Back to First Order Optical System Design

First Order Optical System Design, University of Colorado Boulder

4.3

About this Course

Optical instruments are how we see the world, from corrective eyewear to medical endoscopes to cell phone cameras to orbiting telescopes. When you finish this course, you will be able to design, to first order, such optical systems with simple mathematical and graphical techniques. This first order design will allow you to develop the foundation needed to begin all optical design as well as the intuition needed to quickly address the feasibility of complicated designs during brainstorming meetings. You will learn how to enter these designs into an industry-standard design tool, OpticStudio by Zemax, to analyze and improve performance with powerful automatic optimization methods.  ...

By LS

Dec 20, 2018

A few new insights even for a senior optical engineer. I will keep working through their lectures if each one offers at least a few nuggets of insight.

By AY

Jan 17, 2019

Learned a ton about paraxial optics design. Great lecture, capstone project is A LOT of work (>20 hour) for me.

8 Reviews

By Richard D'Alo

Feb 05, 2019

Very advanced, and might be intractable for those without some previous optics experience.

By Ilse Johanna Minnaar

Jan 28, 2019

This course is an excellent and concise way to get acquainted with basic (paraxial, paper-based) optical design. I've been on a quest to self-study to becoming an optical designer and I've been looking for something like this - this is the course that addresses the gap in many an optical engineering text book. The assignments also necessitate some critical thinking and further study. The course is more involved than the overview would have one believe!

By April Yu

Jan 17, 2019

By Maryam Shirmohammad

Jan 10, 2019

I really enjoyed taking the course. Completing assignments especially after week 3 took me 2-3 times longer than the suggested specified time. However I learned a lot from this course.

Learning Zemax was always like a hurdle for me but amazingly the instructor walked me through the main features of the software and I feel you already know a lot about optical design and simulations.

The capstone project seems to be tough (I haven't started it yet), but it is worthed spending the time since it complements your learning and proficiency level.

By lihan

Jan 05, 2019

I appreciate the content of the course, however, it is not meet my expectation. I did the the questions and most of the questions is pulling my attention on numerical calculation rather than understanding the optics principle. It is wasting of my time on those calculation rather than understanding the optics design. I would highly recommend the teacher think deeply and carefully to assign the homework and questions which would reflect to the value student paid rather than coping the questions from his/her real class or somewhere, good questions are really important for student to understand and digest the knowledge.

By Lawrence Scherr

Dec 20, 2018

By Vitalii

Dec 11, 2018

ok. a bit easy

By Hicham Farah

Dec 11, 2018

Great content and teacher.

The course evaluation needs some debugging and problems should be better explained.