Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

TM

Jun 21, 2017

first time i had done any course online and this was a wonderful experience\n\nI learned all the stuff and the explanation provided was good.\n\ni would like to do more courses from here\n\nthank you!

AW

Nov 20, 2015

Easy to follow and not boring. The instructor breaks things down in simple form. The Coursera platform is sometimes a bit quirky but otherwise the content in this course I thought was quite excellent.

301 - 325 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Meenakshi P

Jan 08, 2018

Excellent course, well taught. I don't have a computing background.

Weeks 1-4 felt easy, Week 5 I had to focus, and weeks 6&7 I was pausing a lot and trying to digest the material.

Next time this course is run it may be helpful to spread this material across 8 weeks, so that material in weeks 6 and 7 can be done over 3 weeks. instead of 2 weeks.

I would also like to see more exercises (even if not graded) in weeks 5 to 7. E.g. to try out the various new lessons/functions. Although, on relflection, there was nothing stopping a student trying this out in Atom or in the PY4E playground!

Many thanks.

By Muhammadiev S O

Oct 08, 2020

I haven't had a lot of other online courses, but this one seems to be a very good introduction to learning a new programming language. It's mostly for beginners who are new to programming in general. That's why I had to speed up the playback, because I've been doing development in other languages for quite a long time by now. And that's convenient, the fact that you can turn on captions for the video you're watching or see subtitles below is very nice. Also, excercises are probably the most important part. I liked the way they were organised.

Thank you Dr Chuck and many thanks to the Coursera Team

By Lemboye A

Jun 01, 2019

Upon taking this course, I had zero knowledge of Python, Programming. I always wanted to learn but it always seemed complex.

Up stepped, Python for Everybody by the charismatic Dr Chuck Severance. It was different. The course is both easy to understand and very detailed. It is also quite compelling, meaning for someone like me with a relatively weak self-discipline, I did not have to conjure up this "amazing" will power to complete this course, it automatically drew me in like a magnet.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to any one looking to begin his journey in Python and Programming.

By Arslan A

Feb 01, 2019

Although the course 1 is just a beginner's start to the python programming language, but the way it is created will definitely inspire many students to start python programming language seriously and professionally. The worldwide office hours, meetings with other tech person and new technologies introduction etc all are created in a way that nobody can feel alone while taking this course and Its just the start, the other 4 courses in python specialization are must to enroll for professional start. Thank you Coursera, University of Michigan, HEC and Sir Charles Severance for such a amazing course.

By Akanksha K

Jun 01, 2020

I am an in undergrad course so my review will be valid for all those beginners in programming out there. So first of all for a beginner this course sounds just parfait.For me it taught me how to think like a programmer. In this you have the assignments, regular quizzes for each chapter in the course which is like a revision or kinda tests of what you learnt you actually get introduced to the basics of Python.

This course also gives you bonus by introducing to the people who gave birth to Python, Piazza and some of the important people in the community of Programming

All in all

Thanks Dr.Chucks

By Khanh P T

Feb 26, 2016

Having struggled with Python for more than a year and tried different learning materials, I am so happy with the newbie-friendly teaching approach presented in this course. The first few lectures are very helpful as they demystify the conceptual challenges surrounding Python, programming and computers in general--effectively breaking down the psychological barrier common in many students new to programming. I like the textbook and the bonus videos very much, as they offer contextual information about Python and how people are using programming in the real world. I am a big fan of the professor!

By Jeffrey A

Jan 24, 2017

This was my first course to do with any type of computer programming I took. I had been interested in the past to learn python, learned some basic stuff but nothing like this. I know how a base understanding of what Python can do. The professor, Dr. Chuck was humorous which made the class fun, his lectures were on point and didn't give you too much information. The only negative, is I found myself getting stuck at assignments and having to look for help elsewhere to complete my programs. I hope with the more I continue to learn, I will be able to finish the assignments with my own knowledge.

