Back to Introduction to Operations Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Operations Management by University of Pennsylvania

Learn to analyze and improve business processes in services or in manufacturing by learning how to increase productivity and deliver higher quality standards. Key concepts include process analysis, bottlenecks, flows rates, and inventory levels, and more. After successfully completing this course, you can apply these skills to a real-world business challenge as part of the Wharton Business Foundations Specialization....

KR
Aug 24, 2020

Great Instruction by Prof Christian - very lucid and with real world examples. Learning a business skill is mostly learning observation.. Now I know what to observe when looking for productivity!

AJ
Oct 27, 2018

This is an awesome comprehensive operations management course. Although, the course in an introductory course, it covers pretty much everything you need to know about operations management.

26 - 50 of 479 Reviews for Introduction to Operations Management

By Edward T

Dec 22, 2020

Wonderful course. The professor is a German who obviously has a great nature and intuition for efficiency and reduction of waste. You will go through the many different concepts of operations management, including processing times, process capacities, bottlenecks, process utilization, labor utilization, labor content, and OEE. You will be connecting this all to the Toyota Production System, which you will learn was a wonderful innovation on top of Frederick Taylor's initial pioneering of scientific management. This inspired me to make my own work flows more lean and you will see that modern software development actually gets much of its project management methodology from the "Kanban" system of the Japanese. The problems are appropriately challenging, and you will not just zoom through them like you do with other Coursera courses. He makes a good challenge to really make you rethink whether you truly comprehended the concepts!

By Amy W

May 26, 2019

Incredible introduction to Operations and integral concepts for business functions outside of Operations. Having absolutely no prior statistics or probability theory education/knowledge, this course established said concepts through direct and easily understood practice problems and examples. Professor Terwiesch presents coursework clearly, providing visual working examples as he goes through the problems. I must say that professor Terwiesch is the only instructor yet whose humorous commentary contributed tremendously to the course content.

For me, there is nothing more exciting than productivity and efficiency. This course taught introductory methods for quantifying efficiency, establishing opinions and observations, and using said observations to further make efficient the process. A genuinely exhilarating insight into business processes.

By Timour A E E

May 22, 2020

Very well thought out. Clear, precise and rich in content. There are plenty of excercises to practice. I mean, in each module, so each week, you have a detailed review session (with generally 3 to 4 exercices with on average 3 questions each) followed by 2 other exercices on video followed by a homework session (generally 3 exercices with 3 questions each) and then the exam for the week. This is a great opportunity to practice and I really enjoyed it.

By Clifford H

Apr 14, 2020

I loved how the professor made his examples as practical as possible. I have now learnt some lean tools i can safely apply in real life. I had some few issues as to which format to present certain answers especially for those questions that were silent as to which answer formats were required (whether in decimals or percentages). All in all it was a great course. I look forward to completing other courses in the Business Foundations Specialization.

By Benoît C

Oct 27, 2016

A bit frustrating not to have the correct answers of the test when we fail, but it pushed me to redo them again and again until I figure out what the correct answer is. This is actually the best way of understanding and remembering the course content.

I really enjoyed doing this course as I discovered new knowledges and skills I had overheard before but never taken the time to learn.

Great course! I highly recommend.

By micah a

Feb 15, 2018

I really enjoyed the content of this course. The various aspects of operational optimization were explained very clearly and in an engaging manner. My only reservation about this course was how difficult the quizzes and homework were at time––especially in comparison to the relatively more straightforward in-class examples. All that being said, I am very glad I was exposed to this content. Thank you very much!

By Jessica K

May 14, 2020

I thought this class was really well balanced, structured, and timed. My only constructive feedback is that the homework and exams are sometimes much more difficult than the practice/review questions, and there is no way to understand what we get wrong and why. After course completion, any documents that could be sent to users to explain the homework and exam questions would be extremely helpful!

By Hancheng L

Jan 30, 2018

A very interesting and informative course, each chapter filled with real-life examples and experiments for easy understanding, even if you don't have any previous knowledge on economics/management. Prof. Terwiesch is really good, delivering the knowledge very concisely, with a health dose of humor about his "broken" English pronunciation (well not really). Overall a very solid course! Thank you!

By Lestari

Nov 18, 2020

This course really help me a lot understanding operations world, from process analysis, inventory, KPI tree, ROI, Defect, six sigma and control chart to Jidoka concept. It covers all. The best operations course so far! I strongly recommend this course for any individual who would like to improve operations process to support Sales revenue or just learn about things in operations.

