Back to Storytelling and influencing: Communicate with impact

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Storytelling and influencing: Communicate with impact by Macquarie University

An ambitious vision for the future of your organisation isn’t enough – how do you communicate this vision to get your colleagues on board? The ability to effectively communicate and persuade others is a key leadership skill. Traditional and common-sense models of communication and persuasion often fail to capture the complex nature of ‘influencing’. Via structured learning activities (video lectures, quizzes, discussion prompts and written assessments) this course will develop your capacity to communicate appropriately in different situational and cultural contexts, making you a highly influential leader....

AA
Jul 12, 2020

It's a course that sum up the most important skills you need to learn for your professional life. Amazing material and subject conducted in a very fun and appealing way. Thanks for both instructors.

PT
Nov 24, 2020

By far this has been the most engaging courses I have ever attended, the videos were stimulating and the content offered a wide variety of sources for continual learning. Too bad it was so short!

1 - 25 of 216 Reviews for Storytelling and influencing: Communicate with impact

By Elizabeth F

Sep 19, 2019

It was a fine course for communicating with impact but I was disappointed that there was very little on storytelling, given that's the first word in the Course title. I signed up for the storytelling but we got only one class out of six that even touhed on storytellling. Perhaps the the title should be revised and the storytelling dropped. There were other items that were emphasized much more -- like how run meeting

By Karina M T W

Oct 6, 2019

This was a beautiful course! It was packed with both theoretical and practical strategies, tips, and exemplars useful to most every profession in the position to lead and influence people. You will find yourself nodding at the basic truths behind persuasive communication as well as laughing at yourself for the mistakes you've been making. I took over 100 pages of notes! It was worth every listening and viewing minute. I am all the more inspired to apply these to my profession as an educator and youth animator. Thank you so much, Assoc. Professor Lawrence Ang and Ms. Arabella Macpherson for your knowledge, generosity, clarity, wit, and HEART. I am one proud student!

By Patrig D

Aug 10, 2019

The course was fun and interesting, I can't wait to use the skills I've learnt.

The course is easy to follow and it shouldn't take you more than one hour per week. Take a lot of notes still as not only it will help you not only to acquire the subtleties of the subject, but even to help you pass the tests. I will review again several videos as I think I will need to implement the methods following them step by step.

Thanks Arabella and Lawrence for sharing their knowledge!

By Maria A A

Apr 26, 2020

I took this course to have ideas on how to teach Public Speaking and Persuasion via remote learning since our university will be switching to flexible modes due to COVID-19. The videos have high production value, with very informative content. I just noticed that some of the English transcriptions have a few errors. I enjoyed the resources for further reading/viewing with reflection questions the most. I did not have time to really explore the Discussion Forums, though.

By Ina N M

Jan 5, 2021

This was a really great course where I improved my skills in influencing and engaging an audience. The lecturers were really engaging and professional, and used a range of different tools to make the lecures engaging. And it was good to see that they were actually using the techniques that they taught us themselves. The theories they used were explained well, and they came up with a range of pratical methods that could easy be implemented.

By Asif M K

Sep 9, 2019

One of the coolest instructor I ever learnt from is Arabella! She's so awesome! Meanwhile, Professor Lawrence is also such a cool headed person; and, the way the taught this course is surprisingly thought-provoking. I've surely learnt a lot of new things from this course, which I would easily be able to use in my day to day life and through out my future career and all. Would highly recommend this one!

By Chandra S G

Feb 23, 2020

Great course with full of learning. I loved how Arabella explained different techniques of persuasion and building rapport in business setting. The course is well structured and helped me understand the areas of improvement in my verbal communication. I will definitely try the things I have learnt during and course in my professional life and would recommend others to try this course.

By Madhav P

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you for making it look so simple & easy to understand . This definately helps userstand the nuances of been a good presenter . Will definately try to incorporate these techniques in my daily routine while dealing with people . As i feel presentation skills are for everyday life & not just for board rooms ( you never know who is been influenced while you are talking :) )

By Albrecht, A

Mar 5, 2020

It is a very informative course - which gives all the theoretical knowledge to become a great speaker and convince others. I particularly enjoyed the examples that are always provided straight with the theory. That made it so much easier to remember and really understand what it can look like. Now "all" that remains for me is to practice, practice, practice.

