BOJJA A

Jun 8, 2020

Anonymous completed this course.

The Python Data Structures course run by Dr Charles Severance has been informative, instructive and overall just great. Having tried to learn Python from a book before and had trouble with it I decided to start Dr Chuck's course, which I can say has really paid off. Dr Chuck provides a casual yet very educational way of teaching, and teaches/guides you through every step of learning the fundamentals of Python programming. I also found the student curated notes catered for the course very helpful for when I forgot something in the lecture.

Overall a fantastic course and I hope to do more of Dr Chuck's courses in future!

By John L M

Jun 12, 2016

The course was perfect for my current circumstances. I have been working for quite some time and wanted to freshen my skill set. These courses fit perfectly into the busy schedules of modern families. I strongly encourage other associates to consider taking the courses as well. They can easily fit into a Sunday afternoon or after work, if not exhausted.

The content of the course improved upon the first course, and touched on subjects I was curious about but never completely understood.

I plan to take more courses as it develops interests into skills without the HUGE expense and pressure of a degree type program which would not fit into my current life.

By Neeraj S

Nov 3, 2020

A lot of thanks to the Coursera team especially our mentor, Dr. Charles "Chuck" Russell Severance, whose ways of teaching and experience fascinated us all. Doubt Clearing team especially Tamara, Jeonghwan, Blumenberg Sir. We learn almost everything about Data Structures. We learned about Dictionaries, Lists, Tuples, and the ways in which we can manipulate all these pieces of stuff. We also learned their practical applications also. Really this course has boosted my skills. Probability of getting the desired job has exponentially increased. Thanks for the Graduation ceremony. Hope to meet Dr. Chuck in the future as a successful man. Thanks again.

By Yacine B

Jan 27, 2020

This was an excellent course. Professor Severance did a great job of explaining the different data structures available to Python programmers and their best use cases, which is something I was hoping to understand more thoroughly. The exercises are challenging but attainable and always build on what you've learned in class or through other exercises. I felt that the Programming for Everybody class was almost too easy - it certainly wouldn't be for a novice but it is for anyone with programming experience - however, the Python Data Structures is something that everyone but a very experienced Pythonista will benefit from. Highly recommended.

By Wenjing L

Feb 23, 2020

Again, this is an excellent course following the first course in this series. The difficulty rised up a bit, but the course was prompting students to combine what they've learned in the past classes and complete assignments.

Some of the assignments I spent hours on, which was quite uncommon for the first course, but I really gained a lot rewriting and revising my errors in codes. It's less about mastering a programming language but more of learning to think logically like a professional programmer. I enjoyed the feeling of sorting my own brain out.

Thanks for Dr. Chuck and Coursera for such a wonderful course. I will continue the study.

By Soham B

Jul 31, 2020

Again, the same review as this specialization courses' first module, just phenomenal. I am a complete newbie to coding, so I am learning a lot, and there is a very enjoyable information overload (if you are into that sort of thing). Plus, I am really getting into enjoying the ecstasy after properly executing a program. I would highly recommend anyone interested in learning Python to take this specialization course. In order to learn better, I keep Command Prompt open on my side, and I keep executing my commands line by line (wherever applicable), and that also is aiding a lot to my learning. I cannot wait for the next module.

By Kevin C

Aug 16, 2020

Another great class from Coursera and UOM. As someone who did a larger portion of my undergrad and all of my graduate studies online, I am incredibly impressed with the makeup of these courses. The content is well organized. The quizzes and assignments are easy to execute and 100% aligned to the subject matter. During the course of my MS in Decision Analytics, I can't tell you how many times the week's material seemed completely disconnected from the formal tests/assignments. The discussion forum feedback is great and incredibly quick. Excellent experience and great knowledge for the future. Thanks Coursera and Dr. Chuck!

By Raian S

Sep 1, 2020

"Python Data Structures" was the 2nd part of basic python. I am thankful to Coursera and University of Michigan for giving this opportunity. This course was so much enjoyable as previous one. I want to express my gratitude to Dr. Chuck for his great teaching. I am proud to be a part of this course. This course was covered 6 to 10 chapter of the textbook “Python for Everybody” and I took only 12 days to finish this. Now, I focus on next course "Using Python to Access Web Data" which is beginning of advance python. I hope, that will also as much enjoyable as previous courses, specially when the instructor is Dr. Chuck.

