Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N

Sep 26, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

176 - 200 of 413 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Frankie W

Mar 08, 2019

Amy Bloom was amazing. I loved her style of teaching. I would absolutely take a class with her again

By Lynnette O

Feb 02, 2017

I had no idea how much I didn't know! I enjoyed the class and felt like I learned a lot. Thank you!

By james r

Mar 21, 2019

I see a marked improvement in both my confidence and skill as a writer from each of these classes.

By Amnah M d P Z E

Apr 13, 2020

I think this course teaches you a lot of writing skills and really helps to make a good character

By Renee C W

Sep 06, 2018

Insightful lectures and great assignments that challenged me as a writer, further honing my craft

By Shalini N

Jul 17, 2018

Great course! Nice assignments! Makes you really think through different aspects of your writing.

By Rajesh D

Aug 26, 2020

The course enhances creative thinking and writing skills. The professor gives ample of examples.

By Aprielle T

Aug 30, 2018

I learned a lot from this course which will definitely help me with my writing and career goals.

By Claretta T W

May 01, 2016

I enjoyed the pace of this course and the constructive feedback I received from fellow students.

By Angelo B

Mar 20, 2016

I love writing, and even if English is not my mother tongue this course is enjoyable and useful!

By Ameera M

Jul 15, 2020

Very informative, rich with sources that help us better understand. Would definitely recommend.

By Carmen L B

Jun 13, 2019

With this course, I gathered a strong sense of how to develop a character for a story or scene.

By Esha B

Mar 07, 2019

Have learnt many new tricks and Amy Bloom's talks are absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much!

By Aggie H

May 15, 2020

I love this course. The tips of creating the characters echo in my mind. Thank you very much!

By Amanda C

Sep 05, 2016

Excellent experience. Instructor was very informative and the peer feedback was very helpful.

By Debra T

Jun 13, 2018

Professor Bloom was so great and full of invaluable knowledge. I learned so much, thank you!

By Rachel M

Jan 21, 2017

I truly have learned a lot, especially understanding more about my strengths and weaknesses

By swapna g

Nov 13, 2019

I enjoyed the course. Would have loved it more with a few readings along with the videos

By Homer W

Aug 06, 2018

"The Craft of Character" is a basic building block to understanding character narration.

By Erinn J

Mar 16, 2018

Fantastic class that really helped me organize the way I create and develop characters.

By MPEARSALL

Aug 13, 2017

Excellent course. I enjoyed how the instructors brought the content together.

By Carol W

Nov 08, 2016

Great course, the instructor provided insights into what makes a character interesting.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Aileen

Aug 05, 2020

I enjoyed the exercises vermy much, they really stretched my thinking and helped me.

By Michelle D

Mar 31, 2017

Outstanding: Provides many tools to help the author better tell their story. Yeah