By Berkeley B

Jan 07, 2016

I really enjoyed my time with this online experience. Though I managed to get thru most of the course without having to post a question, I did realize in the end how easy and responsive the course TA's are in follow up. And there is also the community of other students whom I was able to learn from in seeing their questions and answer sessions. You have no idea how important it was for me to be able to review the material in snippets in my day and then review it again and again so that I could comprehend the nuances of the lessons. Amazing, I wish I had this when I was in my undergrad days.

By kumar a

Mar 17, 2020

The course was awesome, well-furnishing and compatible even for those who are are not aware of programming techniques though. In my opinion, if someone is going to start a journey over python then I'll recommend him/her to kindly pursue this course at least as a start, and I know they will love the respected instructor and his course content and his unique way of imparting knowledge as well.

The only thing I missed here was, they should add a bit more content, adding up some more concepts to the course so as to match-up with the necessities of a well-contented beginner level course on python.

By Fuze

Feb 20, 2020

Although this is not the first online course that i have ever taken, this must be the most interesting and the most progressive online course for me. I will move on to the subsequent courses. After taking this course, you will absolutely master how to install Python3, how to write .py files and how to run them. Furthermore, you will learn the mechanism of conditional statements, while loops, for loops, functions, etc. It may be a little confusing when you first started this course, but after countinuous learning, you will be interested and immerse yourself in it. This course is worth taking.

By Konstantinos N

Dec 24, 2016

Took the course as a first step in dealing with big data science.

The structure of the course is at all times comprehensible and it has a rather smooth narrative.

The course book is easy to understand, though at times it feels like it skips some steps.

The strongest point of the course is the instructor himself. Having thorough knowledge of the subject at hand, teaches in a funny and at the same time really productive manner. In short he teaches as an educator should teach.

To sum up, really good MOOC programme, gets you ahead in a few weeks time. Will definitely enroll for the second one.

By Maria C F

Aug 23, 2020

Highly recommended beginner friendly course with great lecturer! I have not taken many CS courses but compared to CS50X, Dr. Chuck Severance is really determined to not only teach python but to make sure students understand and he delivers content in very entertaining way. He even wrote and published the accompanying literature for free online! You can tell from the offline office hours that he really does care about his online Coursera students.In addition I really love the mini interviews with the startup founders and python developer. It really enrich my knowledge about the IT industry.

By Tianran Y

Sep 03, 2016

Very well done course. It's very slow, so if you're looking for something akin to a full time college course, I would take this at either double or triple the pace the course recommends. It's geared towards people who have never developed or really looked at code at all, so if you have, you'll be ahead of the pack. Overall, I enjoyed the course a lot. It definitely covered things from many angles and went through things slow enough for me me to process everything. That said, I was also able to increase the speed of the videos and complete a few weeks in one when I had the time. Fun class

By JUAN P G B

Jun 26, 2020

Was a really nice experience, it is helpful for check and reinforce base knowledge for python programming. The instructor explanations about the different subjects was easy to understand and the examples and test made helps a lot in the practice of python coding. The course feels friendly and comfortable, that is makes go through the weeks with high expectation and keeps the interest in a high level. For people with none or just a few knowledge about programing, is a great course to start and at least in my case, encourage me to keep learning and improving my programing skills in python

By Jeel P

Mar 07, 2020

The best thing about this course is the Instructor and the video quality, its easy pace, its content which goes from the following path ---> very very easy - very easy - little easy - easy - little intermediate, and it goes on... I mean that the instructor is very much student-friendly, not that kind of instructor that just come to the lecture-gets the beginner and intermediate topics mixed up, starts mugging up what he has to teach and just fades away with a piece of paper without any value in our hands(course certificate). Don't just read reviews get your a** off and start working.

By Scott F

Jul 10, 2016

This is a great class for someone who has no experience with Python at all. Dr. Chuck does an excellent job helping you understand the core concepts in a manner that is easy to learn. The lectures are interesting, easy to follow, and full of great material. The quizzes are simple enough but you do have to pay attention in order to get them correct. The assignments were a lot of fun and made you think of how best to incorporate everything you learned. This was a better experience than I have had in other courses I have been through. I am definitely taking the next class from Dr. Chuck!

