Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

351 - 375 of 376 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By ABHIRAJ S D

Jul 21, 2018

the assignments were poorly worded which is the opposite of the purpose of assignment

By Jorge T

Aug 08, 2016

The excercises on the course are great, but the videos can be a little vague.

By maham m

Jun 12, 2020

The course was great but the quality of the student/peer review was abysmal.

By Nick T

I liked the content, but found the exercises were too complex for a learner.

By Jill B

Sep 10, 2016

Excellent lectures. Assignments were a little too "exercisey" for me.

By Jeff

Jan 14, 2019

Content is great, but the app is very buggy and difficult to use.

By Houda A I

Aug 24, 2018

There parts that were rather confusing in Week 2 (assignment)

By Vishal B

Jun 11, 2020

Instructor is not very good

By Camille B

Mar 28, 2019

Helpful, but not very much.

By Bea K

May 22, 2020

I am taking the specialization course and compared to the other courses, which are detailed and layed out topic by topic with clear examples and assigments referring back to previous lessons, this course seemed very scattered and abstract. The subject topics were often diverted to something else mid-way through the explanation. It made it very difficult to know if I understood the topics. It almost seemed as if the instructor rushed her videos because sge had something better to do and relies on "shop talk" so much to explain creating a character rather than explaning it concisely herself. Since the assigments are peer reviewed, no one can really tell you if you're wrong because we are all learning for the same videos with the same scattered information. I found some of the assigments frustrating because of the lack of explanation throughout the course.

By Emily F

Jun 21, 2016

I didn't find this course particularly helpful or useful. I'm not sure why, there was a disconnect somewhere, I think maybe that I didn't receive the help that I feel I still need on the subject of how to create a great, memorable, believable character. Also, some of the assignments were confusing. Nothing really stands out about this course, and it was actually a bit boring and I don't feel I learned anything related to the subject. Everything about this class needs some work: the videos, the instruction/syllabus/content, and the assignments. Sorry, I didn't like it. =(

By Aiden T N

Nov 29, 2016

I am honestly not a fan of Amy's teaching style. She seems to have a discussion with herself about character building techniques but not really explain the technique nor structure it for the student.

There are too many shop talks.

I would rather have a structure explained to me and then hear a discussion... the way Brando Skyhorse does in the Plot course... really a let down. I will have to buy the book she keeps averting I guess... after spending quite good money on the course already. Pity

By Monika C B

Mar 15, 2016

I didn't find this module very helpful and some of the assignments were truly confusing. I wish there was more "meat" in the sessions and more availability to access the lecturers more readily when there was confusion. I don't like the fact I pay money for other people to "assess" my work when half of them don't even read my submissions properly. Or the question. Or both. So if the lectures don't stretch me, I find my money spent unwisely.

By Pritika P

Dec 18, 2017

I found the assignments very challenging to understand as there was very little clarity in the way they were written. Had to constantly reach out to mentors and forum discussions to actually understand what the instructor wanted.

Overall, I did not enjoy this course as much as I enjoyed the other three courses of this series.

By Amanda Y H

Nov 17, 2017

The instructor did very little teaching and spent much more time interviewing other instructors from different courses. The instruction regarding character development was not very useful compared to the insight provided in the Craft of Plot course. I do not feel I got very much out of this course.

By Ian B

Jun 21, 2017

This is by far the weakest course of the creative writing specialization. The majority of it is spent with the "teacher" having shop talk sessions with other novelists, but doing very little teaching herself.

By Olivia W

Apr 06, 2016

This was my least favourite course in the the Creative Writing Specialisation. I learnt a bit about creating characters but I found the lessons bland and the assignments difficult to understand.

By Patrick L

May 02, 2016

I didn't think there were many solid pointers...and not much that was original coming from the instructor herself.

By Elaina J

Feb 02, 2018

The lessons do not seem to match the assignments. The instructions for the assignments are confusing.

By Madison T

Oct 05, 2016

Instructions were very unclear compared to the rest of the courses in the specialization.

By Melania D

Jul 25, 2019

I find that most of the time I don't know what is expected of me in the assignments

By Cassandra H

The course, while an interesting topic, was very poorly constructed. The "lessons" were weak, the "instructor" rambled in her interviews, and the assignments were vague at best. I had to search the discussion boards to find guidance on how to complete the assignments. The instructions actually given for the assignments were rambling, almost stream-of-consciousness sentences that gave little instruction. The lessons had little to do with actual character development and nothing about how to write a believable character; merely repetitive"insights" from other authors.

At first, I had really looked forward to the class, but once it started I worked fast to get it over with as quickly as possible. I was very disappointed in this course and wish I hadn't wasted my money or time. Please, consider a different instructor and assignments for the future. This was a poor excuse for a class.

By jessica

Aug 09, 2016

The peer reviewed assignments are next to useless, as there is no oversight on them. I think there needs to be a basic comprehension assessment done first, before allowing fellow learners the ability to pass/fail students in the course.

By Hannah K

Apr 01, 2018

I did not enjoy the lecturer (Amy Bloom) at all. I felt her videos and lectures were not very beneficial, and her teaching style was lacking. The assignments were okay, but overall I do not feel like I learned much from thsi course.

By Lilian S

Sep 26, 2016

I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone who's paying. The assignments instructions are too vague to understand and there's no example given.