Back to Climate Change Mitigation in Developing Countries

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Climate Change Mitigation in Developing Countries by University of Cape Town

This course challenges you to consider how one might lift societies out of poverty while also mitigating greenhouse gas emissions. We explore the inherent complexity of developing country governments wanting to grow their economies in a climate friendly way. You will be introduced to an approach with which to address this challenge. The approach consists of a facilitated process whereby academic researchers and high-level influential actors within society co-produce knowledge. You will track this process in four Latin American countries - Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, and South Africa. You will hear from various professionals about their contexts and the different challenges and opportunities the process includes. This course will cover topics such as facilitation process techniques, energy modeling, scenario building, innovation and policy making. You will have the opportunity to respond to these topics with ideas and reflection from your own context. Whether you are a climate change practitioner, work in development or are simply curious about how climate mitigation is understood, this course will give you insights into the complexity of how countries from the South pursue development goals while addressing climate mitigation. The course is free to enroll and take. You will be offered the option of purchasing a certificate of completion, which you become eligible for if you successfully complete the course requirements. This can be an excellent way of staying motivated! Financial Aid is also available....

MG

Oct 04, 2016

Super-awesome course that taught me about the super-wicked problem of our time and how to effectively achieve climate change mitigation and development objectives from developing countries context

CO

Nov 10, 2017

The course has been very insightful to me as a climate change scientist. It has been very detailed and it has given me input that from a perspective that i had not thought of before. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 75 Reviews for Climate Change Mitigation in Developing Countries

By Abasaheb H

Apr 04, 2017

Hi everyone, Thanks v much for this opportunity to understand the Climate Change an burning issue at global level having impact at local level. In this course, I learnt basics of CC and mitigation measures being undertaken in developing countries.

Though the the course and most of mitigation measure focused on sectors like Energy and Transport may be bcoz of their major contributions, there is need to work on other equally important sectors in this regard.

In fact, I belong to Agriculture sector from India where Agriculture is major enterprise in terms of economy as well as employment, however badly affected by impacts of CC leading to food security threats beyond India and developing nations.

I really further interested in mitigation and adoption models or results in Agriculture sector where enough awareness is created and many internationally funded projects are being implemented.

By Elvira R V

Mar 26, 2019

First, thank you for having the chance to express my warmest thanks for the course(s) I recently completed. This of course had given me the opprotunity to broaden my knowledge on the why and how about the problem enveloping the Climate change. Not only that, where there is a problem, there will be always possible solution. The readings, videos and the forums, enhances my thinking on the so called global warming and who are the best contributors and what might be our next move on the current climate situation. As I one of the contributors in the increase of gas emissions, will be guilty and therefore would seek more and more on how to help lessen this global challenge.

By Tangem E P

Jul 27, 2017

This was a very informative and professionally developed course, I probably learnt alot more than expected.

The MAPS approach and the 'modus operandi' will go along way in enhancing my work. I am already thinking of applying the MAPS approach in developing Sustainable Land Management scenarios for the Great Green Wall Initiative that I coordinate. Will like to have contacts with the MAPS team.

My address : elvispaulT@africa-union.org

By Carlos A

Nov 11, 2017

Great course!! it was very helpful to understand how can we prepare ourselves for the coming years, and how can we influence our Governments and Politics to put Global Warming as a National policy and to address the announced problems in advance. It also taught us a new methodology to work with all stakeholders when trying to reach a common goal, even though some stakeholders could be traditional opponents.

By Anderson L C

Jul 16, 2019

Excellent course. The study of the methodologies for the evaluation of scenarios and their use in the policy of reducing the emission of greenhouse gases is a very positive point.

Certainly the content of this course will make a difference in the professionals who work in the area and especially in the population, who is the initial actor of measures to reduce global warming.

By Christopher M I

Jun 04, 2017

This course was a very enjoyable and informative experience. I learned more about climate mitigation in developing countries and particularly more about the M.A.P.S program. Courses like these provide valuable knowledge for our current and future efforts to combat our changing climate in a sustainable and economically profitable way.

By Takahiro O

Oct 10, 2016

This course was very comprehensible and I learnt the complexity and excitement to tackle with climate change and economic development at the same time. Episodes from many countries are also introduced by kinds of stakeholders were interesting too. I recommend this course if you're interested in climate change issues.

By Vincentius K M

Sep 16, 2019

The course was well organized and provided hands on practical experiences of different countries in the developing world. I commend the organizers for a job well done and I recommend the course to anyone that is a climate change enthusiast

By Roberto C C M

Jan 24, 2016

Excelent way to understand the mitigation process. Excelent way to evaluate the kwonledge

By Matovu B

Jul 15, 2019

The course content not only matches current global dynamics for sustainable development, but also increases the zeal and momentum of all people-participants to initiate positive climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies now, then later. The factual and practical case studies are a launch pad for systematic and coherent development of feasible mitigation strategies to boost livelihoods especially in rural communities; who are the most ignorant but extremely vulnerable groups.

By Uyen-Chi O N

Mar 24, 2017

LOVED THIS COURSE! Taking this course has truly shaped how I plan to pursue my career and gave me a much better understanding of the current ecosystem of climate change in developing countries. Everything about this course was just great - I really learned a lot, and even reached out to one of the speakers/professors for further guidance. Thank so much for making this course available!

By Alex N K

Jul 30, 2017

the course has been very informative and provided me with knowledge i can take forward for my own studies. The understand of climate change and its complexity is better understood and reason why there are many sceptical to tackle the issue. the idea of super wicked problem which climate change has clear and how this can be dealt with looking at all interest of stakeholders involved.

Dec 28, 2019

In these course many aspects are given of countries where we don't think in the first place concerning mitigation emissions - MAPS -. Thanks to the profs..

One aspect in these course that could receive more attention is 'What's going on on agricultural area'. I found several articles about it that gives me also a view on the problems of CO2... .

By Tuyambaze N

Oct 28, 2018

Thanks to the instructors i can surely now say that am a climate change enthusiast and expert after completing this powerful course

however your delaying to send me my certificate yet i completed all the course assignments and passed them well

MUCH OBLIGED

By Moses R

Nov 09, 2017

This is a very informative and engaging course that highlights the importance of well researched and presented materials for the course participants. I recommend this course to everybody that is concerned about this planet earth's future existence.

By Mukesh G

Oct 04, 2016

By Cynthia O

Nov 10, 2017

By Roman H

May 27, 2017

The course structure was very good and the real experience cases made the material look alive. Furthermore the essay writing part was very good, as practitioners had to get really involved.

By Gabriel E Z

May 24, 2017

A well explained course, although it could be complete with another course about the specific modelling programas that they use on MAPS or a specific example of the projected scenarios.

By Peter A

Apr 20, 2016

I found this course to be outstanding, in terms of: Interest, inspiration, technical content, stimulating new ideas, learning from other course participants, and general enjoyment.

By Nabunya V

Feb 18, 2019

It was a very interesting course with good lecturers. Learned alot as regards climate change mitigation. I also like how they analysed the situations for various regions.

By Mohd Z

Jan 03, 2020

Excellent course to develop the basic skill on Climate Change Mitigation under MAPs approach. I am thankful to University of CapeTown for such as an excellent course.

By Donna S

Nov 12, 2017

This course was exceptional! This is a very engaging course. I enjoyed learning from others in the course about climate change and development in their countries.

By Thuan N

May 25, 2017

Excellent course with practical approaches, strategies and good examples in tackling with climate change issues in the context of developing countries.

By Emmanuel J I

Aug 31, 2019

Course was very thorough and exhaustive. Widened my understanding of climate change from a different perspective that’s unique