Back to Risk in Modern Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Risk in Modern Society by Universiteit Leiden

Risk has become one of the defining features of modern society. Almost daily, we are preoccupied with assessing, discussing, or preventing a wide variety of risks. It is a cornerstone notion for businesses and organizations, but also for nation states and their many levels of government. And even for individuals, risk and the avoidance or embracing thereof, is a key theme. The course Risk in Modern Society sheds light on the broad concept of risk. In five distinctive weeks, this course closely examines various types of safety and security risks, and how these are perceived and dealt with in a wide array of professional and academic fields, ranging from criminology, counter-terrorism and cyber security, to philosophy, safety and medical science. Developed in collaboration with scholars from three universities (Leiden, Delft and Erasmus), this course will search for answers to questions such as: “what is risk?”, “how do we study and deal with risk?”, “does ‘perceived risk’ correspond to 'real' risk?”, and “how should we deal with societal perceptions of risk, safety and security?...

KF

Oct 07, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. Very informative. I also like the fact that you actually have to put work into it in order to pass.

RH

Feb 28, 2018

Excellent presentations by all instructors. Very well laid with enough depth to not overwhelm. Simply superior!

1 - 25 of 25 Reviews for Risk in Modern Society

By Kristopher R

Mar 02, 2020

I really appreciated the classes on risk perception and how it can really influence us to the point of actual risk. I can see even how my wife and I perceive risk differently and how it affects our relationship. I found that a good read to accompany this portion of the class is "Buddha's Brain" by Rick Hansen. He talks about keep the potential trouble in the right perspective. Don't make a missile out of an arrow.

By Gunther B

Feb 07, 2019

This course is an excellent introduction to risk and how society organizes itself around the management of risk. It was a topic that I was interested in, and now that interest has been magnified greatly. They provided very practical explanations within an overarching framework that can be applied in many ways. The quality of the instructors was absolutely top-notch.

By jessica d s n

Nov 08, 2018

Curso incrível que além de contextualizar todos os conteúdos com dados históricos, dados de pesquisas e com a realidade, conta com um corpo docente altamente qualificado e os materiais indicados para aprofundamento do aprendizado são extremamente relevantes e precisos.

By Ashok K

s

T

h

n

ks to the instructors and the university and Coursera for putting this course. I am sure this course will be updated every time the new risks show on horizon.

By Francisco J G M

Apr 23, 2018

An extraordinary course made by talented people and great knowledge. Thanks to : Instructors, Experts, Universiteit Leiden (CFI), Staff, and Coursera for this great opportunity.

By Klaus D P

Mar 11, 2018

Excellent course which gives a brilliant overview over a relevant topic. Short and concise video lectures, very inspiring and stimulating. Highly recommended!

By Igor M

Mar 30, 2018

A rewarding introductory level course which I would highly recommend to those interested in the topic. Don't miss any of the readings, it's worth the time!

By Katrina F

Oct 07, 2019

By Rupert H

Feb 28, 2018

By Carlos E P d A

Jun 27, 2018

Excellent course! I broadened my view and ability to reason about risks in modern society.

By Md M R

Sep 17, 2019

Great introductory course - well presented, short and full of information. Thanks

By Fumihiko T

Mar 07, 2018

This is a good course to learn basic concepts and principles of risk management!

By Garima S B

Dec 11, 2019

A great overview of Risk in modern society, well explained and informative!

By Haryanto " W

Aug 17, 2018

Excellent course regarding the knowledge of present day risks

By ali a

Jan 14, 2019

Great it was helpful

and advanced training according to me

By Sean b

May 01, 2018

Excellent class, well taught with important information!

By Naveed B A

Dec 23, 2019

amazing ,I suggest to all my friends please do it .

By Eriberto T

Mar 11, 2018

Very interesting, excellently done and relevant!

By Edward K

May 24, 2018

EXCELLENT

By Dennis V

Mar 30, 2019

I got a good understanding of the difference between safety and security. However, the course could be a little bit longer and in some parts more deeper.

By Emmanuel A

Feb 06, 2020

Awesome

By Joy S

Mar 02, 2018

really short

By Dakota N

Sep 19, 2019

Extremely light overview; I was really hoping for more content.