Back to Capstone: Your Story

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Your Story by Wesleyan University

Everything comes together in the Capstone. You will draft a complete story, narrative essay, or memoir of 8–15 pages. With the advice of your peer readers, you will revise, rewrite, and complete it. The skills you’ve learned of plotting, setting, physical description, characterization, and stylistic clarity and innovation will culminate in an original work of art all your own. We’ll discuss the steps that professional writers take to bring their work into the public world. Along the way you’ll learn the patient habits of revision that make up the writer’s life....

AM

Oct 25, 2018

It was challenging and inspiring, one of the best courses I have taken. I took my writing to new places and learned quite a lot : ) Thank you so much for the opportunity and platform for learning.

PM

Jul 07, 2017

This has been a wonderful opportunity and journey, one of learning how to tap into innate skills of creativity, inspiration and penmanship. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 69 Reviews for Capstone: Your Story

By Nevil

Jan 17, 2019

Brilliant! Would be enhanced to have a template for outline a story for future students, if possible

Cheers,

Nev.

By Milagros V

Jan 21, 2019

This last course in the Specialization walks you through the process of writing, editing and submitting a short story. Salvatore's prompts, interviews and the advice form other writers are very helpful. This is truly a capstone of the other four courses in the Specialization. I never believed I could learn so much and improve my skills just by doing the exercises, understanding the principles and finding my way of putting them not practice. Many of the pieces form other participants that I had the opportunity to review were really great. An amazing specialization in all regards. Thank you to all the professors that shared their insights and experience and metored us!!

By Raul N C G

Mar 07, 2019

Excellent! Worth doing.

Cheers

By Cornelia B

Mar 29, 2019

Had a feeling the Capstone Project will be good but it is truly excellent. I highly recommend completing the Capstone after doing the other four courses - it is like having dessert after a four course meal.

By David S

Feb 05, 2019

I finished this program, was invited to Mentor for one of the specializations, so let my capstone story set for a while ... then spent the last month polishing pages ... and submitted this afternoon to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, one of the few 'pulps' left for short story writers of crime and mystery. Win, Lose, or Draw (Accept, Reject, or ReWrite) I NEVER would have gotten this far without the class and some excellent feedback from classmates. If you're ever planning on "finishing that story" and having others read it, this class is for you!

By Evita K

Jan 24, 2019

I enjoyed it and advise others to take it :)

By Kartik S

Jul 16, 2018

Very helpful! Must take

By Francisco R S H

Jul 19, 2018

I loved it. It was a great opportunity to learn how to write a story.

By Liliane M

Jul 30, 2018

Excellent!

By Ivan L A

Jun 26, 2017

Helped me more than all the books I read about creative writing combined.

By Jessica R S

Jun 02, 2017

It's a whole lot of work, but I am enjoying it a lot.

By Joel R

Dec 21, 2016

Really enjoyed doing the capstone project! It was difficult at times, but totally worth it in the end!

By Ryan O

Jun 08, 2017

This was a very valuable experience.

By Mary C

Apr 04, 2017

I loved this class. The instructors were so gentle, articulate, and specific with their advice, and the instruction was excellent. I'd love to take it again and again. It did a lot for me as a writer personally, and I enjoyed seeing what other writers were doing. Highly recommend!

By Sarmad A

Oct 03, 2016

You will get what you bring to the table - if you're an avid reader and have the smarts - you'll learn a LOT. Take note of the various books being recommended and read those too. Some of your classmates may not be producing the best work - don't worry - you do YOU and learn at your best level. It really helped me breakdown the basics of Writing and I now read books with a new eye. A new understanding of the art being disseminated. A wonderful course. Well designed.

By adriene j

May 12, 2018

Pacing just right; helpful assignments; solid, constructive teaching; tough yet encouraging peer review

By David L

Oct 01, 2016

I've learnt a lot ! Excellent course!

By Paulo S

Jan 08, 2018

Very challenging exercise. Good contents.

Aug 02, 2017

The resources have been great tools to help design and finish a polished piece. A great course for all kinds of creative writers!

By Gicela H y G

Jun 08, 2017

An excellent course aimed to improve your writing in the best way possible!

By Esther M

Feb 21, 2017

This is a great series. Stay with it all the way through!

By Stine

Sep 29, 2016

It was a great course. I learned a lot. It's just sad that some people don't understand how hard it is to write in another language.

By Lori B C

Mar 14, 2017

The entire 5 module experience was wonderful, enjoyable, stressful (in a good way), inspirational and encouraging. The Professors, the readings, the assignments coupled with the peer reviews made this online experience as close to a real classroom experience as I had hoped it would be. The course gave me the tools needed to keep going myself, as well as tools for reading generally, in a more critical way and, editing tips which are always, invaluable. I looked forward to each new week for the structure and, for seeing what would be required of me for that particular week's assignment and, most weeks, I surprised myself with what I did write. I am sorry that the course is over but I have taken away so much! Thank you.

By Salvatore P

Dec 22, 2016

A great process for any writer.

By Ibrahim N

Mar 08, 2017

I really enjoyed this specialization course from the University of Wesleyan. All mentors and guests were providing very valuable and helpful information for the beginner writers and course participants. I mastered some skill which will be very useful for me during my creative writing career and that is why I want to declare my deep thankfulness to all member of this team who made such a great specialization and Capstone project.