Back to Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript by University of London

In this course you will learn three key website programming and design languages: HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You will create a web page using basic elements to control layout and style. Additionally, your web page will support interactivity. At the end of the course, you will be able to: 1. Define the purpose of HTML, CSS and JavaScript 2. Make a simple web page using HTML 3. Use CSS to control text styles and layout 4. Use CSS libraries such as Bootstrap to create responsive layouts 5. Use JavaScript variables and functions 6. Manipulate web page content using JavaScript 7. Respond to user input using JavaScript In this course, you will complete: 2 assignments writing HTML, CSS and JavaScript, each taking ~1 hour to complete 4 quizzes, each taking ~20 minutes to complete 1 programming exercise~30 minutes to complete multiple practice quizzes, each taking ~5 minutes to complete Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes....

CM
Oct 10, 2017

Thought the course did a great job of teaching the basics without getting too ahead of itself. All of the sample code was well commented out to explain exactly what the code did which was very helpful

DA
May 26, 2018

This is an excellent course for the basics in html, css and js I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wanted to build a simple but interactive website using one of the many frameworks available

1101 - 1125 of 1,519 Reviews for Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

By Laurent L

Apr 2, 2016

I liked the course a lot and learned the basics of html, css and javascript. My main suggestions for improvement would be to extend the course over 8 weeks and spend more time on each subject. I also believe that if we were asked to do an assignment per week (so 8), it would have pushed us to deepen our understanding of the subject matter. That said, I very much enjoyed the course. I also love coursera and the work of all schools that participate with them. Thank-you and keep up the excellent work and valued effort !

By Valery M

This course is an amazing introduction to web programming. It is surprising how much you can learn in just four weeks. My only complaint is how steep the learning curve is, in week three I (and many other of my course-mates) did not understand some of the concepts we were being taught. The teachers always assume you will continue with the specialization, and say things like "this will be taught in more detail later on".

Besides that, it was great and I totally recommend it.

By doug c

Dec 27, 2015

Esta bien para comenzar, pero muchos de los contenidos que se necesitan saber para completar tareas y quizes no aparecen en los videos y al investigar cada tema el tiempo real que en el que se termina el curso se extiende, quiza sea de lento aprendizaje, pero lo ideal seria incluir los contenidos necesarios para llevar a cabo las tareas. Pero aun asi le doy cuatro estrellas porque aprendi bastante aunque tuve que ajustar las fechas limites 2 veces seguidas.

By Trang P

Feb 29, 2016

This course was very well organized, but I felt there were big jumps between the lessons within the modules. I would follow fine up to parts 7 or 8 out of 9 or 10 total parts, and then I would be lost. I know there is quite a bit to HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and the professors did a great job to separate the components. For a beginner, I would have liked to spend a bit more time on HTML and CSS for full comprehension before delving into JS.

By Russalia K

Jul 13, 2016

The course was great and I will be happy to continue with the next one from the stack. There was only one thing, which I would improve - the JavaScript lessons. They were not well explained at all and quite often I felt lost in the videos. I needed to know why the code was written like that, why was there a dot and a space, etc, not see it already written and just go with it.

By Evadry G

Feb 13, 2016

Great introductory course. The HTML and CSS modules were flawless. The JavaScript module was interesting and useful, but I felt it moved too fast for a beginner, especially someone who doesn't program in any other language like myself. Overall loved it, and will highly recommend it to friends and co-workers. I had so much fun that I went ahead and signed up for the next MOOC!

By Cedric H

Feb 13, 2016

I've learned a good deal about coding in HTML, CSS and JavaScript through this course. My only complaints are that the lecturer often whizzed through typing portions of the code during his lecture that I had to use more time than my schedule allotted reviewing the video slowly, and that some topics in the test questions didn't match any portion of the lecture.

By Karl S

Feb 17, 2016

I wouldn't mind if it meant one less certificate but I think it would be great if they let you test out of this and jump right into the 2nd course in the series. The first course is awesome for anyone whose never done any web design before, even if you have coding experience, but its absolutely excruciating for anyone with more basic knowledge of web design.

By Sam D

Dec 14, 2015

Good concise overview of the basic web design languages - this is a good jumping off point for people looking to get in to Web Design.

Keep in mind though, this covers a very large amount of material in a short amount of time. If you don't have any familiarity with coding already, you will likely need to do a lot of outside research to fill in the gaps.

