Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

151 - 175 of 972 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Yunshu

Jan 8, 2017

I have learnt a lot from this introduction course. The peer reviewed assignments also give me the opportunities to see works from other students and inspire me more. Thank you!

By Anna M D

Apr 21, 2021

I loved this course! The assignments are super helpful. It is even better if you read the suggested books and if you have a basic working knowledge of Illustrator or InDesign.

By Verasha N

Feb 3, 2021

A very good course which helps hone typography skills and make them more effective in your design. Also very easy for anyone new to typography and wanting to learn the basics.

By QUIAWAN, D M (

Oct 25, 2020

Thank you very much!!! In a short period of time, I have learned new terminologies and gained new design perspectives that are remarkably significant to my chosen career path.

By Eva H

Nov 26, 2017

Great course. I love the videos; they are short, specific and right to the main points. I enjoyed all the assignments and creating my designs from scratch.

Thanks to the tutor!

By Veena V

May 9, 2016

The course material is very informative and delves into the history and evolution of typography. The assignments are very interesting and help understand the concepts better.

By Malena P

Nov 9, 2020

This course shares valuable information, the facilitator is clear and friendly in his explanations and the exercises are interesting. Really enjoyed the experience. Thank you

By Audrey R M

Oct 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. The video presentations are not only informative but interesting as well. The prof is knowledgeable and good at explaining concepts. Five stars.

By Eugenia R

May 12, 2020

I really appreciated the clarity with how the classes are given, and the projects really makes you understand or at least put into use all that was given in the weeks videos.

By udit k

Dec 26, 2017

I liked it. I am graphic designer by profession, but some things are highlighted only when you make the effort to take such courses which provide a brief in-depth overview.

By Mirza B

Aug 22, 2017

A must take course for Graphic Designing learners. Faculty was very helping and lectures & assignments are not too difficult for the ones having some background knowledge.

By Kassandra G

I think the course is excellent but I stumble upon different cases of plagiarism in the assignments. So maybe the instructions could be clearer to avoid these situations.

By Angel D M G

Apr 3, 2020

Excelente curso, una muy buena forma de enseñar la denotación y connotación de las letras y palabras, el impacto que pueden tener y las composiciones que se pueden lograr

By Josh R

May 16, 2018

Love this course, really inspired a love a typography in me that i never new existed, as well as teaching me some handy skills. Words will never look the same. 5 stars :)

By hezekiah A

Jun 19, 2017

I will recommend all student who attempted the graphic design course to also take on the introduction to typography, its necessary i n understanding fonts and their use.

By Nathaniel M Z

May 10, 2016

I love this course my introduction to typography is great. The lesson wasn't too much to handle. We focused on the basics and I learned to appreciate type and it's usage

By Stefan D

Mar 14, 2016

If you get confused every time you open the font selection dialog then this course is for you. It well structured has a lot of visuals. I highly recommend this course.

By Mark H

Sep 8, 2020

I learned so much about Typography in this course. In my opinion, this course requires the most note-taking of the five classes in the Graphic Design Specialization.

By Joel D B

Nov 19, 2017

Very good and well-structured introductory course. Information is clearly laid out in engaging videos, and each new exercise builds satisfyingly on the previous week.

By Nicole B

Apr 9, 2021

I really enjoy learning more about typography and its history. The instructor was very good at explaining the origin of the facetype and its properties. Thank you.

By David A V D S

Apr 29, 2018

In this course I took a new experience in relation to what I knew I have several years as a freelancer and only now I understand how to get to know the types. Great!

By Anusha M

Jul 2, 2020

The course is very detailed and informative. Provides very good material on typography, history of typography and efficiently dissects the properties of typography.

By Leisa R

Feb 17, 2017

This was my first introduction to Typography. I played around a little with calligraphy as a hobby. I learned so much from taking this class and by far my favorite.

By Tristan S

Jan 11, 2018

A really informative course. The lectures tie in nicely with the assignments, which have given me a much greater understanding of how to use typography in my work.

By Aakanksha T

Apr 13, 2016

As a self-taught designer, this course helped me learn a lot more about typography than good ol' hands-on experience has, to date. Great course. Thanks so much! :)