Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA
Jan 28, 2021

great course with good videos and examples. Very good course for learning the basic statistics. Unfortunately the week 3 is the most misunderstanding module, nevertheless very good and understanding

926 - 950 of 971 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Nikita F

Sep 13, 2017

Unfortunately I didn't like this course – the basic things are explained in great details (which is not always necessary), but more complicated terms are not covered in the way they should.

By SRINIVAS R

Apr 2, 2016

some of the videos were outstanding and easy to understand. Need more handholding for understanding of concepts and review/explanation of the quiz results will reinforce learning further.

By Steph B

Dec 27, 2020

Some info was presented really quickly and the course notes didn't help. Very shallow explanation. Having a recommended textbook that go into more depth would have been great

By tressie p

Jan 4, 2020

I was expecting to learn basic statistic before diving into the programming. I did not take this class to get familiar with R programming. And it slow me down.

By Christina P

Oct 26, 2017

It was a really nice and informative course. As a statistics rookie, I can say with confidence that I now know the basics of Statistics! Thank you very much!

By Ladden D N G U

Oct 11, 2020

VERY INFORMATIVE COURSE, YET I AM NOT THAT FAN OF THE rLAB BECAUSE OF THEIR INSTRUCTIONS THAT ARE HARD TO GET.

By Bhupesh P

Mar 3, 2017

Course material is not enough, you need to also refer at least one reference book as well.

By Yutian L

May 16, 2017

if we can have a review before the final exam will help a lot. and the r lab is so hard.

By Troy B

Jun 6, 2021

good information but the coding is far too difficult for a class of this level

By Pankaj M

Nov 25, 2016

2 Stars less because they should have included R video tutorials

By SUNEWAD R L

Aug 1, 2020

good for the users , who wants to learn R lab coading.

By Kevin H

Mar 29, 2021

The R Labs are hard to understand and very difficult

By Christopher G

Apr 26, 2021

It would be better without R lab

By Sujoy S

Jul 2, 2020

THANKS

By Navya V

Aug 2, 2020

good

By Mutcherla S

good

By Anastasiya K

Apr 28, 2020

The course is good because it collects pieces of information together if you have studied something before. But I went through it for a very long time (relative to other specialization courses) and lost motivation several times, had to take breaks. Some topics are not described in such detail and with incomprehensible examples, which is why it is go difficult to solve problems. Tasks with R are generally difficult - but not because it's code (i'm good with it) – most often tasks were not related to lectures in the subject, and often instead of using functions and other convenient methods in R, you had to solve everything manually, simply substituting the numbers in the formula. But what's the point then in the code?

I would also like to draw attention to the fact that it’s very difficult to pass tests, sometimes the question and answer options are ambiguous, or it seems that there can be more than one answer.

Also important is the fact that the curators do not answer questions at all on the forum, I met questions written six months or a few months ago - and they were unanswered. How so?

In general, I am glad that I took this course, but I can’t say that it practically helped me. You will have to watch other courses to fill in the gaps and understand what was not explained here.

By Courtney v S

Nov 10, 2016

Not very helpful. In the homework I spent more time wrestling with commands in R than actually gaining an understanding of the subject matter.

Also, I really didn't need so many subject matter examples about the professor's baby's pooping habits. (And my family is Dutch with all the offensive humor that comes with it, so it's not just a matter of the sense of humor not translating)

I'm re-taking Statistics with Calculus online at my local state university and frankly, I can't notice any benefit from taking this course first. My current online Statistics with Calculus course is rewarding and I feel like I'm truly gaining mastery of the topics, whereas in the Basic Statistics course I was floundering.

The graphics in the way the lessons are presented are well done! But I would have been just fine with fewer graphics if it meant more worked-through examples.

By Bank E

Jul 23, 2020

The instructor failed to explain many parts; such as why we don't use T-distribution for proportion, why use n-1 instead of n in some equations, etc. The discussion forum is sooo quiet, I appreciate some students who try to help other out. R lab is the most annoying part, you barely need any understanding at all; all you need is remembering the function and understand the convention what instructions are telling you (which is so varying or sometimes not telling you and you have to go back to see what it is in the previous questions). I feel R lab is not useful.

By Dafna M

Dec 6, 2019

Most of the courses didn't feel like basic statistics, they were very hard, plus a lot of the presentations were difficult to understand. I felt that there is a significant disparity between the two lecturers; the way they present the learnt materials is very different. In several times i had a gap and had to look for more information online. This is called "basic statistics" and it felt like i was supposed to start the course with a previous knowledge which i didn't have.

By Mariana O

Jan 9, 2021

It is a difficult topic to understand on your own, without any support at all from professors. They go too quickly on each topic and it is hard to understand how to use it in practice. Despite the efforts in making attractive and easy to grasp videos (congrats for that), it is unfortunately not a topic for self-learning.

By Rosa L A

Jan 16, 2021

If you do not already know how to program in R this class is nearly impossible. I have a strong back ground in math and have had basic programming on the college level but could not finish this class. If you want to take this learn R first then take it.

By Hani O

Apr 9, 2021

I wish the course excludes the R ... time is wasted to implement by R and hence focus on syntax rather than practice on the subject itself which is stats. For example, it can be faster as a learner to implement using a spreadsheet.