Back to Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

For a sample of what this course will include, see the video "Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life MOOC with University of Illinois Professor David Ruzic" - http://go.citl.illinois.edu/Energy-MOOC This course teaches you everything you need to know about energy, the environment, and at least a number of things in everyday life. It starts by talking about energy itself and where it comes from. This includes how much we have, who has it, who uses it, and what that all means. The video clips are produced in a fast-paced multimedia format during which Professor Ruzic throws in fun and demonstrations. There are multiple-choice questions to check your understanding and some more in-depth exercises to guide you deeper into the subject. After explaining the main things we use energy for – our cars and electronics! – fossil fuels are examined in detail. Want to really learn about fracking or pipelines? Watch these segments. The environmental effects of fossil fuels are taught as well. Global warming, acid rain, and geoengineering all are in this part of the course. Part of their solution is too. Renewables follow, with clips on solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, biofuels, etc. You’ll even see Professor Ruzic in a corn field and in the middle of a stream showing how you could dam it up. Finally, nuclear power is taught in detail – how it really works and what happens when it doesn’t work, as in Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima, as well as how we are making it today, which is shown here without political preconceptions. In this course, economics takes center stage. People will ultimately do whatever costs the least, so energy policy is most effective when it is targeted at the user’s wallet. Throughout the course there are 24 segments on “How Things Work." These guides to everyday life are tremendously varied, covering everything from fireworks to making beer to what happens backstage at a theater. The course is designed to be enjoyable as well as informative. We hope you will take a look!...

AM
Feb 2, 2021

The course was conducted with a lot of passion, which is admirable. Sometimes, the videos can get a little lengthy. However, they are made enjoyable by how enthusiastically the content was taught!

YC
Jun 26, 2020

The best thing about this course is Prof. Ruzic. Thanks to him, I felt no problem in understanding concepts and the practical approach has helped me memorize lot of stuff.

26 - 39 of 39 Reviews for Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life

Apr 10, 2020

good topics

By Nilanjan D

Jul 21, 2020

GOOD

By souhardya b

Nov 4, 2020

W

By Jatin D

Aug 7, 2020

V

By Satyam K P

Nov 1, 2020

It is a great journey to learn about the Environment and how to protect it.

By Chow Y S

Jun 8, 2020

A very good course for general knowledge

By Abhinandan K

Nov 1, 2020

Nice experience

By Taranpreet K

May 30, 2021

The only reason why I am leaving a low rating is because of the unfair peer grading done in this course. I started this course with so much of enthusiasm and I was so happy to learn so many amazing things from Professor Ruzic. A lot of learners are just teaming up with each other to get full grades on their assignment even when they haven't even submitted the whole work or have even submitted something else. I worked so hard on my assignments and all of my solutions are correct. I took the right approach and solved everything as asked. However, 2 learners graded me poorly, I really don't know what they would get out of it. I am so sad to leave this course but I hope the team looks into this unfair grading practice by peers.

By Kua H Y M