Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

76 - 100 of 292 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Phillip L

Sep 22, 2016

I very much enjoyed this course, and found it to be very useful and effective in improving my writing. The format of interviews with different writers iengaging and interesting. The most valuable part was the weekly writing assignments, and the peer reviews. The feedback I received was very useful to me, and I found that giving feedback to others also helped to advance my own insights and understanding.

By Arturo N R

Jul 24, 2016

Great inspirtation for practice writing

By Ajay C

Nov 16, 2017

Very interesting lectures and assignments.

By Jerri L L

May 17, 2016

I have enjoyed Amy Bloom's lectures and guidance on character. I feel as if I'm making different choices in the words that I use now, as well as focusing more on characters and how they can move (or not) a story. The assignments really helped me to lazer in on specific language that helps to illuminate character.

By Ana C O G

Apr 22, 2018

Absolutely loved it. Thank you Amy!

By Aisha K

Jun 30, 2016

Excellent scaffolding of exercises to provide a broad intro aspects of character development. Enjoyable, meaningful, and great teaching methodology!

By TJ S

Jul 05, 2018

Don't shy away from the challenging course material contained within, especially in Module 2. If writing was easy...y'know where this is going.

By Viktoryia

Mar 29, 2017

Amazing!

By Marie-Hélène F

Feb 23, 2016

Amazing course! Thank you so much!!!!!

By Carlos A M

Dec 30, 2016

I loved how Amy Bloom gives us advice about writing believable, complex and alive characters. The course was excellent in every aspect. I loved the peer-reviewed assignments, the video lectures and the interviews. Definitely, one of the most useful courses out there to learn about characters!

By James H

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent course. It regenerated my creativity which is what I hoped for and it cleared up some confusion I had about point of view.

By Eneida A M

Nov 02, 2016

In this course I learned how to build characters traits and bring them to life. I also learned about POVs and the difference between them. I wrote, rewrote and did it! A special thanks to Amy B.

By Jocelyn Q C

Apr 18, 2016

Excellent, well-prepared professors!

By Alyanna J d L

Jul 26, 2017

I am glad I can view the lectures even I have no money to pay for the course. I really love writing (in my own native language) so the course is really a lot of help! I love it! :)

By Cristofer C L

Aug 08, 2016

This course was very helpful in showing us how to create characters that writer and reader both can really know.

By adriene j

Jan 31, 2018

Supremely challenging in a terrific way. Amy Bloom top notch. Student reviews tremendously helpful. Try it. You lose nothing!

By Elspeth H

Mar 21, 2016

The course was very helpful in navigating new ways to approach character building and finding their voice. Along with the other classes in this specialization, I feel anyone looking to improve on their writing should take this course to build stronger stories and write believable characters.

By Matthew J G

Sep 06, 2017

I truly loved the tasks in this course. Also, the community found in the forums contributed to a noticeable progression of interesting topics and courseware.

By Sarah S

Feb 22, 2017

I found this course very helpful as a step along the path to improving my writing. I really liked the course director Any Bloom, who has an engaging, calm manner and gave very useful insights into writing about character and creating characters that feel as if they have a life beyond the page. The course is well structured and the assignments well designed to help you to think about point of view and character and I found myself being able to develop a fictional character that I have had in my mind for a while. I really enjoyed the course, thank you very much.

By Evita K

May 17, 2018

It's very insightful and beautiful. Helped me hear and become my characters.

By Jenny B

May 01, 2018

I found the tasks in this course quite challenging but pleased I persevered and grateful for some great feedback.

By Esther M

Nov 03, 2016

Good job Brando.

By Klurisa H

Sep 25, 2016

This course was challenging and informative. The ability to speed up and slow down the video lectures is fantastic. These video lectures are jammed packed with information and I often listen to parts again and again to grasp a solid understanding. Without this feature this would become tedious and boring. The lecturers are knowledgeable and the words chosen to explain the content are spot on. Thanks. Loved it.

By Chloedale C C

Nov 20, 2016

I feel very inspired especially learning from the interviews. Even when I know I can't afford the course, just watching and listening to the videos is enough for me. The videos are educational, hinting famous stories that I would love to read.

By Perri Z

May 31, 2017

I enjoyed listening to and reading each assignment's parts , all relevant and added more to my own learning perspective in developing characters.