Back to Differential Equations for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Differential Equations for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course is about differential equations and covers material that all engineers should know. Both basic theory and applications are taught. In the first five weeks we will learn about ordinary differential equations, and in the final week, partial differential equations. The course is composed of 56 short lecture videos, with a few simple problems to solve following each lecture. And after each substantial topic, there is a short practice quiz. Solutions to the problems and practice quizzes can be found in instructor-provided lecture notes. There are a total of six weeks in the course, and at the end of each week there is an assessed quiz. Lecture notes can be downloaded from http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/differential-equations-for-engineers.pdf...

AK

Sep 08, 2019

It was a great journey to go through this course. Prof. Jeffery explains the concepts very well. I hope this course will help me greatly in my other courses.

YH

Apr 03, 2019

Thank you Prof. Chasnov. The lectures are really impressive and explain derivations throughly. I cannot enjoy more on a math course than this one.

1 - 25 of 60 Reviews for Differential Equations for Engineers

By 舒佩文

May 15, 2019

excellent! this is a very introduction to differential equations, and every point is divided properly so it is easy to follow and the instructor is very patient to illustrate all the material, by the way , the handout could be printed, extremely convenient.

By Samanyu R K

Apr 07, 2019

This a very helpful course. Very well designed. It is very helpful to have the instructor actively responding to queries. Learned a lot and in detail about the differential equations and its applications.

By Seyed I A F

May 23, 2019

I can't be thankful enough for this course. It was a life changing for me. Thank you VERY much!

By Michael O

Mar 16, 2019

This course is on the whole very well explained by the tutor. He explains very well how equations arise in physical situations, much better than you would find in a textbook. The course is very well structured and the videos are are of a convenient length, about 10 minutes each, so that we are not overloaded with material. I am not an engineer and it is only now that I have an understanding of resonance and realise that it is the amplitude of the vibration that increases with time that causes the breaking of a glass or the destruction of a bridge. Although I scored highly in all the module quizzes I found the course very tough. It is essential to do all the practice questions and the intermediate quizzes along the way. I also found it useful to pause the video and work out derivations either before or after the tutor had done so. The only quibble I have is that the tutor sometimes worked out too much in his head. Now this is fine for someone who is already proficient but is not fine for learners who are meeting the material for the first time. In my experience small little things can often block a learner's progress. In addition to the video material there is also a pdf document of the lectures which contains worked solutions to the problems. Thus is useful for checking your own solutions against.

By Zhiwei H

Dec 24, 2019

As a finance student who has basic knowledge of calculus and linear algebras, I really really enjoy the course, it helped me to combine my math knowledge together while obtain a deeper insight into the applications in life. Professor Jeffrey is awesome, really enjoy his teaching, everything is progressive, clear and beautiful. Just one tip: maybe because of my finance background, I found some cases are too engineering for me to follow-up, such as the diffusion function. That said, the quiz is not very challenging and you could still work out even if you're not attending the engineering school. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to study differential equations.

By Zhibai L

Jan 13, 2020

This course is very useful in my career. I am entering into an MFE program, and since I did not take PDE in my undergraduate, my program set this course as a prerequiste of PDE. This course is very interesting and easy understand. It took me 1 week to complete when I just concentrate on this course and set everything aside. Now I could take some advanced PDE application course in field of finance. Before this course, I really could not understand what is going on in terms like non-linear solver in my finance book. Great adventure!

By Chi L L

Jun 15, 2019

This is the third maths course offer by HKUST. The course itself is very well structured as the flow of how the maths concepts relate to reach other to how useful differential equation is for modelling different system are well presented by Prof. Jeff and the course framework. The course makes maths very relatable and visual which is important then just practicing maths skills over and over. Looking forward if there are another maths courses by Prof. Jeff any time soon.

By Chintan S

Dec 23, 2019

Brilliant course with sufficient problems to practice and learn and very well explained concepts throughout. Especially liked (1) the illustrations in the physical world to show differential equations in action (2) Well organized lecture notes to refer and learn from (3) Professor Chasnov summarizing each lecture video at the end.

Professor Jeff. Chasnov, please make a subsequent course on partial differential equations.

By Sebastian R

Dec 08, 2019

Definitly one of the best courses I've taken so far. The large number of problems was really helping in understanding the material more deeply. After each newly introduced topic there is a short problem to solve, by which one can test his understandig of the topic. Also there are plenty of applications to real world problems and how to model these, by which the Diff Eq. topic is further motivated.

By Magdalena D

Sep 05, 2019

I recommend this course to anyone no matter if you are a beginner or already had some first experiences with differential equations, there are suplemental videos where one can alsolearn some basics of algebra if needed, everything is easly explained with interesting application in physics as examples. I would only like the course to have more theoretical background at the beginning of the videos.

By Drew K

Oct 28, 2019

Covered a large amount of information. Definitely took a couple extra weeks due to how much free time I had around family and work, but overall helpful. Would like to see the final week maybe split into two weeks for greater detail. I felt like some of the material had to be rushed due to time constraints.

By Derek E

Oct 03, 2019

This is an excellent overview of the subject. Although I wish there was more coverage of partial differential equations, I understand the limitations of a four week course, and feel that Prof. Chasnov did an excellent job of covering the important topics.

By Dat V N

Aug 09, 2019

The professor explains everything in great details in a calm manner. After each video there is a small but not trivial exercise which I found very useful in consolidating the concept. Highly recommend for anyone who want to study Differential Equations.

By Ashish k

Sep 08, 2019

By Fernanda B V M

Aug 24, 2019

Great course! The Lecture Notes pdf has detailed solutions to all the recommended problems, which is extremely helpful. The lectures are engaging and clear!

By Yitao H

By Vidhya K

Jan 15, 2020

Really good course. Well organized. Applications to physical systems might be difficult to grasp for non physics students. But you can do well.

By Phillip H

Jul 15, 2019

A really great course. The work is very challenging, but rewarding. Thank you Professor Chasnov for an excellent course!

By Saud K

Nov 24, 2019

I have learned a lot from this course. This is very helpful for every engineer. Thank you so much, Sir.

By Manny

Nov 01, 2019

A good refresher to the differential equations and solutions to first and second order problems

By monira j k

Aug 22, 2019

I have just started. I find it an awesome course. Thanks to the instructor for hard work.

By Alexander B

Jun 29, 2019

Great course to learn how to use Differential Equations in real life. Highly recommended!

By Rehan S

Jul 23, 2019

Very friendly for beginners. Very useful concepts for engineers. Really helpful for me.

By G V S H C

Apr 03, 2019

Was amazing learning something new in this course under our beloved professor.

By Hector G J L

Oct 13, 2019

Me gusto, muy bueno, temas que nunca vi los conoci por este medio. Excelente