Back to Capstone: Your Story

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Your Story by Wesleyan University

Everything comes together in the Capstone. You will draft a complete story, narrative essay, or memoir of 8–15 pages. With the advice of your peer readers, you will revise, rewrite, and complete it. The skills you’ve learned of plotting, setting, physical description, characterization, and stylistic clarity and innovation will culminate in an original work of art all your own. We’ll discuss the steps that professional writers take to bring their work into the public world. Along the way you’ll learn the patient habits of revision that make up the writer’s life....

AM

Oct 25, 2018

It was challenging and inspiring, one of the best courses I have taken. I took my writing to new places and learned quite a lot : ) Thank you so much for the opportunity and platform for learning.

PM

Jul 07, 2017

This has been a wonderful opportunity and journey, one of learning how to tap into innate skills of creativity, inspiration and penmanship. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 69 Reviews for Capstone: Your Story

By David S

Feb 05, 2019

I finished this program, was invited to Mentor for one of the specializations, so let my capstone story set for a while ... then spent the last month polishing pages ... and submitted this afternoon to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, one of the few 'pulps' left for short story writers of crime and mystery. Win, Lose, or Draw (Accept, Reject, or ReWrite) I NEVER would have gotten this far without the class and some excellent feedback from classmates. If you're ever planning on "finishing that story" and having others read it, this class is for you!

By Evita K

Jan 24, 2019

I enjoyed it and advise others to take it :)

By Cornelia B

Mar 29, 2019

Had a feeling the Capstone Project will be good but it is truly excellent. I highly recommend completing the Capstone after doing the other four courses - it is like having dessert after a four course meal.

By Raul N C G

Mar 07, 2019

Excellent! Worth doing.

Cheers

By Milagros V

Jan 21, 2019

This last course in the Specialization walks you through the process of writing, editing and submitting a short story. Salvatore's prompts, interviews and the advice form other writers are very helpful. This is truly a capstone of the other four courses in the Specialization. I never believed I could learn so much and improve my skills just by doing the exercises, understanding the principles and finding my way of putting them not practice. Many of the pieces form other participants that I had the opportunity to review were really great. An amazing specialization in all regards. Thank you to all the professors that shared their insights and experience and metored us!!

By Kartik S

Jul 16, 2018

Very helpful! Must take

By Federico B S

Jul 31, 2018

Fantastic experience. I found myself reviewing a story by a well-regarded author. I learned a lot from reviewing the writing of others. That alone is worth the five stars. The commentary I got back was not that thorough, but when people took it seriously it was quite helpful and encouraging.

By Jack H

Aug 01, 2018

Overall, I found this course to be VERY ENJOYABLE. My ONLY concern was that the PDF requirement was not stressed at the very beginning of the course. Because I have only an old refurbished computer that does not have top of the line features, making PDF files did not always work as planned. OpenOffice and Adobe Acrobat sometimes easily converted to PDF for submissions, but sometimes did NOT. That made it difficult for some reviewers to open. Had I known earlier, I would have bought a new computer and avoided some frustrating submission difficulties. I really appreciate the effort some people had to go through to open my odd submissions. They gave me some valuable tips in their critiques that I might have missed out on had they not persisted. SO: Suggest at the outset that writers using paleolithic equipment like mine, check to see if their computers can generate PDF files. It will eliminate a lot of cussing later on.

Other than THAT, I had a great time, learned a lot, and HIGHLY recommend the program. Wonderful teachers!

~Jack Hayes

By Francisco R S H

Jul 19, 2018

I loved it. It was a great opportunity to learn how to write a story.

By Juanita J W

May 11, 2018

I really enjoyed the capstone. I received some great feedback regarding my story but I was disappointed because most time I only received two instead of three reviews. I feel the reviews are the most informative because they are the reader responses to the lessons covered each week so I think it should be a goal that is met each week even if a mentor must step in to provide that final review.

The reviews are also an opportunity for me as a writer to improve my editing skills. It is also an opportunity that forces me to make sure there is a positive in the critical reviews of the pieces. I make sure i review my words to be sure they are not negative but offer guidance and words that will make the writers want to continue writing and improve. As students we all came to this specialization for skills and a chance to publicly share those lessons within our pieces not negativity.

I am glad Coursera provided me with this opportunity to take advantage of this specialization because I am a better writer because of these five courses and their instructors. Thank you.

By David L

Oct 01, 2016

I've learnt a lot ! Excellent course!

Aug 02, 2017

The resources have been great tools to help design and finish a polished piece. A great course for all kinds of creative writers!

By Gicela H y G

Jun 08, 2017

An excellent course aimed to improve your writing in the best way possible!

By Esther M

Feb 21, 2017

This is a great series. Stay with it all the way through!

By Alexey F

Aug 30, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

By SERGIO J H G

Apr 18, 2017

Excelente curso

By adriene j

May 12, 2018

Pacing just right; helpful assignments; solid, constructive teaching; tough yet encouraging peer review

By Susen E

Feb 14, 2018

This program has been a wonderful experience. It's given me an opportunity to hone my writing skills and learn to accept praise and criticism. It's been a pleasure getting to know my classmates through their stories. I will miss their creativity and competence. My only regret is that it's over! I want to keep on going. Perhaps I'll take the specialization again......

By John E S

Jan 29, 2018

Great course that really caps the four that preceded it! It's a great experience to explore my new and enhanced writing abilities and have them put to the test in the peer review proces.

And very interesting to view other's capabilities and progress.

Many thanks to Salvatore and the rest of the team for their great guidance and example!

By Paul M

Jul 07, 2017

By Ivan L A

Jun 26, 2017

Helped me more than all the books I read about creative writing combined.

By JOHN Q

Mar 06, 2017

Really fun and a course I used on my first two books which will be published at amazon this month.

By Lori B C

Mar 14, 2017

The entire 5 module experience was wonderful, enjoyable, stressful (in a good way), inspirational and encouraging. The Professors, the readings, the assignments coupled with the peer reviews made this online experience as close to a real classroom experience as I had hoped it would be. The course gave me the tools needed to keep going myself, as well as tools for reading generally, in a more critical way and, editing tips which are always, invaluable. I looked forward to each new week for the structure and, for seeing what would be required of me for that particular week's assignment and, most weeks, I surprised myself with what I did write. I am sorry that the course is over but I have taken away so much! Thank you.

By Salvatore P

Dec 22, 2016

A great process for any writer.

By KayCee K W

May 11, 2017

Really enjoyed this class, and the others that goes with it!