Back to Transformation of the Global Food System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transformation of the Global Food System by University of Copenhagen

The UN predicts we will be 9-10 billion people on Earth in 2050. Providing so many people with nutritious foods is a massive challenge and one that cannot be met by simply upscaling current practices regarding food production and consumption. Providing humanity with nutritional food is at the center of all decisions related to sustainable development. Agriculture is responsible for 80% of global deforestation. The food systems release 29% of global greenhouse gasses. We use an area equivalent to North and South America combined for the production of meat for consumption or to produce the food necessary to feed the animals we eat. 70% of fresh water use is related to agriculture. These figures are staggering, and they show us, that we need to rethink and transform the way we produce, distribute and consume food worldwide. This course focuses on how food systems can become more sustainable. It consists of four modules where each focuses on an essential ingredient towards developing more sustainable food systems: (1) Boosting the small, (2) Transforming the big, (3) Losing less and (4) Eating smarter. In each of these key areas, we will meet people from different countries around the world, who labor every day to find and spread solutions that work. Connecting the challenges that must be overcome to develop a sustainable global food system with the solutions being developed by the amazing group of people you meet in this course has been a huge source of inspiration for me. I truly believe that the global food system can be transformed to sustainably meet the needs of 9-10 billion people and, with this course, I dare you to join me!...

RW
Oct 29, 2020

This was a fantastic course and along with the other course in the sustainable development goals has only highlighted my interest in continuing this on after my masters research into a PhD. Thank you!

SV
Jul 9, 2021

I can easily send a single powerful message :- switch over to labor intensive, cost effective, eco friendly and long lasting organic agriculture, unrefined diet and foods with no chemicals.

126 - 150 of 169 Reviews for Transformation of the Global Food System

Sep 18, 2020

Great

By GLORIYA V

Aug 26, 2020

Good

By AFNA T A A

Aug 15, 2020

Good

By Sooraj s

Aug 12, 2020

Good

By Mona A A

Jul 1, 2020

good

By Yagoda P M G Y

Jul 18, 2020

By Sahala P S

Aug 27, 2020

By Bayu C

Feb 21, 2021

I really enjoyed the course, An online course like this is very convenient for people who cannot attend classes in another city.

Thank you for such a great course, great presentation style, it has been informative and rich of materials. I've learned new things. This has more than met my expectations.

I learn about the global food system as a whole, explore everything from individual food choice to the impact of agriculture on climate change. And how the future of food will be shaped by a change in our attitudes towards consumption and production. And also how sustainable agriculture and food systems can play a part in creating this future.

By Sameen J

Mar 28, 2021

A good introduction to the issues surrounding our food systems. I realized how massive an impact our food systems have on the planet. Many of the environmental challenges we currently face can be traced back to how we operate our food systems. We have reached a tipping point where our actions now will determine the future of generations to come. This course makes an excellent case as to where changes are urgently needed and where we can make maximum impacts to achieve the biggest sustainably gains to save our world.

By AMISHA D

Sep 13, 2020

This course provides an important perspective on how the whole food systems plays a crucial role in being the highest GHG emissions contributor, the important factors of the same, and the transformation, which can help us feed all mouths today as well as in future and yet make the planet more sustainable. Lot of actions that can be taken at an individual level, by making minimal changes!