Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SZ
Aug 27, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

151 - 175 of 898 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Angel D M G

Apr 3, 2020

Excelente curso, una muy buena forma de enseñar la denotación y connotación de las letras y palabras, el impacto que pueden tener y las composiciones que se pueden lograr

By Joshua B

May 16, 2018

Love this course, really inspired a love a typography in me that i never new existed, as well as teaching me some handy skills. Words will never look the same. 5 stars :)

By Hezekiah A

Jun 19, 2017

I will recommend all student who attempted the graphic design course to also take on the introduction to typography, its necessary i n understanding fonts and their use.

By Nathaniel M Z

May 10, 2016

I love this course my introduction to typography is great. The lesson wasn't too much to handle. We focused on the basics and I learned to appreciate type and it's usage

By Stefan D

Mar 14, 2016

If you get confused every time you open the font selection dialog then this course is for you. It well structured has a lot of visuals. I highly recommend this course.

By Mark H

Sep 8, 2020

I learned so much about Typography in this course. In my opinion, this course requires the most note-taking of the five classes in the Graphic Design Specialization.

By Joel D B

Nov 19, 2017

Very good and well-structured introductory course. Information is clearly laid out in engaging videos, and each new exercise builds satisfyingly on the previous week.

By David A V D S

Apr 29, 2018

In this course I took a new experience in relation to what I knew I have several years as a freelancer and only now I understand how to get to know the types. Great!

By Anusha M

Jul 2, 2020

The course is very detailed and informative. Provides very good material on typography, history of typography and efficiently dissects the properties of typography.

By Leisa R

Feb 17, 2017

This was my first introduction to Typography. I played around a little with calligraphy as a hobby. I learned so much from taking this class and by far my favorite.

By Tristan S

Jan 11, 2018

A really informative course. The lectures tie in nicely with the assignments, which have given me a much greater understanding of how to use typography in my work.

By Aakanksha T

Apr 13, 2016

As a self-taught designer, this course helped me learn a lot more about typography than good ol' hands-on experience has, to date. Great course. Thanks so much! :)

By Brianna P

Apr 6, 2016

This class gave a great introduction to Typography! The instructor did a great job at bringing Typography to life. The content of the course was very approachable.

By SHAFIA N

Jul 31, 2020

Its amazing!

In this cours i read about typefaces and create logo.

I don't know! What is topography?

But when I read about it ,then I am understand topography .

By Zackary A K

Jul 5, 2017

This was a very enjoyable introduction to Typography. The more I study typography, the more I am able to appreciate the high quality of this brief introduction.

By Muhammad T

Feb 19, 2021

The course was very informative. A graphic designer needs to learn the basics of typography and this course can improve your skills in the field of typography.

By Giovanny V

Sep 15, 2019

clear, concise information delivered on every lecture... I really enjoyed the assignments they got me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to experiment...

By Kristen B

May 24, 2018

I absolutely loved this class! The teacher is so thorough and the assignments make implementing what I learned so much better. Everyone should take this class!

By Sanskruti

Apr 18, 2016

Great intro to typography. I enjoyed it and feel more confident in understanding basic typography and now know where I can find information on type! Thank You

By Stephen M H

Aug 8, 2020

Anther Kiley provided a very concise, yet detailed, history of typography that kept my attention, hitting upon many of the big events in typographic history.

By Ginger H

Mar 23, 2016

I have been working with Typography for the last 10 years and still learned a lot from this course. Very informative and will be useful in the years to come.

By Maria F

Jul 20, 2020

An awesome introduction to working with typography. Learning the basic rules, history and putting it into practice has really helped my overall design look!

By Konstantinos A

May 29, 2019

Great Course I learned so many things! In fact I do not hink that I would be able to set up my design master Thesis if not for this course 💪🏻☝🏻 great job

By Saeed A

Dec 18, 2020

This course is the best course in typography, it gives you a good insight about the typography starting from its history all the way to the best practices.