Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

2726 - 2750 of 2,940 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Orzumand K

Feb 14, 2020

The course is very good for beginners but you need to do your own homework. No actual coding was practiced in this course so I had to learn it on my own. Also, got very confused with understanding RDBMS and differences between SQL/SQL lite and etc. Overall, course was informative and helpful in learning SQL.

By Thiago G

Targeted to business people - explanations might feel unsatisfactory if you're more of a programmer. Final assignment took me a lot longer than expected as it required solving problems for which the course have not prepared me - the optimists will say that's a little of a real life learning experience.

By Sagar G S

Jul 11, 2020

It was good content but I wish after each concept or syntax, there was a sandbox example in-between videos cause it will help understand better and in terms of syntaxes not tested in the final review, we might have forgotten. Also, the peer-reviewed assignment was a bit much for my learning objective.

By Gunjan s

Jun 6, 2020

I feel the knowledge shared in the course was not extensive and also the lessons could have been more practical. Since I have already had hands on on the SQL DB's before, it was less of a challenge for me but overall content and the topics covered were good. Only if it could be more elaborate.

By Sing Y L

Jul 8, 2020

This course is OK. But the problem is mentor seldom answers your question in the forum, so once you encountered any problem, it's hard to continue. Also, the elaboration in the lessons can be improved with the aid of the output table, since only showing the code is inadequate for beginners.

By Shihabun S

Oct 20, 2020

Assignments and practice quizzes are great. Lecture videos should include ER diagrams because without them learners need to imagine the tables and application of each topic discussed. Also lecture videos should include more examples of each SQL function for better understanding.

By Daniel B

Jun 4, 2021

I found the final peer-review project to be a good challenge, but disproportionate to the challenges that preceded it. The material is fine for a foundational course but I felt the instructor really didn't add any value beyond what reading from a page or a slide would provide.

By Cristiane d S C

Sep 7, 2020

The course is interesting and really focuses on the basics, so it's good for people who know nothing about programming or SQL. I didn't like the final assignment, though. I felt it was too difficult compared to the content of the course and the Forum wasn't very useful to me.

By Udit B

Mar 12, 2020

This course teaches the very basics of SQL but in the final assignment gives real world problems, that was never mentioned in the course span. How to use the queries for analytics and gathering data and coming to some conclusion, these things are not available in this course

By ken k

Sep 15, 2021

Would be better to be able to see how examples play out. The whole course is just videos made up of 3-4 slides as backgrounds. No code is ever run so you can see the queries run. I had to seek out and download SQLite and a sample DB to run test queries to practice on.

By Md A A

Jan 18, 2021

The quizzes are lot more demanding than what we're taught. Good for someone who knows the basics of sql or other coding language (python or R) and wants to go over them. Too difficult for one who has no experience in any coding language and wants to learn here first.

By Daenara

May 28, 2018

I give it three stars because I did learn a few things.

I think my only recommendation is to add some more practise coding before the quiz available . For example, after we finish a video, have a practise code since coding is learnt by doing more often than anything.

By Zacharie L

May 4, 2018

This course is great at getting you started in SQL. The complexity of the assignments however exceed the practice questions available. Further there are not enough practice questions to become fluent in using the concepts described. Feedback: more practice questions.

By Sarah S

Jun 9, 2021

T​his was a good course, but as with other Coursera courses there is not enough practice of the material. The assignments are easy to do if you already know the subject being taught and very, very difficult if you are just relying on material taught in the course.

By Nazmus S S

Nov 6, 2019

I think this course does not provide opportunity to learn sql practically. It only gives the theory of sql language, which I think is not sufficient to get the whole idea. Another thing, the quiz and questions are way too harder compared to the lectures provided.

By Martina M

May 4, 2020

I think some parts are not explained well and lack of examples, furthermore complicated topic are treated fast and easy topic are treated in a deeper way. I found myself in difficulties and there isn't a way to ask a mentor more infos about the topic.

By Andrii Y

Nov 9, 2020

This course can give you knowledge of basics of sql queries (at least I got), but there not enough examples of how they work and practice, not enough ability to write queries on your own, sometimes not very clear explanation or mistakes in examples.

By Charla S

Nov 24, 2017

This is a basic SQL course. I'm not sure why it is called "SQL for Data Science" other than that is a catchy title. I took this course to refresh my SQL skills. It did give me an idea of where I am weak, but I don't feel I achieved my objective.

By Carlos E P M

Apr 18, 2018

El curso fue muy básico.

En mi opinión hubiera sido mejor si los contenidos de las semanas 3 y 4 fueran más prácticos.

Las preguntas del examen final tenían una redacción muy pobre y ambigua, y no había mentores encargados de solucionar dudas.

By PETWE G G

Mar 30, 2020

After the 2nd week, the instructor just introduces new concepts and does not explain the working of the algorithm. Also, more or less the video length should increase and more examples should be discussed.

Overall the course is great !!!!

By Manoj K

Sep 29, 2021

The biggest issue is the lack of practice . They try to stack on lot of things and ask a quiz at end of a week which is the only mean of practice. Coding doesn't word that way atleast could have given some practice after every lesson.

By David T

Jan 7, 2018

Quizzes and assignments require a lot of knowledge not actually covered in the course forcing you to search for information elsewhere.

Questions are not clear in many tests creating incorrect answers which are not of the learners fault.

By Ben W

Aug 14, 2021

T​he course teaches good information but many of the quizzes involve information that was barely (or not at all) covered in the lessons. It would help if they fixed this or were at least more active in the forums to answer questions.

By Monica W

May 2, 2018

This course is okay but I feel like they need more practice queries not just a test and you never got to try it before also the questions need to be better explained. Other than that I feel like I did learn the basics of SQL

By Allen P

May 27, 2021

I learned some basics about SQL and enjoyed it, but I think there wasn't enough practical instruction about how the code is used. It made it hard for me to figure out how to get the data I was asked for in the assessments.