Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL

Aug 22, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

1376 - 1400 of 1,943 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Siddharth K

Jun 30, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and felt it was excellent as a beginner course for someone who had very minimal knowledge of this skill at the start of this course. Some of the questions were a little confusing and the lectures could delve a little bit deeper into the SQL nuances to help develop a more complete knowledge of the subject. That being said, I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in the world of SQL and developing their skills and getting resources to succeed.

By Vishesh A

Jul 14, 2020

The course has quite a lot of content, and all of it is relevant. The lectures in the initial weeks were really helpful. After the second week, it was difficult to keep up with the instructor. The practice challenges and additional resources were very helpful and added to my learning experience. The final assessments at the end of each week helped me learn a lot. The peer-reviewed assessment at the end was a challenge in itself. Overall, a good course for beginners.

By Maureen M

Oct 12, 2020

Course was well structured, videos were efficient and informative, very well done! I do think the course was light on the Data Science part of the equation, and found it odd that the final question on the final exam asked you do considering doing predictions or segmentations when none of that had been covered in the course. Would be better to add a week to this class and actually teach how to do predictions/segmentations and more data science applications.

By Wenhao Z

Feb 08, 2018

The course content is generally good, but the final work, in my opinion, needs to be adjusted to work better. I completed this course in a relatively short time. However, the final work took me a lot of time to do some of them were quite confusing. I was quite frustrated by this work and I found a lot of people had the same feeling. I think improvements needs to be done to the work. This lectures, however, is worthy to participate in.

By Maryna A

Aug 06, 2020

This course has all the basic information. But I didn't like the examples, they were poor. I could only see the result of SQL queries, but there were no screenshots about the table with which we are working and what was in the beginning. Moreover, not SQL queries in the lectures had even the resulting screenshot table. And, also, as for me, I prefer the [ESS QUE EL] pronunciation rather than [SIQUEL]. I recommend this course!

By Marcello L

Apr 20, 2020

Good intro course, which doesn’t just cover the basics of SQL, but also usage from a Data Science perspective. Only observation is that the speaker is not so fluid, and obviously very nervous at the time of video recordings. Particularly Week 3, I couldn’t follow the Joins subject due to being so poorly articulated, so I ended up learning from the SQLite Tutorial site instead. Overall I did enjoy it and would recommend.

By Ekaterina

Jul 10, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, even though for a few moments I've got a feeling that the tasks were a little too difficult compared to what had been explained. But, I re-watched again and again the videos, reviewed the key concepts and peer comments, and in the end was able to make it. I highgly recommend this course to absolute beginners just like me, it gives you useful insights on what the Data Science is about.

By Ignacio D B

Jun 21, 2019

The course is well structured, but the time needed to complete it (if the person is not used to programming languages) exceeds what the course says. In addition, the only drawback of the course is the final assignment. It is sometimes time consuming and the questions are in some cases poorly worded deriving in learners confusion ( a lot of discussions in the forums have been opened because of this matter).

By Safeer U H

Mar 04, 2019

I think the course covers most of the theory part. It needs to add more of the coding lesson and quizzes as well. For instance, the small questions we receive during the video, there should coding questions as well. When we receive the coding questions directly in the coding assignment at the end of the week. It is quite difficult to do these questions. Overall, it was an amazing learning experience.

By K K M

The course is very informative and can be easily understood. It helps me to grasp the language easily and apply what I've understood through the exercises that they had. I think there's an incorrect answer on the peer review assignment about querying the 'Avon' and 'Beachwood' as the answers, and my answer as well, of the peers that I've reviewed is the same but the provided answer is different.

By Garrett C

Jul 15, 2019

I enjoyed the course and feel like I have a good grasp on the common SQL applications, processes, functions, etc. The videos were informative, but I wish there were more examples (and more examples to actually work through and practice with). Overall, I think this is a really good course to learn the basics of SQL and the final assignment is very thorough and helps solidify that understanding.

By Heloísa D F

Jul 19, 2020

Could have more visual examples, especially showing the output of queries. Also, could have a couple of additional videos in the end, showing some problem-solving situations, as I struggled a little bit with the questions on the inferential part of the final project. However, it was a good course, the length of the videos was perfect and it was very well divided. I think I learned a lot.