By Pyro W

Jul 31, 2020

The Professor was diligent and most excellent. It was clear he structured the information and lectures for the learner to fully grasp the subject. Challenging concepts with practice and various application made it less overwhelming. I look forward to future engagement and expansion on Ops Management. A myriad of opportunities for lean principles to be applied and identified.

By Akmal A K

Feb 16, 2019

This is a very intensive real practise orientated course. Completing it is rather challenging but my first feeling after having just done it - it has been the most intensive and useful course I have taken on Coursera (Now I am a step away from completing my third Specialization on Coursera). Many thanks to Professor Terwiesch Highly recommend this course.

By Surojit D

Jun 20, 2017

This is an Introduction to the world of Operations management. The best thing about this course is that it goes in depth of almost every topic it touches upon. This course emphasizes on quality material and lucid explanation. The class hours are really interesting and the assignment are equally challenging. I'm glad I got a chance to study from the best.

By Jean G

Oct 15, 2017

This is a great course. I am the CEO/Owner of an aviation repair and overhaul company and I can put many of the concepts to use right away. We already use Kanban, but we don't have a way to measure the variability in our processes and to identify assignable causes. The course has given me great ideas. Thank you professor Terwiesch. Vielen Dank.

By Mrityunjay M B

Apr 22, 2020

This is probably the best course I have done on Coursera. It has a detailed and organised syllabus and focusses on basics. The best part about the course is that it does not test using MCQs. It gives situational problems which really tests our understanding and thus in that way help in the development of problem-solving skills and concept clarity.

By Luiz F R

Oct 13, 2017

Awesome Awesome guys! I am a big fan of Wharton University. I am in Rio de Janeiro, paradise beaches with my parents and this was the course I enjoyed and made me out of the see...

yeah... and definitely I will never ever in my life miss a bottleneck until the end of my existence kkkk

I look forward to wrapping the other courses... All the best!

By Chen Z

Jun 9, 2019

Quite heavy in content packed in a 4 weeks course. Enjoyed solving the problems and learning how to improve operations effectiveness. The 7 sources of waste and 3 key problems in operations are very insightful operations knowledge that I would have had a hard time figuring out myself should I not have taken this course.

By Rustem T

Oct 8, 2017

The course is really good, but it would be better to improve the presentations

Often more mathematically the task is formulated, than as real business case

I'm not a humanitarian) I'm a mathematician myself, by education "applied mathematics and physics" (MIPT)

In some tasks it is better to disclose all the assumptions.

By Abhishek A

Apr 7, 2016

Really liked the review video where we can really test our knowledge over the subject matter.The quizzes on offer are very intuitive testing our knowledge to a great degree.I would also request you guys to offer further courses with the same faculty so that we can take gain in-depth knowledge in operations management .

By Anantha K P

Jan 3, 2021

Its really helpful to understand basic of Operation Management, Quality control, overall production control .Appreciate Prof.Christian Terwiesch explanation on topics and examples. But it will easy to understand if he elaborate his explanation while working in excel and uses slides instead of writing.

By Unmesh D

Jun 15, 2017

I liked the simple and straight forward teaching style of the professor. Also, I really liked the REVIEW videos for all modules. I think this should be applied to other courses as well as they give consolidated information of what we learned in the module, which is very effective for writing the quiz.

By ranjoo s

Apr 29, 2020

Got me into a different perspective in all the things that I see in the manufacturing company that I work for(I am in sales). Now I know why my colleagues in Operations say what they say, and has given me an overall understanding of the entire process. Will certainly help me with my career ladder.

By Meet B S

Apr 25, 2020

It was a short 4 week course yet cover A to Z of Operations Management with the help of real life examples. I will never be able to just focus on eating my sandwich the next I visit a Subway restaurant. Only those who completed the course will understand the above statement. Thank you very much.

By DENIS F O

Dec 7, 2015

This course is taught in a way that improves potential for problem solving in operation management. In this course, remedies for problems that appear to be complex on the surface is simplified in ways that I could understand regardless of the fact that I had no business management back ground.

By Sathish K

Mar 29, 2017

The course content is delivered in a simple manner. The real life examples (customer care call) were amazingly apt to the topic and it deepened my understanding of the course. My interest in this course increased manifolds and I would like to take up a follow up higher level course in future.

By Emilio A B G

Feb 17, 2019

A lot of problem solving and the homework per week which is important to process and consolidate all this information, makes the course very practical. It could be more organized when showing the excel files and solving problems in Excel. Visually could be also improved (charts and slides).