Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

2601 - 2625 of 2,848 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Wendy W

Mar 2, 2020

The lecture videos covered the topics in a very general way and gave examples of the code. However, I found there were not enough coding exercises to cover all the functions learned. In addition, I learnt the syntax and how to use the different functions mostly through my own research using external tutorial web sites. The lectures served more as an outline of topics rather than as a stand-alone learning tool. I was fine with this as I like learning independently but there could be more of a practical element to the course. The final assignment wording ought to be reviewed by the course co-ordinator rather urgently as a number of the questions were unclear and ambiguous as to what was required. The marking scheme also does not allow differentiation between good answers utilising good coding versus inelegant coding / passable code that could be better. Overall, a useful introduction to SQL and I felt like I got a good overview but lacking in technical practice.

By Adrian G

Jan 10, 2018

I Think this course makes a good introduction to SQL for analytics.

However I noticed many instances where the explanations were wrong or too simple. Many times I would get frustrated because having only a partial understanding of how the functiosn work leads to many mistake : " a little knowledge can do a lot of harm ". The wording was one of my worst fears when looking at questions, often it would not be precise enough and you would wonder what they really want as an answer.

But as I said it was for me a good introduction, I wouldn't call it more than an introduction. I also learned to learn SQL by myself and to find queries that could be done in a way that agrees with my own sense of logic.

Conclusion: good introduction, the course still needs some refining.

By Neeraj R

Jun 1, 2020

I don't like to give negative feedback on educational courses, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement in this one. There are a lot of key concepts that are just touched on briefly, but no examples or further explanation is provided. There also needs to be more intermittent quizzes to reinforce learning and practice the material being taught, than just one quiz at the end. Another gripe - some of the questions in quizzes and tests are very poorly written.

Some positives though - it is structured and fairly short and sweet, and the progression system keeps people feeling motivated.

Overall, I would recommend people to look at other options and look for something that is more holistic and well put together.

By Marston G

Apr 14, 2020

Two recommendations

1) Given that I've moved over to another course in the series, I'm really enjoying Mode.

I think it provides a much more realistic environment vs. the one that Coursera used in the first course.

2) Several of the examples only showed the SQL queries, not the output. That makes it much harder to understand how changes in the queries would impact results.

As an example. Imagine in the section around joins if you presented a split screen. One showing the SQL query, the other the results. Then you show here's the results of a Inner Join, here's the results of a Left Join, here's the results of a Full Join, etc. and then you can compare and contrast these.

By Samuel T

Feb 3, 2018

Really not sure how to rate this class. The lessons were great. I learned a lot. It was a good overview of SQL. The learning quizzes where you actually use SQL in the browser to answer the questions was slick. However, the final project was very poorly worded, most of the businesses in one table were not in the other tables because they did a poor job of selecting records from these tables to set things up which makes joins very hard to do, and the rubric at times didn't make sense or didn't even have you grade a question that you spent a lot of time on. I spent far more time on the project than I thought necessary.

So great course, terrible final project. 3 stars?

By Pratyasha P

Feb 7, 2018

Was in need of a class to get back into database and this class was just perfect. I wouldn't say it's for a complete beginner or at least not for me. I was glad I had one to two database classes under my belt. Otherwise I would have difficulty following the class. The final assignment was tricky in it's wordings. But it's doable as long as you have watched and followed all the video. Sadie, the instructor is a great speaker and is very clear when she speaks. The best takeaway from this class was the very last video from Week 4, where she talks about lot of good practices one should follow when programming. I will keep it in my mind, definitely.

By Rubi P

May 22, 2021

I really enjoyed the course, I think it covers the basics pretty good, as a first time using SQL I think I got a good grasp over the topic, exercises and materials were simple and easy to follow. I personally enjoy the professionalism of the teacher, she was very sweet and funny, but at the same time during multiple videos it was really hard for me to follow on what was said because the way the teacher spoke felt very unnatural, as if it was being read for the first time as she was trying to explaining it, making it very distracting and difficult to follow along.

Overall I think it's a great introductory course to SQL!

By Yuelai J

Aug 26, 2019

As can be seen in the discussion forum, the course is not really so well designed. I found some difficulties during the process even if I have learned programming before at intermediate level. The language sometimes is confusing. The lecture examples in the last two weeks weren't helpful in understanding the concept and improve coding, though the coding test is not hard to pass. The course has improved according to the discussion but won't be so helpful if you really want to get some solid skills in SQL. I came for this course for prerequisite and I actually studied at UC Davis before, so a little disappointing.

By Suzette L

Mar 4, 2018

The lectures are fantastic but the final course project was a nightmare that was poorly worded so that you had to spend a long time trying to figure out what the questions meant before you could attempt to answer them. Also the database was restricted to 10,000 rows which meant that when trying to answer questions there were so few relevant results from queries you couldn't do much. This resulted in even more wasted time. There was no mentor help on the forum that was actually useful - other people had asked questions based on the same issues and the responses were of no help.

By Christopher S B

Apr 23, 2020

The interface, video demonstrations, and lectures are good; however, there is a lot of information; its hard to go back and review the information unless you re-watch the videos; there are no handouts or other notes you can reference. The quizzes and assignments are difficult to complete due to some errors with the quiz content. There needs to be glossary of terms that the learner can reference during the quiz. I'm only in week 3, so maybe the remaining weeks will get easier now that I've practice with SQL syntax a little bit.

