Back to Children's Human Rights - An Interdisciplinary Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Children's Human Rights - An Interdisciplinary Introduction by University of Geneva

Drawing on the contributions of several academic disciplines including law, psychology, sociology, history, educational and health sciences, economy and anthropology, an interdisciplinary approach guides the student into a selection of critical issues concerning children’s rights. Participants will gain insight relative to the development of this specific human rights category, as well as to the evolution of the challenges faced by children over time and society’s efforts to respond. Successful international strategies and programs promoting children’s rights will be highlighted, as well as the role of key actors involved in international organizations working in this field. This open online course provides an overview of the most important features of children’s human rights. A central portion of the MOOC will consist of a presentation of the international and regional standards on children’s rights and the related international and regional judicial and quasi-judicial bodies designed to ensure their implementation. No prerequisites or specific background is required to register for this MOOC. The course is conceived as an introductory level program, but participants, who wish to deepen their knowledge in the field of children’s rights, or already have some prior knowledge, will have access to additional reading material on a weekly basis. Participants who successfully complete the class activities and final assessment may request for a paid certificate of accomplishment signed by the Instructor and the main professors responsible for the program. However, no credits are awarded. The course consists of seven topical modules distributed on 4 weeks. English is the only language of instruction....

FR
Feb 24, 2020

Truly interdisciplinary course with rich content, and reasonable depth, based upon team work of faculty. I am even recommend my 15 year child to study it and know about her responsibilities and rights

SD
Jan 30, 2019

I strongly recommend this for people who are passionately working among children across the globe. This is the need of the hour! Let's educate ourselves and serve the best for our children. Cheers!

26 - 50 of 434 Reviews for Children's Human Rights - An Interdisciplinary Introduction

By Морев А Л

Dec 3, 2019

Very biased course.

By BEN M A B

Dec 26, 2019

Thank you for this valuable course that helped me:  To improve the understanding of child protection  To increase the capacity to prevent abuse  To strengthen skills to recognize diverse child protection issues  To gain skills in upholding child rights  To increase awareness on how to create a protective environment  To strengthen the ability to identify child protection issues without stigmatizing or targeting the child  To understand and use the term vulnerability appropriately  To utilize a holistic framework when responding to child protection: responsive action, remedial action, protective environment action

By Sandra. L

Aug 14, 2021

My name is Sandra Lucien, I'm from Haiti, I am currently  an Instructional Assistant with ASD children, working in Public Schools. At first, I took the course to understand certain things about Children's Human Rights just for fun, but it turned out that this course was great. I loved the videos, also the video lengths were great. I learned more about society, people in the workplace, children are being smarter than we think, when they are engaging etc. I now know that one should not criticize what they can't do or understand. Thank you so much for your time and for making learning fun. I did get my certificate.

By Federica C

Jun 19, 2020

Having already a solid background in human rights and experience in the field of child protection, I was a bit scared by the "introduction" word mentioned in the title, being afraid the course would be too basic. Instead it was extremely interesting to follow this course for the multiple inputs and explanations it was providing. Topics are presented from different perspectives and by experts in different field, I believe this gave me the possibility to learn a lot and complement my previous knowledge with relevant information coming from other disciplines. Historical videos are those I have appreciated the most!

By Ethige B S

Oct 15, 2018

First of all I am thanking very much University of Geneva, Switzerland has given opportunity to study about Children's Human rights - An Interdisciplinary under Coursera organization. I am a Auditor of the United Nation Association of Singapore and active in Human right as well as Humanitarian. This course is very helpful to improve my knowledge as well as Laws. Further more I would like to thank all Professors and Lecturers explained very clearly, wider and deeper to understand all modules in this course.

Best Regards from Singapore

Ethige Bernard Silva.

By Liliana F D V A

Mar 25, 2019

The content of this course is truly exceptional! I loved the diversity of topics presented and the instructors really made me want to go into further detail as I do research on my own! I believe that I would only like to point out that there were some discrepancies in the transcripts of the videos which, if corrected, would make this course just perfect. I would really like to thank all the experts and instructors for their invaluable time and support creating and sharing this MOOC with the community!

By Natalia D

Mar 29, 2021

I highly recommend this course to any professional working in the filed of childcare, child protection, immigration and human rights protection. The teaching staff did an amazing job presenting the most complex, current children's human rights issues in simple way and made them understandable. Some quizzes were hard to pass, but overall the knowledge gained during the course is precious . Thank You to everyone who created this course. Please create more on the subject of children's human rights.

By Gopinadh K

Jul 20, 2021

Being a social worker, I especially found this course an excellent and enriching one. I could deeply envision children: their rights, and their mystical life aspects.It unquestionably refined my social work skills involving children:good endeavour by the Coursera team.The child participation in research is of immense value to me.I really feel sad as the course ended today.The study literature are wonderfully crafted and are really helpful and informative.My profound gratitude to the team.