By Yvonne W

Mar 27, 2020

Good refresher for things I already knew, excellent learning about things I had no idea I didn't know, lots of acronyms for new skills. All wrapped up in a pedagogic presentation that leads to fuller understanding of the material. Now I have to go back and write down all those acronyms.... and what they mean! Thank you both.

By SPEAR J T B Y

Jul 31, 2020

this course is so informative and engaging!! I can see the thought put in behind the well-structured activities and I love how points made are supported by examples, including personal ones. I've learned so much within a few weeks. Thank you both for your knowledge and PASSION. I've really enjoyed learning from you both :")

By S N

Jan 31, 2020

Very engaging and 100% recommended. I tried to take courses on storytelling from another resources but this one turned out to be the exact fit for me. Totally business oriented. Perfect course if you want to improve your corporate world presentation / pitching / negotiation skills. Loved personal stories from Arabela! = )

By Gilbert C

Dec 31, 2019

Easy to understand and well put together. I particularly liked Lawrence's videos and going through some of the research literature, but I can understand at this introductory level Arabella is an excellent communicator. Overall, there are some excellent practical tips here even if some of it seems commonsensical at times.

By Rajesh P

Dec 21, 2020

Very well-organized course with lot of tips and techniques, full of meaningful strategies with potential applicable scenarios. My special thanks to the faculties for keeping the course lively and friendly manner. The exercises helped to recollect the concepts, relevant elaboration for right/ wrong choices. Great course!

By Yu X N

Jul 25, 2020

After completing this course, I feel much more prepared for the presentations that I will be having next week and in the future. Thank you truly, Mr Lawrence and Ms Arabella, for all the help you've provided me. It is greatly appreciated and I hope to join another course conducted by both of you in the future :)

By Irene Y

Sep 23, 2019

Excellent course!! Filled with practical, useful advice, theory and examples which helped demonstrate the usage of skills and theories. This course is very relevant to modern business environments. Communications, influencing and story telling skills are core to any role at any level. Loved it! Thank you.

By Kazuhiko K

Jan 6, 2021

Finished this 6-weeks course for just 1, 5 days since it was so fun and enjoyable.

I can warmly recommend this course for all who want to communicate with impact!

Next step would be to present myself and share feedbacks with peers.

I would appreciate any suggestions for such a course or opportunity.

By Rui F

Jul 12, 2020

It helped me to visualize through "simple" means and well organized we managed to reach our goal, we must always look from the perspective of our "client", in order to understand the real needs and solve them. But to achieve good resolutions it is necessary to create empathy and rapport

By Jerby L

Oct 23, 2020

What an awesome course! I learned a lot and the teachers apply the tips in their own way of communication which made them more engaging, convincing and mesmerizing. Planning to go through the course again after some time to get a refresher. It was such an enjoyable experience as well!

By Rafael D C

Sep 30, 2020

Great course, I'm a college student, and im applying the knowledge from this course mainly to network with important teachers to get job vacancies, and research grants. Got 2 research grants since i've finished the course, and now probably a opportunity of international degree.

By Bernard D V

Mar 24, 2020

A course full of nice examples, sometimes really simple. The course is well researched and full of food for thought. Definitevely some useful and concrete guidelines. I feel like the two last weeks were losing in intensity but this complete course is really worthwhile

By Tofail A

Sep 21, 2019

Just love the course and approach of teaching. Storytelling and influencing: Communicate with impact is a very interesting! It increase inspiration and influence to reach the goals easily. I feel thankful to have this access from the expert instructor and professor.

By Rahman H

Aug 24, 2020

It's not short but everything that been shared with us is relatable to our journey to influence people. The next step for us is to reflect and implement. I recommend this training for those of you who want to improve your communication skills and knowledge.

By Marta A

Jul 9, 2020

The course is very much aimed to sales people, while I was more interested in a general perspective of making presentations within my organisation and when going for job interviews. But the tips are applicable anyway and I have learned interesting things.

By Christian G

Feb 8, 2020

It was a great learning experience with many take aways easy to adopt and translate in my daily routines with individuals and groups. I see it beneficial in a professional context and the day to day life. Thanks a lot to you both.