Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA
Jan 28, 2021

great course with good videos and examples. Very good course for learning the basic statistics. Unfortunately the week 3 is the most misunderstanding module, nevertheless very good and understanding

951 - 975 of 980 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Navya V

Aug 2, 2020

good

By Mutcherla S

good

By Anastasiya K

Apr 28, 2020

The course is good because it collects pieces of information together if you have studied something before. But I went through it for a very long time (relative to other specialization courses) and lost motivation several times, had to take breaks. Some topics are not described in such detail and with incomprehensible examples, which is why it is go difficult to solve problems. Tasks with R are generally difficult - but not because it's code (i'm good with it) – most often tasks were not related to lectures in the subject, and often instead of using functions and other convenient methods in R, you had to solve everything manually, simply substituting the numbers in the formula. But what's the point then in the code?

I would also like to draw attention to the fact that it’s very difficult to pass tests, sometimes the question and answer options are ambiguous, or it seems that there can be more than one answer.

Also important is the fact that the curators do not answer questions at all on the forum, I met questions written six months or a few months ago - and they were unanswered. How so?

In general, I am glad that I took this course, but I can’t say that it practically helped me. You will have to watch other courses to fill in the gaps and understand what was not explained here.

By Courtney v S

Nov 10, 2016

Not very helpful. In the homework I spent more time wrestling with commands in R than actually gaining an understanding of the subject matter.

Also, I really didn't need so many subject matter examples about the professor's baby's pooping habits. (And my family is Dutch with all the offensive humor that comes with it, so it's not just a matter of the sense of humor not translating)

I'm re-taking Statistics with Calculus online at my local state university and frankly, I can't notice any benefit from taking this course first. My current online Statistics with Calculus course is rewarding and I feel like I'm truly gaining mastery of the topics, whereas in the Basic Statistics course I was floundering.

The graphics in the way the lessons are presented are well done! But I would have been just fine with fewer graphics if it meant more worked-through examples.

By Bank E

Jul 23, 2020

The instructor failed to explain many parts; such as why we don't use T-distribution for proportion, why use n-1 instead of n in some equations, etc. The discussion forum is sooo quiet, I appreciate some students who try to help other out. R lab is the most annoying part, you barely need any understanding at all; all you need is remembering the function and understand the convention what instructions are telling you (which is so varying or sometimes not telling you and you have to go back to see what it is in the previous questions). I feel R lab is not useful.

By Dafna M

Dec 6, 2019

Most of the courses didn't feel like basic statistics, they were very hard, plus a lot of the presentations were difficult to understand. I felt that there is a significant disparity between the two lecturers; the way they present the learnt materials is very different. In several times i had a gap and had to look for more information online. This is called "basic statistics" and it felt like i was supposed to start the course with a previous knowledge which i didn't have.

By Mariana O

Jan 9, 2021

It is a difficult topic to understand on your own, without any support at all from professors. They go too quickly on each topic and it is hard to understand how to use it in practice. Despite the efforts in making attractive and easy to grasp videos (congrats for that), it is unfortunately not a topic for self-learning.

By RosaLin A

Jan 16, 2021

If you do not already know how to program in R this class is nearly impossible. I have a strong back ground in math and have had basic programming on the college level but could not finish this class. If you want to take this learn R first then take it.

By Hani O

Apr 9, 2021

I wish the course excludes the R ... time is wasted to implement by R and hence focus on syntax rather than practice on the subject itself which is stats. For example, it can be faster as a learner to implement using a spreadsheet.

By Monica H

Oct 12, 2020

I struggled with understanding the concepts. At the first read, they made sense, but when trying to solve problems they stopped making sense. There were errors in the calculations too, and more examples would have really helped.

By Ante

Dec 15, 2019

This course is more about learning R-programming which is totally useless for me. The videos are nice. Try instead buying the book and do the excercises with python or excel.

By Andrea F

Dec 29, 2016

I've only gotten started, but there seems some assumptions made about how much we know and how quickly we can pick up these new terms and ideas.

By Clem O

Feb 25, 2019

The program is good. The videos not so much. The professors are speaking pretty fast. It would have been good to have some written material.

By yazhini c

Aug 16, 2016

R labs are too tedious for people with medical or science background! we need explanations rather than trying to figure it out on our own!

By Mayssaa D

Sep 17, 2021

The lecturer is very good but there is no reason putting R language in a basic statistics class.

By Stuart M

Apr 21, 2021

Unfortunately, this class wasn't useful in teaching me basic statistics.

By Lai J

Apr 29, 2020

shitty final exam questions. confusion on sample std or population std

By Tobias R A

Mar 23, 2020

If you don't pay it you can't do anything

By Mayank G

May 5, 2021

Very lenghty R labs to complete

By Ivan C

Jan 7, 2016

Damn R-Lab

By Gannon O

Jan 29, 2021

It started off well enough. Loved the visuals. Week 3 probablity was really confusing and my thoughts on the course started to change quickly. The R work helped a little, but I still didn't understand a lot. I feel like forumulas are thrown at you very quickly. It's almost like 'how much can we put into 5 minutes as quickly as possible?'. I'm at the end of week 4 now and quitting. I am not getting much out of this and tired of rewatching videos 5 or 6 times hoping to understand or memorize something. There is probably better use of my time. I will try Duke's version now.

How to improve this? Put some questions after each video. Waiting till the end to give the students some questions which causes them to go back and replay all those 'super fast' videos again - Feels a bit lazy as way to teach. Maybe its me.

Can someone on Coursera just simply teach stats without trying to tie in a programming language? Since its obvious by now, you guys can't teach both well in one course how about just focusing on one well? (I'm looking at you Stats w/ Python Univ of Michigan).

By Kleuber R A

May 20, 2021

The fact of aborting the subjects in a very fast and superficial way leaves something to be desired and ends up generating a lot of confusion both in the course and in the programming part. I would need more examples and activities so that knowledge could be absorbed more easily and intuitively. There are some calculation errors in the videos and the lack of some references associated with tables Z and T that generate a lot of doubts and confusion. Anyway, I expected the course to be more organized.

By Robert C

Aug 3, 2021

I was really enjoying this course in the first week and then I realised I had to switch from statistics to programming before moving on. I am doing other courses and needed to get my head around statistics so decided to enrol in this.

Then I realised we cant progress unless we learn R. Learning programming and statistical theory are two different things and I found the R lab very confusing.

Very disapointed will now have to look for another statistic course.

By Alyxx S B

Jun 27, 2020

The information was amusing sometimes, but the first 2 chapters are sexist. That aside - the "R Lab" is not relevant to the class. Also, the order is backwards - all the interesting theory parts are the last 3 chapters!

By Muhammad U Q

Nov 16, 2020

R Labs are a total waste and these should not be the part of the course as we are not here for the programming language, the sole purpose was to learn basic statistic not some programming language. going to unroll