By Ninnart S

Feb 06, 2018

I found this course to be a good introduction to SQL. However, I noticed that there are some minor mistakes in the downloadable PDF files - some don't align with the video lectures and some slides are wrong. A few questions in the final peer review assignment were also very ambiguous. With that being said, I would still recommend this course to anyone who wants a brief intro to SQL.

By Vince L

Mar 15, 2019

It would have helped me to have more "hands on" use of the concepts right after they are presented instead of after many concepts are presented and then having to try to remember all of them. This is how you do this, then do it. It's like how Code Academy does it where they give you one step at a time to do and then on to the next step but not necessarily broken down that much.

By Dr J L S

Jan 25, 2019

A good, clearly-taught course. I feel like I've learned a lot and am CERTAINLY more confident with SQL than I was starting out. I'd be interested in an advanced course by the same people.

My only beef with the course was that some of the questions in the graded quizzes weren't clearly written, and this gave me a lot of grief (thus, 4 stars). Please consider vetting the questions.

By Milan D

Mar 30, 2018

Good overall course, I like the order of topics introduced and they're application to real world events. My only request for this course is that the topics go a little more in depth (explanation of more complex examples) and that there could be an optional video to watch where the instructor does the coding quizzes, and explains their reasoning behind the queries they create.

By slma

Jan 01, 2020

This course covers many great issues.

My only problem with this course is the way tackle SQL on the first 4 videos. I think I totally gut confused.

After, I read some articles which provided on reading material I fully understand the concept.

My suggestion is to change the sequence of some videos and put these videos after the student is done with reading part.

By Laleh S

Oct 05, 2018

The modules are carefully planned and precise. The reading materials are really helpful to get a better understanding of the subjects, and the quizzes at the end of each week are thorough and cover every important point. The one thing I can think of that can be improved is the way the teacher is presenting the lessons, it is unfortunately a little bit monotonous.

By 祁振煜

Jan 18, 2019

Thanks to this course I've found a job as data analyst, and now I write sql queries every day, which eventually make me sick of the select......from.....inner join*n......group by......lol Anyway it's a very efficient course that gives you all the necessary building blocks in a week (I finished it within several days). And the rest is gained gradually from work.

By Lydia N

Nov 25, 2019

This is a great opportunity for a beginner to learn the basics of SQL for data analysis. I'm confident that I can put SQL on my resume now! The end of the course is pretty worrisome though. It takes a few days after you've submitted your final for other people to finall review yours. You'll end up doing wayyy more reviews just to get others to review yours.

By phantomxx

Dec 22, 2019

It is a good course for beginners who are not familiar with SQL. You don't need to install anything but can still practice through the quiz to enhance the basic commands.

The problem is there are some mistakes in the course material and these wrong explanations may be misleading for the students who are new and don't have sufficient knowledge of SQL.

By Gregory A

Feb 07, 2018

I thought the course was, by and large, effective at communicating the lessons. The weekly quizzes and practice elements were also great. My only sticking point was in the final assignment. Having to update a .txt file (which is notoriously difficult to format) and review others' .txt files makes for a bumpy experience for the final assignment

By Shashank B

Jun 10, 2020

Content is fine but I feel that the last peer review assignment could be improved by adding much elaborate data definitions and metadata to give better clarity about concept of fields. Just UML diagram doesn't suffice for in depth analysis. Also, please allow a better sql editor to use, just one query at a time is bothersome.

P.S: Good job!

By Bourget R

Jul 25, 2018

I'm totally new to SQL and even as a beginner I found these lessons to be way too slow, assignments were interesting but the questions of the peer review were very difficult to understand. The teacher is very clear, the structure is logical and she's able to give good simple tips. I'll recommend this course for whoever wants to get into SQL

By Danielle M

Apr 24, 2020

I had issues with week 3. I think the outputs should have been included with the code during the videos so the examples would be more helpful. The forums were very disorganized. I commented on a post and asked a question but didn't receive help on either. Overall, I was happy with the class and am looking forward to the next one.