Back to Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University

Not so long ago, it was almost guaranteed that you would die of an infectious disease. In fact, had you been born just 150 years ago, your chances of dying of an infectious disease before you've reached the tender age of 5 would have been extremely high. Since then, science has come a long way in understanding infectious diseases - what they are, how they spread, and how they can be prevented. But diseases like HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, or the flu are still major killers worldwide, and novel emerging diseases are a constant threat to public health. In addition, the bugs are evolving. Antibiotics, our most potent weapon against bacterial infections, are losing their power because the bacteria are becoming resistant. In this course, we'll explore the major themes of infectious diseases dynamics. After we’ve covered the basics, we'll be looking at the dynamics of the flu, and why we're worried about flu pandemics. We'll be looking at the dynamics of childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough, which were once considered almost eradicated, but are now making a comeback. We'll explore Malaria, and use it as a case study of the evolution of drug resistance. We'll even be looking at social networks - how diseases can spread from you to your friends to your friends' friends, and so on. And of course we’ll be talking about vaccination too. We’ll also be talking about how mobile phones, social media and crowdsourcing are revolutionizing disease surveillance, giving rise to a new field of digital epidemiology. And yes, we will be talking about Zombies - not human zombies, but zombie ants whose brains are hijacked by an infectious fungus. We're looking forward to having you join us for an exciting course!...

DB

Apr 23, 2016

Can't fault this course at all and nor would I want to. Very interesting, brilliantly presented and the range of experts really enhanced it. It was engaging and made me keen to find out more.

SN

Apr 12, 2016

great course and its intensive learning . One might think its just another course . However, one needs to follow all the lectures and notes closely to be able to pass all their assignments .

1 - 25 of 152 Reviews for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

By Joseph C

Jul 17, 2019

Very interesting, and lots of fun!

By Sharik V V Z

Jul 11, 2019

Es un curso sumamente enriquecedor, posee componentes de vital importancia para el entendimiento de la dinámica de las enfermedades. Como estudiante de microbiología próxima a graduarse sinceramente encontré este curso como una manera muy óptima y entretenida de refrescar mis conocimientos. Muchas gracias.

By Cecilia I B M

Jun 14, 2019

SO interesting!! And a easily way to learn

By Camila S R

Mar 24, 2019

I really enjoyed all the topics! Getting to the end wishing to have an opportunity to talk to you again. Congratulations to all of you!

By Kenneth L J J

Feb 13, 2019

This was a really well taught coURSE!

By Wojciech W

Feb 02, 2019

Very interesting course with many wonderful information presented in funny and engaging way.

By Giorgia B

Jan 28, 2019

I loved it. It's complete in every aspect, it explains deeply the whole problem of epidemics but at the same time it's not too difficult from who comes from different fields rather than medicine or biology. Really awesome course.

By Omer K

Jan 17, 2019

an excellent learning experience it was

i am glad that i will utilize this learning at masters level of my studies

thank you so much !

By ABBA B

Oct 23, 2018

Ce cours m'a permis d'avoir une connaissance large sur la pathologie infectieuse ainsi que les mesures sanitaires à entreprendre c'est-à-dire l'utilisation des médicaments au moment où le besoin y est afin de bien les gérer sans être perturber les flores bactériennes.

By Monira A

Oct 16, 2018

very very very clear and informative I'm very glad that i enrolled

By 白金松

Oct 02, 2018

非常不错,科普效果很不错,对于有一些基础知识的人也很有益处,边上的手绘示例真的很可爱

By James F

Sep 19, 2018

This was a well put together course. The short 3 minute videos were perfect!

By David E M E

Sep 07, 2018

Really good course. It give me the basis for epidemic área

By Aruhomukama D

Aug 22, 2018

Great Course !

By Edgar Y C O

Aug 20, 2018

The best course that I made. I like the class and the simply of concepts related with the dynamics of epidemic. I congratulate to Professors team.

By CARLOS A P M

Aug 18, 2018

excelent

By Gianguglielmo Z

Jun 12, 2018

Very very good course and very useful

By Alicia M

May 23, 2018

Great course! It was informative and better prepared me for my upcoming MPH program.

By Quentin L T

Apr 08, 2018

Great course, great professors. Thank you !

By Marc B F

Mar 31, 2018

Very interesting, covering a great diversity of topics inside the epidemics field and easy to follow

By mohrah m a

Mar 18, 2018

it was a pleasure for me to be a participant in that course, it was so useful and tremendous

By Elize

Jan 30, 2018

The instructors state in the beginning, that they put a lot of effort into making this course fun... And it was! The course provides an overview on history of emergence and treatment of infectious diseases as well as developments and future considerations for prevention and treatment. The information is explained very well and supported by very entertaining animations, which help to memorize the course material. The additional readings and videos provided each week were informative and offered increased understanding of each topic. This was the 8th course I completed on Coursera, and eventhough I enjoyed all, this the only one I rated with 5 stars. Enjoy!

By Chris J

Dec 22, 2017

Excellent big picture overview of epidemics with very knowledgeable faculty bringing a wealth of expertise to the course.

By TANAKA P N

Dec 15, 2017

This course is super fine,slpendid.It gives a person more time to concentrate .

By Eric D