Back to Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners by University of California San Diego

4.3

Are you interested in learning how to program (in Python) within a scientific setting? This course will cover algorithms for solving various biological problems along with a handful of programming challenges helping you implement these algorithms in Python. It offers a gently-paced introduction to our Bioinformatics Specialization (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/bioinformatics), preparing learners to take the first course in the Specialization, "Finding Hidden Messages in DNA" (https://www.coursera.org/learn/dna-analysis). Each of the four weeks in the course will consist of two required components. First, an interactive textbook provides Python programming challenges that arise from real biological problems. If you haven't programmed in Python before, not to worry! We provide "Just-in-Time" exercises from the Codecademy Python track (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python). And each page in our interactive textbook has its own discussion forum, where you can interact with other learners. Second, each week will culminate in a summary quiz. Lecture videos are also provided that accompany the material, but these videos are optional....

DL
Apr 17, 2016

I give this course 5 star because I did Bioinformatics I and I totally enjoy it.\n\nThis is where programming can be fun, and practical, and you'll learn some basic biology too.\n\nWhat's not to love?

HL
Aug 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this difficult and time-consuming course! It covers biological concepts using Python. It made learning Python more interesting for me, since I have always loved biology.

276 - 300 of 316 Reviews for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

By Clive T

Mar 26, 2020

Disappointing lack of feedback from any course organiser (most recent response seemed to be about two years old). The biological content tailed off to become much more of course in programming for search algorithms

By Akinyi O

Some background knowledge on coding is definitely needed for this course, despite the info saying none is needed. The progress expected is way too fast for an actual beginner with no coding experience.

By Saadman K

This is not for beginners. You need to know more about python to complete it easily and the time limits of Stepik is not correct. It needs far more time than mentioned.

By Ajith M

Jul 20, 2020

This course is definitely not for beginners. I was on the verge of giving up throughout the course. But once you get ahold of the concepts, it is very interesting.

By James O

Sep 16, 2019

The course tries hard to balance programming and biology but the programming can become quite a challenge for people with little to no experience in programming.

By Pablo R M

Mar 13, 2020

Not truly for beginners. If you don't have previous knowledge of Python and algorithms expect to invest a lot more than 4 hours a week

By Merna F

Sep 4, 2020

this course was very useful for me but it is very very difficult for a beginner, I was suffering from trying to understand it

By Chahat B

Jul 26, 2020

Very difficult for no coding background people. It would be really helpful if you could describe the error in better ways

By Osi A

Apr 28, 2020

This course although well taught does not take into account those that know nothing about programming

By Linyi Z

Jun 21, 2017

the instructions in the stepik notes were unclear. i would say the optional lecture video was better

By Nesrine K

Nov 16, 2020

quite difficult for a begginer we have to practice python first before starting the course

By ISIAKA B A

Jun 18, 2020

This course is not for beginners. It is for those with background computer knowledge

By Rubén d S I

Feb 19, 2017

Very interesting but i don't like switching e-learning platforms

By Laura D C L

May 4, 2020

Useful but terribly difficult, it is not for beginners

By Aravind S

Jul 31, 2020

I am not able to find the unenroll option

By Dr. A A M

The coding is too tough for beginners

By Akshita J

Jul 16, 2020

its quite tough for beginners

By Zsuzsanna Z

Apr 30, 2019

You have to be very dedicated and have high frustration tolerance if you are actually a beginner in programming. This course expects you to complete the Codecademy Python Course in advance (which will take you several weeks) but it still won´t be enough to really keep up with the bioinformatics concepts that are introduced. Also, the explanations in the course itself are very, very rudimental, although the optional videos do a better job here.

All in all, I am glad I had the possibility for learning something new and I fought myself through the course but please don´t believe that it´s suitable for beginners.

By Rohit P

Jun 4, 2020

Not one i would recommend to a beginner. I feel not so well by this course haha. It was tough, very tough for a biologist [ Primatologist/Zoologist ] like me but ofcourse i fought through & finished it. However, if any beginner wants to start this, i would recommend they learn Python atleast to the advanced level before approaching this course. That would make this fine. Also, the hours denoted to all weeks are not correct. Some weeks have 4 hours mentioned as the required time but those were the weeks that required me to put in 16+ hours. Cheers for the efforts to the team though.

Thanks!

By Daniel P

Feb 15, 2020

As a biologist without any programming skills, I found this course REALLY difficult. That was totally unexpected as the description of the course states that no programming skills are necessary. I thought really hard to learn the Python by resolving Codeacademy exercises while trying to implement the language to solve the book problems. In other words, I felt that the platforms used in this course were very disconnected. In my opinion, it would be easier to learn python by directly learning how to solve simple biological questions instead of complicate ones presented in the book.

By Graham

Sep 6, 2017

This course replies heavily (almost entirely) on codeacademy to teach the coding material. Unfortunately, the material chosen for this course does not line up with the courses supplied by codeacademy. If you want to follow the lesson plans as outlined here, you need to do multiple extra courses on codeacademy before you can reach the material discussed in the coursera lesson. As such, the estimated time for completion is drastically lower than the actual time to completion for people new to coding.

By Shyam P

Jun 16, 2018

The quizzes were extremely annoying, they weren't hard but for example with the final quiz: I would properly calculate the normalized probabilities but every possible version of me rounding it was incorrect. I proceeded to show a friend who has a PhD in mathematics and he was equally stressed by questions like this

By Misheel E

Sep 17, 2020

The description of the course is misleading, you do have to know Python in order to fully focus on the biological problem. Requires more than 8 hrs per each coding section if you are beginner. Wouldn't mark the class as Beginner.

By Anhiti S

Jun 10, 2020

The external tool was too complex for a beginner in programming, which defeats the purpose of the exercise. This made me lose interest very quickly.

By Rithvik S

Oct 21, 2020

Can be more interactive with videos for beginners for more comprehensive understanding. Otherwise, wonderful, highly informative content!