Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA
Sep 20, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

JK
Sep 10, 2020

This is a fantastic course to run your imagination to it's top! You can built your own game world and show it to other students. The learning curve is definitely improving with this course!

26 - 50 of 165 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Sohaila A

Sep 21, 2019

By Joon T K

Sep 11, 2020

By Xavier E

Apr 22, 2020

Great course !! It was very inspiring ! I loved every single aspect of it, and Théo is very enthusiastic and we can feel his love about game design and imagining new worlds and universes !

By Ran C

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a effective learner so I can't get much from it, but I certainly learn some rules for building world, I would review these contents some days, thank you so much for your teaching!

By Rodrigo G d C

Mar 10, 2016

Great Course, highly recommended, great explanations and nice ideas to help you think diffently about level and world design, concise and clear and has creative exercises. Loved it.

By Tatum T

Feb 7, 2018

The videos are nice and clear, and I love seeing examples for the homework, it really helped. I also loved reviewing my peers and having them review me, they had awesome ideas!

By W B

May 8, 2019

This had been a great course, instructor Théotime did a great job in breaking down the process of building a game world and taking it out from a mere concept to written words.

By Jeremy K

Jun 29, 2016

Fantastic! The coursework and lessons were designed to get you started building the framework for your game world. The course got me started on my new game!

By Aron A

Oct 18, 2016

Great course! A lot of new and useful stuff. I really enjoyed another part of Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization. Keep up the great work, guys!

By Ana A

Dec 16, 2015

Excellent course! I studied animation but I didn't know much of the world aspect for game design. This course it's also helpful for animation field.

By Sofia L

Oct 11, 2016

I loved this I think video game design and creation is the new way to learn code and complexity of design. Great experience thank you so much!

By PAWAN P J

Dec 8, 2020

Nice and simple, and although I had to drop it temporarily, I could pick it back up without losing speed later on.

By Hawra F A

Oct 13, 2020

A great introduction to world design! The assignments were great! I didn't know I'd like visual research so much!

By Álvaro B F

Aug 30, 2016

A totally great course that makes clear the concepts we should be careful with when developing video games.

By Ana G V F

Jul 13, 2020

A really nice and enjoyable course to learn about World Design for Video Games! I loved it very much!

By Angelo B

Feb 2, 2016

A very good experience, but if it could've helped me to find a job it would have been even better.

By 刘树宇

Oct 3, 2016

This course is very good and you can learn a lot of knowledge.Then you can design a better game.

By José D

Jan 27, 2016

I learned a lot in this course, it was very helpful. World design is key to defining your game.

By Gabriel d J C

Mar 29, 2021

This course is obliged from every person who wants to follow the career in gaming industry

By Christopher M

Dec 13, 2016

This course was amazing and great. I loved it. It helped me so much with my own project :D

By Jennifer C

Dec 27, 2015

Fantastic course - doing the assignments forces you to really think about your game world.

By Miranda C d S

Dec 13, 2020

I had never felt so motivated to create a brand new world before! This course is great!

By 万锦阳

May 3, 2017

I really like it! It helped me to established the abilities to create a game-world.

By Ionut M C

May 7, 2019

A must-have. Love it so much. Great instructor, really passionate about the topic.

By Jessica W

Dec 15, 2016

Definitely a challenging course but I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot!