Back to Understanding Korean Politics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Korean Politics by Yonsei University

This course will select six most outstanding issues in contemporary Korean politics and will engage in an in-depth, interactive inquiry of those issue. They include Korean politics in history, institutional setting of Korean politics, and dynamics of political culture in Korea, profiles of political leadership, myth and reality of the developmental state and the Korean economic miracle, and debates on Korean unification. The course will expose students to contending theories and empirical reality at first hand. After completing this course, learners will be able to 1. Grasp the most salient and timely aspects of Korean politics.. 2. Place South Korean politics in comparative perspectives. 3. Digest a delicate mix of theory and practice regarding Korean politics. 4. Come up with new interpretations of political development in South Korea. 5. Most importantly renew their genuine interests in Korea and Korean politics....

N
Sep 17, 2020

I would recommend this course to anybody who wants to learn about politics. Mr Chung in-Moon is a fantastic teacher and makes it seems like a story. I hope to be his pupil one day in real time.

NL
Jan 2, 2020

The course was very interesting and professor did amazing job explaining politics and history in very short amount of time. Highly recommended course and will definitely use in my career.

1 - 25 of 45 Reviews for Understanding Korean Politics

By Jhoan A R S

Aug 28, 2019

In this course, I could learn, investigate about Korean politics. I am sure, people that will do this course like me will have a more criticist thought and more information to talk about Korea. Thanks to Yonsei University and Professor Chun-in Moon for giving me this knowledge and this opportunity.

By Tsagolova M O

Apr 1, 2019

This course was really useful for me. But I would suggest to post reading materials as direct links to the files, since mentioned readings are often costly or they are not in the open access regime.

By Matthew P

Nov 27, 2016

An excellent course for anyone who wants a good overview of the Republic of Korea and it's political history.

By Renyan S

Jun 18, 2017

The professor has explained the politics in Korea in a historic context. There are some thoeries implanted in the course, but the prof always illustrates them with concrete examples. The course is not biased, considering the perspectives of the conservative and the progressive. What I love the most is the case study after the introduction of professional terms and theories. It leads to a better and deep understanding of Korean politics. I enjoy the course pretty much. What I would expect is that the prof would give an extra part about the impeachment and its impact on the Korean politics and also the impact of Chaebol on Korean politics. Although I sign up for the certificate, I still believe opening the graded quiz to those who are paying makes the course more accessible.

By Tamala K P

May 25, 2017

A very insightful and unbiased course, opening up a new understanding of today's Korea. The explanations of contemporary's Korea's politics in relation to history are profound and easy to follow.

What I also like, is that you're given the opportunity to write a short comment on a selected topic concerning the respective week's syllabus. Together with the tests, which are, unfortunately, not available for grading unless you upgrade your course, they allow you to consolidate your newly attained knowledge.

By Jennie S

May 23, 2017

Excellent learning experience. Comprehensive coverage of topics from past until present, objective and double-sided insights, very easy to follow chronologically and entertaining at the same time with Prof. Moon's casual English. The course is content heavy but does not bore. Only downside is that the weekly quiz cannot be taken unless we upgrade to receiving a certificate!

By Sophia S

May 6, 2020

I had a great learning experience thanks to this course. I've enhanced my knowledge of Korean history, institutions and political views. This course really helped me in achieving a wider comprehension of political dynamics in Asia, which is essential for my own studies and career path. I truly recommend the course. I can't wait to learn more.

By İlhan T

Jul 21, 2020

I have a deep interest in Korean Culture and language. I have been studying Korean and i have been following news and current events about Korea regularly. Although my major is electrical engineering, i have been easily understood the course and in future it will be very helpful to understand Korean culture more.

By Neha Y

The course is recommended to anyone who wants to understand Korean peninsula politically and economically. The professor did the best job to explain this big timeline in short time effectively. I, now can understand Korean diplomatic relations better. Thank you Yonsei University and Chung-in-Moon Sir!

By Francisca I Á M

Oct 20, 2020

¡El curso y las clases son excelentes! De poder explicar en poco tiempo tanto la economía como la política de Corea, es un excelente curso para quienes quieran entender de mejor manera la historia y la política. Bastante recomendado y las explicaciones del profesor Chun-in Moon son muy gratas.

By Yakelin S

May 7, 2020

Excellent class that provides great info from the very beginning centuries ago and brings it to the present. The instructor certainly masters the topic. The graphics and photos do facilitate and/or clarify what the instructor is bringing into consideration.

By Benjamin C V C

Nov 27, 2016

Great all-round with both factual and theory basis. Plenty of recommended literature and complementary sources. I really recommend this course for those that wish a deeper understanding of the Republican history of South Korea.

By Nauroze G

Sep 17, 2020

By Nino L

Jan 3, 2020

By Laura R

Oct 11, 2020

Very informative course! It’s content heavy but I have a much better understanding of Korean politics and its complexities! I can’t wait to return Korea with this new understanding!

By Alejandra C P

Sep 28, 2020

El curso es excelente, está muy completo y abarca desde los tres reinos hasta las relaciones intercoreanas y la unificación en la actualidad. Lo recomiendo ampliamente :D

By Eliane M A T V

Jun 18, 2020

A very comprehensive course that goes from the basic framework to the particular about Korean political affairs. Dr. Moon has a brilliant delivery as well.

By Vanessa R G

Oct 8, 2018

Excellent course! I probably learned must of the things I needed to know about Korean politics, causes, consequences, future scenarios, etc.

By Fawaz Q

Nov 23, 2019

My first certificate and course in Coursera! I really liked it and it does give you a good understanding of Korean politics in all aspects.

By Arusyak H

Aug 9, 2020

A nice course for beginners who want to know more about Korean political history, political system and the main issues in Korean politics!

By Eduard P W

Nov 14, 2017

I loved it, the transcript could use a little correction on some words.

THe9nstructor;what a honor to have him!

By Ting S Y

Jun 6, 2020

fantastic. quiz questions were relatively manageable. would highly reccomend if interested in korean politics.

By Helly

Nov 14, 2019

I really enjoyed this course- broadened my perception of Korea and I would love to work there soon.

By Andaleeb A

Aug 25, 2017

Great course covering the evolution of Korean politics from post-Korean war to modern day.

By MARIANA C D P E S

Nov 19, 2020

O curso foi muito interessante, pude aprender sobre o panorama geral de forma eficiente.