Back to Managing Employee Compensation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Employee Compensation by University of Minnesota

Whether you're writing paychecks or wondering where yours comes from, this course is for you! We begin by asking: "To succeed, what kind of a person does your organization need to attract, retain, and motivate?" From there, we'll explain how to align your organization's objectives, its pay philosophy, and ultimately the way it designs and implements its salary structure, short-term incentives, long-term incentives, and benefits. Interested in learning more about the technical aspects of compensation, but don't know where to begin? We'll give an overview of key the key technical skills: compliance with pay regulations, understanding stock options, shopping for health insurance and pension providers, and designing incentive plans. Lastly, we'll discuss non-monetary methods of motivating employees. Upon completing the course, you should be able to have an understanding of compensation both strategically and technically. Learners will also gain introductory familiarity with pay regulation in the US....

KM
Apr 22, 2019

This is a very useful course for any HR professional who wants to have an overview on Employee Compensation and Benefits. Thanks for detailed and thought- through lectures and the great opportunity.

S
May 7, 2020

Both the professors were amazing! However, I would like to point out that since everyone undertaking this course is from the USA, it's better to skip out on the portion about US Law and compliance.

326 - 331 of 331 Reviews for Managing Employee Compensation

By anurag s

Feb 1, 2018

Not as good as other courses in the series. Highly repetitive content in week 4.

It must be realized that the course is being taken by students across the globe hence doing an assignment based on a job in USA is very difficult. Besides entire week 3 is dedicate only for rules in USA which is not at all useful for students outside of USA

By Anna Z

Sep 9, 2020

I'm highly dissatisfied with this particular course. It was hard for me to understand the reader because of his manner of speech. He also kept making mistakes and using fillers all the time. The worst course in the specialization!

By Svetoslav A

Sep 12, 2020

Too much unnecessary information for people who live outside the USA.

By Līga Ā

Aug 3, 2020

Very informative and boring course - a huge disappointment. The course consists of 4 week modules and week 1-3 is mostly about US laws, regulations and compensation system, which is useless information for students outside US. Week 3 is only (!) about US and the Peer-graded Assignment is analyzing US job. Course instructor Alan Benson seems to be smart and with great knowledge in this area, but his teaching style is boring, very informative, complicated and monotone - a lot of terms, numbers, definitions and confusing "explanations". I haven't been able to understand most of what he was talking about and looking at course discussions I assume that most students have the same situation as me. Comparing to other courses in HR for People Managers program, which I have also taken and I am very satisfied with, this course does not belong there (only week 4, which is taught by Mike Davis and which I enjoyed).

By David C T

Nov 22, 2016

Too US-centric. Very strange concept of non-monetary benefits. It very common to forgo cash remuneration for non-monetary benefits (mainly for tax advantages) which was largely ignored in this course.

By Kassandra D C

Mar 20, 2020

reopen my course so i can complete my subscription