Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

2176 - 2200 of 2,959 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Christine M O

Jul 26, 2021

I learned a lot but I needed a lot of extra tutoring from my husband to really grasp some of this stuff. There needs to be more examples shown of data, SQL and output, not just SQL. And there needs to be more practice of basic queries to really get the foundation down. I feel like I was scraping the surface of the basics.

By Blair L

Oct 14, 2019

The course is easy to follow, well-explained and have enough hands-on to reinforce what we have learnt! However, the assignment and quizzes can be improved. Sometimes the contents of the quizzes are not covered by previous videos. Over all it is a good class for both beginners and people who want to refresh SQL concepts!

By James F

Aug 9, 2021

It was decent, covered a lot of questions I had about SQL (such as JOINS, performance difference between JOINs and SubQueries, etc) and encourages you to read further into the topics via external sources. However, there are parts that are very misleading, such as Views being only temporary, which is not always the case.

By Valencia

Jul 16, 2020

Not so difficult with previous limited knowledge of SQL. Videos could be better with actually showing the output of the code that were included. First time hearing someone say SQL as 'sequel'... or is this how it's actually pronounced? Instructor had a calm and soothing voice, although her body language was messed up.

By Melfard S

Apr 1, 2020

I like the course, it was well done and exposed me to many of the key features needed to continue my SQL learning. The websites and other resources were extremely useful. The only wish there were more opportunities to practice SQL coding, maybe guidance to another site with questions, or more sample quizzes.

Thanks,

By Joaquin J C

Nov 1, 2021

I​ would have loved more hands-on examples of how to use certain queries. In many occasions, I was forced to look up some concepts on YouTube to get a grasp of how it actually works and what results to expect instead of just a basic definition of what it does. However, it was a great and enjoyable course all along!

By Hannah M

May 1, 2021

I found doing practice questions on other site helped contextualize the basics, but this course is definitely best suited for someone who is a self-starter. There are contexts and scenarios not covered in this course, and you have to seek out other problems and retrofit your understanding to do well in this course.

By Yusuf E

Aug 28, 2018

If the final assignment was not so ambiguous (many questions are misworded leading to wrong SQL codes, it is almost impossible to decipher what is being asked exactly) this course would have got 5 stars from me. Otherwise I liked the pace of the material other than maybe Week 1 and I enjoyed the coding quizzes.

By John F B T

Dec 20, 2020

Good course, learnt the basics of sql and some of it´s features. However, i think more excersises should be made, as it make you feel you didn´t train enough. Maybe one good option would be letting people hae acces to some databases, and then use a SQL program installed in the computer and work from there.

By Jeroni C S

Nov 19, 2019

The course was great up until the final assignment which was very ambiguous. It was also a shame that they used such an old version of SQLite, where many functions are not available. However, I feel that it did fulfill the goal, which is to make their students be perfectly prepared for SQL in Data Science.

By Güray H

Nov 19, 2021

It is not one of those too much detailed courses and for some stuff you will need to look them up in a different source. And it lacks coding and testing in the lessons. Maybe with lab sessions it would be better. On the good side exercises are great and they make you learn the most things in this course.

By AKSHAT S

Jun 28, 2021

This course provided essential knowledge for using SQL in data analysis. The best part was the quizzes at the end of each module which enabled a complete practice of the concepts learned and the last exercise was very helpful to understand how SQL is deployed in solving real life data analysis problems.

By Sankalp B

Jan 12, 2018

It was a very good course. A person with no prior knowledge of SQL can easily learn this course. I would like to suggest that for certain sections like joins, date-time, the course provider may consider introducing some animation into the lecture videos to illustrate how data is being linked/extracted.

By Mayur G

Jun 9, 2020

The course is good but lacks proper explanation of queris and required some more illustrative way to show the handling of queries in videos.Requires proper graphics and additional programming interface to sshow and run the various queries discussed by the tutor in the videos for better understanding.

By UMESH S

Apr 30, 2020

Expect peer review section this course was good. That peer review section confuses a person that how to do the task and what needs to submit. So in the place of this peer review include completed a problem data along with instruction and some hints and grade that as other assignments of this course.

By Rafael E

Jun 24, 2020

The contents are very accessible and well done, as well the support tool for exercise is great!

However, you should consider to improve the final assignment questions. They are not clear and the database needs a code book with the metadata. It was tough to get the meaning of each field and tables.

By Marco S

Feb 16, 2018

As introduction to SQL , I have found it very useful and well structered in order to get a better a grasp on the topic. The only thing I will improve is the part concerning self joins which by the examples shown in the videos I didn't get all. Maybe add more examples.

To sum up, very good course.

By Jim F

Sep 23, 2018

Great place to start if you have absolutely no SQL experience. Videos are well paced and thorough. The final project could use some cleanup--as indicated by the forums full of people asking the same questions. I'd take another in the series if it started around the level of windowing functions.

By Mukhammad E

Apr 13, 2020

How can i say about this course. Overall, course isn't bad, neutral. Tutor's pronunciation and English is so good and accurate and she always try to explain the course in detail. Disadvantage of this course, it is so theoretical and doesn't have many practical explaining during the lesson.

By Marko M

Sep 4, 2019

Course gives very good info for beginners. I just wish there were more exercises between lessons. I felt overwhelmed by all the informations that I had to memorise before doing test at the end of each week. I think having more tests in between lessons would help me better memorise things.

Sep 19, 2021

The course is really great to learn basics quickly however it has huge drawback and that is grading peer asignments. Coursera should have courses without this. As i can not invest time in peer grading, now I can not get certficate though I have scored excellent in all the course quizes

By Yang G

Oct 8, 2018

The course is very good for a sql starter to get to know the coding world. I would recommend any starter in our company to take this course. However the final assignment is a bit confusing and peer grading created a lot of stress... that's the only reason for the 4 score instead of 5...

By Nimeriya

Apr 15, 2021

It was my first course in SQL and I liked it. In general, that's a good course with a lot of practice. Some things were tough and it would be better to cover them by more examples. Anyway, the course helped me to learn SQL and I'm going to explore the data world with my new knowledge.

By Kevin D

Oct 4, 2021

AS someone who has never taken a data science course before, it was a good start. Some of the assignments required me to seek some external sources for extra material and learning but it was worth it. SQL is such an interesting language and I can't wait to use it for future careers.

By Catherine T

I like the overall look, feel, and organization of the course. It was well paced and simple to understand. I struggled at times with coding questions as some are very ambiguous and there isn't always an easy way to find guidance in the forums. Overall, though, I was very pleased.