Back to Chemical Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chemical Biology by University of Geneva

5.0

Chemical biology is a burgeoning field that has rapidly risen to prominence. This surge of interest has been fuelled by chemical biology’s applicability to understanding critical processes in live cells or model organisms in real time. This success has arisen because chemical biology straddles a nexus between chemistry, biology, and physics. Thus, chemical biology can harness rapid chemistry to observe or perturb biological processes, that are in turn reported using physical assays, all in an otherwise unperturbed living entity. Although its boundaries are endless, the multidisciplinary nature of chemical biology can make the field seem daunting; we beg to differ! Here, we deconstruct chemical biology into its core components, and repackage the material. In the process we build up for each student a practical and theoretical knowledge bank that will set these students on their way to understanding and designing their own chemical biology experiments. We will discuss fluorescence as a general language used to read out biological phenomena as diverse as protein localization, membrane tension, surface phenomena, and enzyme activity. We will proceed to discuss protein labeling strategies and fusion protein design. Then we will discuss larger and larger scale chemical biology mechanism and screening efforts. Highlights include a large amount of new data, tailored in the lab videos, and a large number of skilled presenters....

MF
Dec 2, 2020

With due respect sir, I would like to say you that I have problem with the quiz system. I can't tell which on of my answer is right or wrong. Please sir, mark the right anwers in green

RI
Nov 15, 2020

Very challenging yet interesting topic. This is 21st century science towards revolutionizing Systems Biology and other science fields

1 - 4 of 4 Reviews for Chemical Biology

By Lorenzo T I

Nov 1, 2020

If you want to be updated on the new biochemical techniques to study metabolic processes in a cell, this course is a great resource. A good background in Organic Chemistry will help you understand well the principles of the techniques presented.

By Roshen R I

Nov 16, 2020

By Muaz F

Dec 3, 2020

By Roger P

Dec 4, 2020

I'm afraid I abandoned this course after a couple of weeks because I was finding the balance between reading material and video content to be skewed towards the reading, with much of this not being discussed further in the lectures. I've done many online courses and I like them because of the lectures - if I wanted to read lots of stuff then I could choose a textbook.