Back to An Introduction to the U.S. Food System: Perspectives from Public Health

An Introduction to the U.S. Food System: Perspectives from Public Health, Johns Hopkins University

About this Course

A food system encompasses the activities, people and resources involved in getting food from field to plate. Along the way, it intersects with aspects of public health, equity and the environment. In this course, we will provide a brief introduction to the U.S. food system and how food production practices and what we choose to eat impacts the world in which we live. We will discuss some key historical and political factors that have helped shape the current food system and consider alternative approaches from farm to fork. The course will be led by a team of faculty and staff from the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future. Guest lecturers will include experts from a variety of disciplines, including public health, policy and agriculture....

By RD

Apr 29, 2018

Loved it! I recommend it to anyone new to public health, horticulture, agriculture, farming, agroecology and the like. I wish I took this course sooner. A+

By YF

Aug 28, 2017

I really enjoyed learning about all the different aspect surrounding the U.S. food system. The video lectures were very clear and informative!

16 Reviews

By Rooney

Sep 07, 2018

Great introduction to an extremely complicated topic

By Reshama Damle

Apr 29, 2018

By Biswajit Das

Apr 18, 2018

The learnings from this course will me more healthier and I will apply these concept to my family members .

By Gedaliah Riesenberg

Apr 11, 2018

life changing subject matter - excellently presented. highly recommended

By Milonee

Mar 15, 2018

Excellent primer into the history of the U.S. Food System, the problems associated with industrial agriculture, and the efforts which are currently underway to address these problems. Highly recommend for someone who has little experience in this field and wants to learn more. Lectures are engaging and taught by a variety of experienced professionals, many of whom have books/essays which you can follow up with if you find their lectures engaging.

By Jonathan Golland

Feb 02, 2018

Great course. I learned a lot although I found the last module to be somewhat redundant and philosophical and had nothing to do with the running and operation of a farm

By Milan Sandhu

Feb 01, 2018

By Maria Clemencia Zambrano-Wilson

Jan 25, 2018

I enjoy the lectures. Although, the information in some cases are not very up to date. Some of the slides are more that 5 years old. i don´t know if it is becuase new data has not been updated. Great for introduction to beginners.

By Ava Richardson

Jan 13, 2018

This course contains a wealth of information concerning the U.S. food policies from the history of the Farm Bill to cultural and subjective norms that determine our food choices. I would recommend this course for anyone interested in environmental sustainability,

By Andrea Broekemeier

Dec 31, 2017

This was an interesting course and wasn't what I expected when I first signed up. I think I was expecting a more dry course on the US food system, but it actually ended up being quite interesting and focused a lot on different aspects of the food system which are problematic. For an introductory course into the food system it covered many different topics without getting too focused on any one thing, and I hope they decide to add more courses that focus on these different topics so we can learn about them on a deeper level.