By Sayak C

Jul 8, 2020

Dr. Chuck is an awesome instructor, the focus of this course is a narrow one, you will learn a lot of things, but will remain oblivious to a wide variety of things outside the focus of this course if you don't do the work to look around the Python community and read up on the various methods and functions available outside of the ones taught in this course. Also, the bonus material at the end of each week is a welcome change of pace that serves to, in a certain way, humanize the community and the instructor more, so that they do not remain mere images and voices on an electronics device.

Great course, would recommend.

By Michael F

Oct 4, 2015

Fabulous course. The lectures are good. Quizzes and assignments have started to be, applying what you've "learned", not just regurgitation. Very nice. The bonus material show how the different technologies are related and the genesis of many of them by individuals who participated in then. Very cool. Thanks much. It was most enjoyable. I also like that you can move at your own pace. If you're new to the profession, a quick learner or re-tooling, it's move as fast or as slow as you want. This is been very helpful for myself. I'm retooling and have become a "college" student again. Great fun. Thanks much!!

By Cole D

Jun 21, 2020

Anonymous completed this course.

This was a great course! Building data structures was fulfilling and the first time you actually get to see Python do something useful, well more useful than printing out prompts or calculations which a calculator could do faster than you typing the code. Dr. Chuck is a great instructor and he has helped convince me this is where I need to be. I will go back and find another course to better my skills because the few projects you do in this class aren't enough for me... I want to be able to listen to a problem and know exactly how to write a solution in Python.

Thanks Dr. Chuck

By Amelia S

Jul 14, 2020

The lectures are very well structured and the flow of each lectures flows great

reference support and reading material is very satisfying

Presentation support such as drawings, slides, cartoons is very interesting

the way the lecturer teaches is very passionate and very interesting

the speed of the lecturer is suitable to my ability to listen and comprehend

the voice and pronunciation are clear and easy to understand

the material taught is very useful, interesting and up to date

this lecture will be very useful for my career in the future

this lecture will be very useful for real life in the future

By Mark R

Dec 17, 2019

Very Awesome, robust beginning course in programming that covers a great deal more than I would expect in a beginning course. Python is so ellagantly simple I think, and that is what allows so much more to be covered relative to what might be covered in other languages. Plus, the added bonus of Dr. Chuck's HEROIC ICONS of PROGRAMMING interviews are an especially appreciated in their rare, personal view into the mind and personalities of quite a diverse and very awesome developers that started out at some point much like many of us and kind of gives you the hint that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Mark Regan

By Yumei L

Apr 21, 2016

Took this as "Programming for Everybody"--my very first programming class. Loved it. It was hard from time to time, but well worth it. It's not likely I will do programming for a living, but understanding this medium makes a big difference for me when I encounter issues related to technology, data and the web. I believe everyone benefits from some exposure to the world of programming. And this is by far the best course offered online. This part of the class isn't always easy, especially if one starts from scratch. But persist--the course is so well structured that eventually everything comes together.

By Manuel F

Jun 28, 2020

This is my second course of the Python Specialization, and I think it covers all the content about the data structure in an easier way and concise. Also, it gives differents strategies to analyse differents types of information and how to obtain specific dates (e.g. explore different ways to extract some datas from Excel or similar files, calculate this data given its information) from the big quantity of these files. I liked this, because you can explore more in detail the different tools that it gives Python and motivate the student to learn and apply these concepts for different applications

By Manhal R

May 15, 2020

A very good course even for a programmer!

I was from a C++ background. The way Dr. Charles Severance explains things in a really friendly manner is so easy to understand, it's as if I am learning from a friend instead of an instructor. I breezed through this course so easily. I finished the first course in the specialization in 3 hours, and this one in 2 days. However, this does not mean it's an introductory course. It'll give you deep insights into everything. This course indeed is "Python for Everybody" (focus on 'Everybody').

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn Python.

By Bernardino D C

Oct 17, 2020

This is the second course that I took under the Python for Everybody specialization offered by the University of Michigan through Coursera.So far, I am fully satisfied with how this course was taught. A month ago, I had zero knowledge about programming and this course helped me a lot in learning Python.Prof. Chuck knows how to teach in an effective way as he explains all the things in the clearest way possible.I also like how the assignments challenged me to use what I learned and I think that is a great thing.I am looking forward to take the next courses in this specialization.