Back to Global Impact: Cultural Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Impact: Cultural Psychology by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Globalization has brought dramatic changes to the marketplace. A proliferation of global brands brings diverse cultures to a consumer population that is also growing culturally diverse. This course enables students to understand how globalization changes consumers at a psychological level, and provides tools for imbuing brands with cultural meanings—creating iconic brands—that can resonate with global consumers. The focus is on understanding that culture exists in the mind (e.g., values and beliefs) as well as in the environment (e.g., objects, brands, and institutions), and that globalization creates multi-cultural spaces in contemporary societies. Consumers can use the cultural meaning of a brand to build their identities (i.e., assimilate the brand cultural symbolism) or reject the brand’s cultural meaning(s) (i.e., exclusionary reactions). The course will help students identify when assimilation vs. exclusionary reactions are more likely to occur, as well as devise strategies for imbuing brands with cultural meanings that can elevate them to the status of cultural icons. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: • Understand how globalization impacts the psychological responses of consumers in global markets • Understand what culture is and how it manifests itself • Understand how brands acquire cultural meanings • Predict consumers’ responses to the cultural meanings in brands • Identify strategies to win-over multi-cultural consumers in globalized markets • Learn how to build an iconic brand This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

KW

Apr 21, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course material and content. It was well organized, interesting, and engaging.

ER

May 16, 2019

What a great course! I learned so much about brands, cultures and product development.

1 - 20 of 20 Reviews for Global Impact: Cultural Psychology

By Kia W

Apr 21, 2020

By Elka R

May 16, 2019

By Tina B

Aug 03, 2020

This course has been a challenge to me throughout. The context of this course has exposed me towards a wider scale of understanding the overall culture globally related to the business industry.

The examples and explanations put forward by the professor is really knowledgeable and well narrated.

By Alfonsus G

Jul 28, 2020

A well-known product or brand actually describes a culture from the region. A detailed explanation along with an example made me gain a lot of new knowledge about the brand and its culture, including brands from my country. I recommend this class.

By Rahadian

Jun 08, 2020

This course give us better understanding the nature of culture in the world which can influence branding and especially the way for business, so that we can improve our strategy to get positive outcome from the knowledge.

By Carlo I

Apr 10, 2018

A very insightful course that highlights specific aspects of branding and marketing.

By Matěj K

Oct 10, 2019

I like this course very much because of the information and knowledge it offers.

By 梁倬领

May 15, 2020

It provides me different perspectives for my marketing career and learning!

By Amy K

Apr 15, 2020

insightful class - opened my eyes to seeing the world differently.

By DIPANWITA K

Jul 26, 2020

I t was an excellent course. I only wish it was not so concise.

By Jenny B

Jun 12, 2018

Great course and very engaging!!!

By Hector R

Sep 30, 2020

ssss

By Maria L

Dec 19, 2017

Curso completo con el cual aprendí nuevos conceptos y herramientas para lograr que una marca impacte en mercados internacionales. El profesor ha explicado todos los conceptos de forma clara y concisa.

By Fraser M

Apr 13, 2018

Interesting points and topics covered in this course, but not a lot too it...