Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

276 - 300 of 382 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Darci C

Jun 01, 2016

Prof. Bloom was very interesting to watch and listen to. The course was well organized and free of technical issues, but it didn't seem quite as thorough a discussion of the topic as the plot course was. Very close to 5 stars.

By Gaby S

Apr 26, 2020

This course covers every aspect of building a character for a beginner to understand how this world works. I would have loved a bit of more readings with examples of what was being taught to us. But overall, really good course.

By Eve B

Dec 02, 2017

I really enjoyed the lectures of the course and found Amy Bloom to be an informative and relatable writer and lecturer. The assignments were a bit odd, in my opinion, but maybe that's the way writing assignments are in general?

By Noha D

Nov 08, 2017

Good course, i have learned few very useful concepts, thanks to Amy.

The last assignment was genius, helped us to really recognize differences between two POV,.

However, first assignments were a little bit confusing.

By Andrea G G

May 06, 2020

The course improved my skills on writing the stories from different perspectives and points of view. It pretty much complement the other course about plot. I am very satisfied with the things I've learnt so far.

By Jane D

Jul 31, 2019

I enjoyed the lectures, but perhaps there could be more examples in writing. Like parts of stories we could read, especially with idiosyncrasies. I felt like I needed to see those things in action, on paper.

By Sharon

Mar 15, 2016

I enjoyed Amy Bloom's guidelines and am keen to create some well rounded characters. Thank you for enabling me to follow along without having to pay ( no evaluation of the assignments).

By lisa r

Jun 17, 2016

This course was very interesting and the assignments were good. I thought it relied too much on conversations with other authors but overall it was enjoyable and I learned new skills.

By S. J W

Mar 20, 2016

I do not understand why these courses over lap. I finished #2 today, tried to start #3 but found that I had 10 hours to complete the first weeks assignment? Who is in charge out there?

By Mohammad S

Jun 25, 2017

The assignments tend to be very confusing, I understand that they make sense for making characters, the difficulty might just be with the characters, but they are quite confusing.

By Tomilyn R

Sep 30, 2018

Coursera technology should improve since many people don't take the critiques seriously, and there's no way to measure someone who just writes 'yes' in every box.

By Kimberly F

Aug 22, 2019

I liked this class, but would have gotten more out of it had there been less conversation videos. I like some direct lecture to cement new knowledge.

By Kaitlyn B

Aug 08, 2019

This was a good course that helped me broaden my POV writing style, though the assignments were difficult to do, and one was difficult to understand.

By Keith G

Oct 03, 2019

I found the content useful but was irritated by how parochial the references to other writers were. There is a big wide world outside of the USA!

By Geoff N

Feb 27, 2017

A well thought out course that was very illuminating. Not sure about the complexity of week 2's assignment, but overall good value.

By Catalina v w

Oct 17, 2019

I found this course less informative than the Craft of Plot. A lot of the assignments seemed to have little to do with the videos.

By Andrea G

Mar 23, 2016

I liked it overall, though there were some glitches and I was hoping that there'd be at least some feedback from course organizer.

By Fernanda B

Oct 25, 2017

I loved this course, but sometimes the assignments weren't quite clear. Apart from that, the teacher is genius and it's great.

By Iryna A

Aug 09, 2017

Even though I enjoyed the course, I found the description of the assignments sometimes very confusing and lacking in details.

By J-Man

Oct 24, 2019

A helpful overall look at character but not particularly deep, still useful even for a refresher when writing something new

By Chew W Y

Jun 22, 2016

The material is interesting and relevant. I found the assignments challenging and the review questions slightly lengthy.

By BAVISETTY V P

May 08, 2020

Very good course..i loved the way the instructor handed this course.Especially,i felt the tips she had given were Gold.

By Fernanda d C S

Jun 15, 2020

I would like to have notes from the teachers as well (not just from the students).Some further ideas or highlights.

By Max H

Jun 29, 2017

the assignment descriptions are very confusing so I'd recommend looking into the forums for help. decent videos

By Ali N

Sep 19, 2018

Enjoyed the lectures, but the assignments were poorly explained and definitely could have been better.