Back to Chemical Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chemical Biology by University of Geneva

Chemical biology is a burgeoning field that has rapidly risen to prominence. This surge of interest has been fuelled by chemical biology’s applicability to understanding critical processes in live cells or model organisms in real time. This success has arisen because chemical biology straddles a nexus between chemistry, biology, and physics. Thus, chemical biology can harness rapid chemistry to observe or perturb biological processes, that are in turn reported using physical assays, all in an otherwise unperturbed living entity. Although its boundaries are endless, the multidisciplinary nature of chemical biology can make the field seem daunting; we beg to differ! Here, we deconstruct chemical biology into its core components, and repackage the material. In the process we build up for each student a practical and theoretical knowledge bank that will set these students on their way to understanding and designing their own chemical biology experiments. We will discuss fluorescence as a general language used to read out biological phenomena as diverse as protein localization, membrane tension, surface phenomena, and enzyme activity. We will proceed to discuss protein labeling strategies and fusion protein design. Then we will discuss larger and larger scale chemical biology mechanism and screening efforts. Highlights include a large amount of new data, tailored in the lab videos, and a large number of skilled presenters....

MF
Dec 2, 2020

With due respect sir, I would like to say you that I have problem with the quiz system. I can't tell which on of my answer is right or wrong. Please sir, mark the right anwers in green

GG
Dec 23, 2020

Amazing course, the best one i enrolled in so far here, very well build and got used to the simple fantastic teaching of Dr. Marcus Long, glad to have spent time studying this topic

1 - 14 of 14 Reviews for Chemical Biology

By Muaz F

Dec 3, 2020

By Roger P

Dec 4, 2020

I'm afraid I abandoned this course after a couple of weeks because I was finding the balance between reading material and video content to be skewed towards the reading, with much of this not being discussed further in the lectures. I've done many online courses and I like them because of the lectures - if I wanted to read lots of stuff then I could choose a textbook.

By Lorenzo T I

Nov 1, 2020

If you want to be updated on the new biochemical techniques to study metabolic processes in a cell, this course is a great resource. A good background in Organic Chemistry will help you understand well the principles of the techniques presented.

By Karen C

Mar 8, 2021

I knew from the start this would be over my head, and boy, it sure was. But that’s one of the benefits of moocs: you can take a class that’s a little beyond your grasp, take away as much as you can, and save the rest as aspirational motivation. For my purposes, it was a great success.

I spent 51 hours on site rather than the 21 hours predicted, but some of that is because of an obsession with note-taking. And I passed, though I probably didn't deserve to purely on the basis of knowledge retained (good test-taking skills, that obsessive note-taking, and a lot of persistence paid off).

FMI I posted about the course on my personal website:

By Alvaro F L

Jul 12, 2021

Very insightful and interesting course, and provides new perspectives on the potential applications of chemistry in biological research. This course also emphasizes the importance of chemical innovation in designing more efficient and versatile biological research tools that may help to unravel new findings in biochemistry and biology in general.

By Roshen R I

Nov 16, 2020

Very challenging yet interesting topic. This is 21st century science towards revolutionizing Systems Biology and other science fields

By Shreyasi R C

May 24, 2021

An amazing course with the right amount of difficulty level, challenging test patterns seeking the accurate grasp of concepts, a very well planned course structure, the mind-blowing delivery of lectures, and presentation of course material! Indeed so immensely privileged and grateful to have found this opportunity to learn the foundations of my dream research domain, online from some of the best Professors and Researchers from Universit�� de Gen��ve, EPFL (École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne), etc., imparting education so magnificently, through practical and theoretical content, so well provided on this platform! I admit putting in a lot of effort behind completing this but with more and more euphoria and interest every time, in contrary to ideas of chilled and laidback vibes of general online courses with very flexible schedules. I am also immensely thankful to Coursera and my Alma Mater Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur for providing us with such platforms to continue learning and never stop aiming high, even through these extremely challenging times. It indeed felt like one-to-one mentoring, thanks to Prof. Robbie Loewith and Prof Marcus J. C. Long. Elated and excited for more learning! Chemical Biology <3

By Joshua M N Q

Jan 16, 2021

The course gives in-depth lessons about the application of chemical laboratory techniques and analysis to manipulate, study, and design biological systems. In addition to this, the quizzes are practically challenging that they will truly test your understanding of each module. I will definitely consider a career path in this field as it allows to solve problems arising from the interface of chemistry and biology.

By Sebastian B

Apr 2, 2021

Un curso interesante, que reúne múltiples conceptos física, química y biología para poder darnos un mejor entendimiento del mundo nanométrico y de su gran importancia. Muy recomendable

By Luis A N B

Jul 23, 2021

Wonderful and fascinating course, an excellent introduction to the field of Chemical Biology. I feel really fortunate to learn from this great team of professors. Thank you very much!

By Ghadeer

Dec 24, 2020

By Emir O O P

Jun 11, 2021

An excelent course, full of interesting content and complex lessons that will contirbute to my research.

By Lucie P

Apr 13, 2021

I loved this course. Full of interesting topics!

By Mmabale D M