By Anne N N T A

Jul 5, 2020

The course content overall is very good, with assignments being appropriately challenging and thus facilitating learning better than some other introductory Coursera courses. That said, the final assignment in Week 4 is an overkill, and the estimated duration needed of 2 hours is a severe underestimation, especially taking into account the fact that it is also peer-reviewed, requiring not 1 but 3 reviews. If you are taking this course with a deadline in mind, do leave plenty of time for the peer-reviews to come in.

By Eric B

Feb 6, 2018

This course has great potential, but as of February 2018, it is still not fully fledged out: the lectures focus on general SQL examples with data science mostly in the background. The part that I found the most relevant with regards to data science was the final peer-reviewed project. Sadly, the studied data set was badly truncated to an arbitrary size of 10,000 records in each table, without taking into account relationships between records, which made most attempts at any kind of analysis dubious.

By Jack G

Dec 13, 2019

There were times that I felt like I didn't understand the material enough and the examples were sometimes lacking. Also the final assignment was really poorly worded so it could be difficult at times to understand what the questions were asking for. but overall. it was helpful. If you don't know a thing about coding I would advise that you look somewhere else, since this class expects you to know the basics about coding. However if you are familiar with coding it is passable

By Vítor A M R

Sep 4, 2020

The content of the course was good. Sometimes I got lost during the explanations, because the professor did not point to the board to help us follow what she is talking about.

The assignments also were interesting and helped us understand the theory. However, sometimes the exercises were not clearly written. I also found that there is little support in the Forums, giving the impression this is an abandoned course, which is a disrespect for those who paid for the course.

By ROHIT G

Aug 30, 2021

The initial classes were really good. But from Week 3 onwards, it was getting a little complex. And in the course while showing the examples, the lecture does not show the output because of which everything was bouncing off my head. Similar thing happened in Week 4 classes for a few cases. For a beginner who has not experience SQL at all these issues will badly effect their progress and will leave them clueless making them to think for a different choice of course.

By Cal T

Apr 7, 2020

The exercises were extremely helpful to practise the concepts but I struggle to follow the video tutorials. While it was useful to have the coding / working displayed on the screen, I wanted to also see the output so I know what it will look like. The Peer Review assessment was also hard to work on as some of the questions were not worded clearly. Otherwise, I do think this course met expectations and I have a much better understanding of what SQL can do now!

By Craig S M

Sep 20, 2021

This is an introductory course for SQL. While the course does cover basic topics at times this feels very shallow and fast. There is a massive gap between the quality of the tutorials and the difficulty of the graded quizzes. I had to resort to hours of study outside of coursera using different resources to help me complete assignments. I would not recommend this course. There are far more thorough and free courses on youtube.

By Laura S H

Apr 29, 2020

The videos were nice and easy to follow, and the quizzes were good too. The first part of the final assignment was fine, but the second part was very confusing and difficult to understand, so completing the course became quite difficult. Also, it seems like there was very little help to get through the forum for the final assignment, which just made it more difficult. Would give 3.5 stars, but I can't give half stars.

By Anshul G

May 15, 2021

The instructor was good but could have simplified the queries and then have taught it to us.

I joined a SQL course on another portal to brush up some concepts and then came back to this course as the instructor and the pdfs weren't exactly clear. Overall, the courses were good and a little pre knowledge is required for this course. A person who doesn't know anything about SQL can't have an easy path with this course.

By Francisco R

Oct 1, 2019

This is a mostly a course intended to review, that's to say, you need to have prior knowledge of SQL if you want to make the most out of it. If you're just a beginner, I wouldn't recommend it though, there are a lot of things that remain unspoken and are important. Readings are okay, but in my humble opinion they fall short to what SQL world can really offer. This, I consider it mainly a sneak-peak.

By Kiran G

May 27, 2021

It is a good course but could be better. beginners find it hard to understand what Mrs. Sadie actually means as some lectures are missing examples to better understand. I found the prompt reading by the teacher a bit flustered too which made it difficult for me to grasp what she wants to convey. I don't mean to be rude that was my personal experience. the first 2 weeks are fine though. Thank You.

By Cristian F D C

Dec 8, 2020

It's a nice start for beginers, the videos and the quiz between courses are good.

But, maybe you should be more responsable with the final exam, it was not so clear considering english it's not the natural language of us and not always its the same to translate and to interpretate. By the way, the database used in the last exam requieres a check, and please, enable "INSTR" function in SQL fields.

By Alexander S

Aug 10, 2020

Good overview, and you will learn soemthing for sure. Some course notes would greatly help. Also, sometimes in the videos it could help if a cursor would highlight on which part of the slides we are currently talking about and the SQL code in theslides should always go woth the output, so that a beginner can easily grasp what is going on. Some mindor mistakes in the assignments also.

By Nikolai A

Jan 4, 2018

Only reason I did not give this class 5 stars is because the final project is horribly organized and very difficult to through - it doesn't test your ability to use SQL or solve data science problems, but your ability to figure out what the instructor wants.

Besides that, the lectures are great and engaging (and short, so you can't get burned out), and SQL is very fun to use!