By Lucy C

Aug 7, 2016

This course was really informative and the lessons were concisely executed. I recommend the course to anyone looking for a beginner's introduction to coding HTML/Javascript. My only criticism is that I'd like to have more peer-review projects to do, because I think letting other people check someone's work is a good way to see how they can improve.

By Edel J

May 12, 2016

Very well organised, explained and delivered. Good introdution to good web development. The only aspect I would suggest changing is leaving code visible on screen while under discussion as I found myself going back to see the code after watching someone talk about it. Its nice to see faces but I would prefer to see code as it is being explained.

By David M S K

Aug 22, 2017

Some useful knowledge on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, which allows for some understanding. The multiple choice quizzes do require a student to demonstrate a good level of knowledge and understanding. However, the practical assessments do not require the student to apply this knowledge sufficiently so that proficiency cannot be inferred from them.

By Pedro B

May 15, 2017

The classes were engaging, particularly the first half. The examples were pretty good, and both instructors showed command of the subject. My only gripe is with the tests. I'd expect something more elaborate. The "take a screenshot" thing was a little less demanding and didn't really tested the skills we've just learned. Otherwise great course!

By Amanda G

Feb 10, 2017

Overall, this course was a great introduction to the basic web programming languages for someone with little to no experience. My only issue was that the assignments could have been more challenging, and one in particular was not put together properly by the instructors (missing information to complete assignment) this has since been fixed.

By Nikolaos B

Mar 1, 2016

Well presented content.

It was a little bit weird for me to jump straight to jQuery and spending so little time on Javascript but it works out for the course. I would suggest a couple of more examples and explanation of general programming concepts with providing relevant pdf.

Generally a very good and content-rich course.

By Brett W

Apr 8, 2020

If you're familiar with web design, its a nice refresher. If you're new to things like javascript or css even you may have to watch a few vids once or twice, but the instructors are great at making it look and feel easy. If you race ahead, don't be surprised if you have to wait for peer-graded assignments to review!

By Shivam K

Oct 4, 2017

This course is for those who don't even know the fundamentals of HTML, CSS and JavaScript but want to build a web development profile. The content is comprehensive. The assignments are very interesting. But yes, you may have to wait for long for your assignment to be reviewed since the assignments are peer-graded.

By Rhythm S

Sep 8, 2020

Most of the course is very easy for beginners and intermediaries alike,

Although there were some issues in the third week lectures as the JQuery functions were not explained in an way that was easy to grasp.

But the assignments and other lectures are easy and explanatory enough. So, it's a good course.

By Ioannis G

Dec 25, 2015

Sharing a satisfied amount of knowledge, overall very good. The HTML videos were excellent. The one thing missing is the methodology on how someone starts to think and makes JavaScript code that delivers a solution to a problem. How do we do our approach? Flow charts would really help on this matter.

By FILIPPO F

Sep 3, 2020

Final quizzes should allow students to reason more and write (or research) code by themselves. A quiz where you have to copy/paste code doesn't push the student to improve. If the objective is to obtain the same graphical result, another way to approach the exercise could be to correct wrong coding.

By Juan R G

Feb 10, 2020

Course covers all front-end in a row! It is a lot of languages and web development for just four weeks. I am very happy since it help me to see the whole picture involving front-end. However, I think that it could be difficult to follow by people without any programming or IT background.

By Andriy T

Oct 14, 2015

In my subjective opinion there were a lot of time spended to explain some simple thing that probably could be easier to learn just doing more examples. Anyway it is very interesting and it seems you can teach us much more so I am waiting for the future courses. Thank's and see you soon!

By 任淑玮

Sep 10, 2019

Teachers are professional and the course makes me easy to understand web programming and get start to web programming, which is really important in my future career. Thanks so much. I just wondering that is there any further course can make me use those languages deeper and better?

By Yi-Yin,LIN (

Apr 10, 2020

As the name of the course this course is really basic and they don't have that much time to go through all the details about those 3 languages, you need to check some other material to help. It is still very helpful when you are a beginner and want to understand the basic concept.

By Bhadabhagni S B

Apr 9, 2019

Java Script course it more complex for the beginners. It could have been bit easier and more understandable way. and the mentor took only written code to explain the java script, but felt while explaining if he would have written code part by part it would be more interactive.