By Kellie J F

May 18, 2017

This course included a wide array of information regarding children's human rights across the globe. The lecturers provided a clear map of the past developments in this field and a view of what activism is required in the future. I appreciated the information from various countries and visiting professors. The lectures were organized in a concise and informative manner. Thank you to the University of Geneva for gathering individuals from various disciplines to make this course complete.

By Paola D N

Mar 9, 2021

Very captivating and interdisciplinary course on Children's Human Rights, tackling such important issues as for example juvenile justice, violence against children and children's right to participation.

All the professors and specialists involved in the teaching are very competent and professional.

Looking forward to further specialize in this discipline.

Never stop learning and challenge yourself!

Many thanks to the University of Geneva for this enriching opportunity.

By Jonathan C

Sep 18, 2017

Fantastic course with a huge amount to learn and some great resources. Persevere with it, it gets better as it goes on.

My only criticism would be that the end of module tests are extremely badly designed! Most of the questions are in bad English, the questions and answers extremely ambiguous, and often don't cover some of the key concepts of the modules.

It would be great to have some compulsory group work too - I found the Forums quite inactive.

By Mohamed M

Mar 1, 2021

Children's Human Rights - An Interdisciplinary Introduction, It is an education that moves my mind to the way that, I have to give special protection to children in a situation of any kind of emergency, like Armed conflicts, conflict with the law, Justice to a juvenile issue, and any kind of child deprivation, neglect, and abuse.

By: Mohamed Mustapha, a Sierra Leonean,

From The Gambia, West Africa.

By Katarzyna J

Fantastic course, you can learn a lot. There are given interesting information and it motivates you to read and learn more about children human rights. Although, there are some issues with quizzes, sometimes there is no good answer or right answer is changed when you retake the quiz. But generally, I rate this course very high. I think it is useful for anyone, who works for children rights.

By Samwel M M

The course is detailed,cutting age information and well delivered . However some links have been disabled and needs to be looked into.

It also needs to be up dated .Lastly considering the rigorous content of the course, the units covered and marks scored should be reflected on the certificate. This will be be better confirmation to employers and peers of the skills and knowledge acquired.

By Gaytri D S

Apr 3, 2021

The course gave me overview of different perspective of Children's Human Rights especially world view. It is wonderful to reinforcing my learning through quizzes. Irrespective of who we are - parents, social worker, policy makers, implementers etc. we should definitely do this course for better clarity in our work and life and think through Child Right's approach. Thank you!

By Abbe M

Feb 13, 2021

This course was a great introduction. The professors were so knowledgeable and thorough.

I enjoy the option to learn at your own pace as well as the short chunking of information in the video and written form.

I learned a lot about the rights of children in many settings of our society. This will be a good background to have as I navigate the position of a child advocate.

By Luisa C J

Sep 4, 2020

Teniendo muy pocos conocimientos del área, el curso es bueno. Es general y entrega una perspectiva apropiada de la materia. Lo disfruté mucho y aprendí bastante.

I don't know much about the subject, but the course is very good. It's general, and gives you a nice perspective about the children's rights as an interdisciplinary topic. I really enjoy it and learned a lot =)

By Sandra C C M

Mar 15, 2020

A really interdisciplinary and interesting course! It is very complete but yet simple for those who do not have a legal background on children's rights. I truly recommend this course to everyone, in general, but specially for those professionals working with children. Thank you for your teamwork and effort to provide us very interesting and accurate materials to study.

By Trisha M

Nov 22, 2020

Very informative course. This course provided me with a deeper understanding of children's rights in order for us to find solutions to eradicate violations against children all over the globe. It is crucial for us, especially for teachers, parents, medical professionals, law (government) to recognize this issue head-on and to provide sufficient support and research.

By Yvette L R

The course was excellent and presented very good.

However, I would like to learn more about adoption. Parents die due to illnesses like HIV, during the migration process or do not want the child and then the child becomes adoptable, either by strangers or by a village or community. What rights does the child have when it comesmtomfamily reunification?

By Nagatharan L K P

Nov 26, 2021

An excellent course for those who want to work with children be it in any sector and I would highly recommend it to even parents. It gives you diverse perspectives on how you should treat children with dignity and respect and what you can do to uphold their dignity as children of our generation and the generations to come. Bravo University of Geneva!

By Rhio

Oct 28, 2020

This course was very informative and relevant in today's issues. However, I wish some readings can be easy downloadable since there are some links that require registering on the website and/or pay subscription in order to have full access to the material. But so far, this is a good start if you want to have a career on Child Rights.

By Gökçe H A

Jul 15, 2020

I enjoyed the taking this course . I improved my knowledge in many areas like international law, children psychology, children health..etc. As a law student, I will surely recomend this course to my friends because topic of the course is really important and every people should have knowledge about it to make safe zone for children.

By Chandni P

This is really a significant course in gaining a deep understanding of the inception , implementation and challenges faced in application of child rights across its member state also an invigorating outlook of Health Human Rights of human beings which at times we are under ignorance or are misled due to lack of its knowledge