By Shalender Y

Jul 16, 2017

The course is very good. when i started this course i am thinking it's going to be difficult , but relaxed when completed first week of the course. The main attraction of the course is it's arrangement in a sequence step by step form which makes understanding concepts easy.

Each video in the course doesn't tell only how to do program, but also clears the concept of the programs and why we are doing that program.

Really any person can learn python through these course even he has a programming background or not.

Overall course is so good and helps me in enhancing my programming skills.

By Manan P

Jun 05, 2020

Overall course is so good and helps me in enhancing my programming skills.

By Thiago Y T

Jun 07, 2020

É um curso muito instrutivo. Foi o meu primeiro curso do Coursera e também a minha primeira linguagem de programação. O curso foi muito bom para mim que não sabia nada de programação, desde elementos básicos como instalar e rodar os programas, e evoluiu até a utilização das ferramentas de programação. Esse primeiro curso é bem introdutório, então para pessoas que já conhecem programação, acredito que deve servir mais para reforçar suas ideias, mas para iniciantes é bem instrutivo. As avaliações são bastante didáticas e a resolução dos problemas são desafios possíveis e divertidos.

By Chandrama S

Jan 31, 2016

I am a research student and working with Matlab Programming currently. Previously I did Masters in Geography and I had a very little experience in programming language as my entire course study was based on theory, statistical applications in geography.

Dr. Chuck's lectures really helped my out to learn coding from scratch and at the top of it I am now able to find out my loopholes while I do coding on Matlab background. Definitely I will take more courses from Coursera in future and when I have saved much, I will upgrade my course to get my completion certificates.

Cheers

Chandrama

By sreeram s

Jan 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning this course. Though I am a beginner in programming, I was able to follow, comprehend and apply the contents taught in the course. The instructor stayed true to his vision in making it easy for everyone to learn programming through this course. Additionally taking it on coursera online platform helped me do it at my own pace, pause, take notes and really grasp the content. The assignments were appropriate and interesting.

I strongly recommend this course to newbies willing to take the plunge into programming. Python seemed lot more easy to learn and apply.

By Charles S

Sep 28, 2017

Dr. Severance kept everything very clear. I really appreciate that he has mastered the pace required to make sure you don't miss something, even when you think he could go faster. He has also mastered how to explain the translation from human thinking to computer code really well. I have found that other teachers have gone "native" with computer thinking and cannot explain it clearly. Clearly, this course makes you confident to continue on with the rest of the specialization. Note, if you have even a little coding experience, you can do this first course in a week quite easily.

By Mohd A N

May 09, 2020

I'm not new to programming, I'm not new to Python, but I took this course just to see the way Mr. Severace teaches. I loved him! I completed the whole course in literally less than 6 hours of binging and completing the assignments plus the bonus material. A 100% of it. It was almost a quick refresher for me.

If this is your first time into programming, this is the best place to start with. Mr. Charles Russell Severance is the fun way to start with. The content is to the point and deals straight to the point with added fun. No nasty tricks/shortcuts, just plain beginner content.

By Quanxiong Z

Apr 18, 2016

I've tried the Python course of Rice university, and some part of the Codecademy Python course! This is much more basic and offer a fundamental view about all programming language not only just python. Compared to the Rice University course, this one is more for a new beginner who hasn't done any coding before. The Rice course doesn't really need any coding exp, but with the projects get more complicated in the end, it would be much easier if you have somewhat coding exp before, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I can't wait for all this specialization of University of Michigan!

By Unzila N

Jun 14, 2020

The following course "Programming for Everybody" provides basic, useful knowledge of programming languages and terminologies used by a computer programmer. It is indeed very helpful for a non-programmer like me to initiate and learn a new scientific field of study and to further take over the commands within. Moreover, the instructor is excellent and expert in his field. He explains the tricky concepts so well with contextualisation. He successfully kept me captured throughout the course. And I am keen to opt for the other specialization courses taught by the same Professor.