Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

MP

Jul 18, 2020

best course for learning SQL for beginners.I learned so much from this course.the speaking language is also simple ..So i Recommended this course for beginners who's 2nd or third language is English.

1376 - 1400 of 1,927 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Ninnart S

Feb 06, 2018

I found this course to be a good introduction to SQL. However, I noticed that there are some minor mistakes in the downloadable PDF files - some don't align with the video lectures and some slides are wrong. A few questions in the final peer review assignment were also very ambiguous. With that being said, I would still recommend this course to anyone who wants a brief intro to SQL.

By Vince L

Mar 15, 2019

It would have helped me to have more "hands on" use of the concepts right after they are presented instead of after many concepts are presented and then having to try to remember all of them. This is how you do this, then do it. It's like how Code Academy does it where they give you one step at a time to do and then on to the next step but not necessarily broken down that much.

By Dr J L S

Jan 25, 2019

A good, clearly-taught course. I feel like I've learned a lot and am CERTAINLY more confident with SQL than I was starting out. I'd be interested in an advanced course by the same people.

My only beef with the course was that some of the questions in the graded quizzes weren't clearly written, and this gave me a lot of grief (thus, 4 stars). Please consider vetting the questions.

By Milan D

Mar 30, 2018

Good overall course, I like the order of topics introduced and they're application to real world events. My only request for this course is that the topics go a little more in depth (explanation of more complex examples) and that there could be an optional video to watch where the instructor does the coding quizzes, and explains their reasoning behind the queries they create.

By slma

Jan 01, 2020

This course covers many great issues.

My only problem with this course is the way tackle SQL on the first 4 videos. I think I totally gut confused.

After, I read some articles which provided on reading material I fully understand the concept.

My suggestion is to change the sequence of some videos and put these videos after the student is done with reading part.

By Laleh S

Oct 05, 2018

The modules are carefully planned and precise. The reading materials are really helpful to get a better understanding of the subjects, and the quizzes at the end of each week are thorough and cover every important point. The one thing I can think of that can be improved is the way the teacher is presenting the lessons, it is unfortunately a little bit monotonous.

By 祁振煜

Jan 18, 2019

Thanks to this course I've found a job as data analyst, and now I write sql queries every day, which eventually make me sick of the select......from.....inner join*n......group by......lol Anyway it's a very efficient course that gives you all the necessary building blocks in a week (I finished it within several days). And the rest is gained gradually from work.

By Lydia N

Nov 25, 2019

This is a great opportunity for a beginner to learn the basics of SQL for data analysis. I'm confident that I can put SQL on my resume now! The end of the course is pretty worrisome though. It takes a few days after you've submitted your final for other people to finall review yours. You'll end up doing wayyy more reviews just to get others to review yours.

By phantomxx

Dec 22, 2019

It is a good course for beginners who are not familiar with SQL. You don't need to install anything but can still practice through the quiz to enhance the basic commands.

The problem is there are some mistakes in the course material and these wrong explanations may be misleading for the students who are new and don't have sufficient knowledge of SQL.

By Gregory A

Feb 07, 2018

I thought the course was, by and large, effective at communicating the lessons. The weekly quizzes and practice elements were also great. My only sticking point was in the final assignment. Having to update a .txt file (which is notoriously difficult to format) and review others' .txt files makes for a bumpy experience for the final assignment

By Shashank B

Jun 10, 2020

Content is fine but I feel that the last peer review assignment could be improved by adding much elaborate data definitions and metadata to give better clarity about concept of fields. Just UML diagram doesn't suffice for in depth analysis. Also, please allow a better sql editor to use, just one query at a time is bothersome.

P.S: Good job!

By Bourget R

Jul 25, 2018

I'm totally new to SQL and even as a beginner I found these lessons to be way too slow, assignments were interesting but the questions of the peer review were very difficult to understand. The teacher is very clear, the structure is logical and she's able to give good simple tips. I'll recommend this course for whoever wants to get into SQL

By Danielle M

Apr 24, 2020

I had issues with week 3. I think the outputs should have been included with the code during the videos so the examples would be more helpful. The forums were very disorganized. I commented on a post and asked a question but didn't receive help on either. Overall, I was happy with the class and am looking forward to the next one.

By Cristina R

Jan 10, 2020

This course gives a really good introduction to SQL, no pre-knowledge needed and it feels like the level reached at completion of the course is very satisfying for a 4-weeks program.

The final assignment is a bit confusing and could be improved, but the lecture videos and practice quiz at the end of each module are very well done.

By Sandra C G

Apr 26, 2020

Liked the lessons a lot, the examns and the assignment is slightly more complicated to the queries shown on the videos though. The level of exercises shown in the video lessons should be higher so students know what to expect from the exams and assignment. Aside from that, explanations are clear and the course is very enjoyable.

By David P B

Jan 02, 2018

Great material and videos. However, the questions on the final are ambiguous and can be very challenging, and the final as a whole can take much longer than the anticipated 2 hours. On the other hand, if you can make it through the final, you will come out with a great introductory understanding of SQL by the end of the course.

By Cara M

Mar 03, 2020

I enjoyed the course and definitely know and understand SQL statements now. In the future, it would be helpful to provide additional tips on where to practice your SQL statements to help those of us who need that extra help.

The instructor was very clear in the videos which made it easy to follow. Thanks for a great course!

By Amber L

Feb 14, 2020

The course was informative and well- structured. However, I wish the course had more example problems in the lecture videos. I also wish the lecture sides showed the results of each query instead of just listing out the query. Overall, I feel like I had a good overview of SQL and some rudimentary knowledge on utilizing SQL.

By Blair L

Oct 14, 2019

The course is easy to follow, well-explained and have enough hands-on to reinforce what we have learnt! However, the assignment and quizzes can be improved. Sometimes the contents of the quizzes are not covered by previous videos. Over all it is a good class for both beginners and people who want to refresh SQL concepts!

By Valencia

Jul 16, 2020

Not so difficult with previous limited knowledge of SQL. Videos could be better with actually showing the output of the code that were included. First time hearing someone say SQL as 'sequel'... or is this how it's actually pronounced? Instructor had a calm and soothing voice, although her body language was messed up.

By Melfard S

Apr 01, 2020

I like the course, it was well done and exposed me to many of the key features needed to continue my SQL learning. The websites and other resources were extremely useful. The only wish there were more opportunities to practice SQL coding, maybe guidance to another site with questions, or more sample quizzes.

Thanks,

By Yusuf E

Aug 28, 2018

If the final assignment was not so ambiguous (many questions are misworded leading to wrong SQL codes, it is almost impossible to decipher what is being asked exactly) this course would have got 5 stars from me. Otherwise I liked the pace of the material other than maybe Week 1 and I enjoyed the coding quizzes.

By Jeroni C S

Nov 19, 2019

The course was great up until the final assignment which was very ambiguous. It was also a shame that they used such an old version of SQLite, where many functions are not available. However, I feel that it did fulfill the goal, which is to make their students be perfectly prepared for SQL in Data Science.

By Sankalp

Jan 12, 2018

It was a very good course. A person with no prior knowledge of SQL can easily learn this course. I would like to suggest that for certain sections like joins, date-time, the course provider may consider introducing some animation into the lecture videos to illustrate how data is being linked/extracted.

By Mayur G w

Jun 09, 2020

The course is good but lacks proper explanation of queris and required some more illustrative way to show the handling of queries in videos.Requires proper graphics and additional programming interface to sshow and run the various queries discussed by the tutor in the videos for better understanding.