Back to Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender by The University of Melbourne

What do paintings tell us about sex? How is art gendered? In this course we will study some of the world’s most beloved pictures guided by expert curators and art historians who step outside of the square, bringing a gendered reading to the masterpieces contained in the magnificent collections that we have been lucky enough to bring to the Coursera platform. In this course you will learn how: * Gender and sexuality is an integral part of the production and reception of works of art * To increase your understanding of paintings through theories of gender and sexuality * To understand key terms from gender-related theories of art history and museology * To recognise the operation of what is termed ‘the gaze’ and how it works in relation to paintings * Ideas about gender and sexuality can productively be employed in theorising art curatorial practices * To take the initiative in relating theoretical ideas about gender and sexuality to the reading and display of art and visual cultures. View the MOOC promotional video here: http://tinyurl.com/hm7qbl3...

E

Sep 12, 2019

I'm really enthused with the lesson cause I feel I had a general view before about this subject and now I m approaching the core. It;s been an issue that I was thinking a lot the last 2 years.

IC

Very interesting and complete -a great window into several art galleries (especially now, during the context of COVID-19!), styles, personalities and iconic works of art.

51 - 71 of 71 Reviews for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

Jul 06, 2016

E

By Olga L P R

Dec 11, 2018

I have learned about the codes of sexuality and gender through this course. Tests are a bit difficult but it depends on which is your best mental trend. You need lots of memory and find the exact words to answer the questions. Some can be tricky, some you can't understand them much well. However, the main conclusion is the world of art has a lot of this sexuality element and you feel the course gets short about it, but you get the ability to find it. I believe you should use it to find the codes in your local art museum.

By silvia e

Jun 15, 2020

Un curso interesante, que nos ofrece el conocimiento necesario para poder leer de una manera más profunda obras de arte que, de otra forma, admiraríamos sólo por su apariencia. Excelente excusa, además, para reflexionar sobre el papel que la mujer ha tenido en la historia del arte (reflejo de su papel en la vida) y el papel que queremos tener en la actualidad y en el futuro.

By Alina L

Dec 31, 2016

I learned a lot from this course! I loved how analytical it was and it was great to learn about the historical contexts of gender on the canvas. It has already made some of my museum visits much more interesting and thought-provoking. I will say that at times it would be difficult to follow the lecturers is the only issue I had with this course. Otherwise it was awesome.

By Christie

Jul 21, 2017

This is a stimulating and accessible course that challenges your thinking. I appreciated how it had such global and historical outlooks, casting a net wide across the globe and including pre-20th-century and contemporary works of art. The questions asked pricked one's curiosity.

By Kathryn

Jun 13, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. An added bonus--I now understand what "sensibility" really means as related to the novel, Sense & Sensibility" by Jane Austen. I hope this team comes up with a part 2 or another class.

By Likhitha B

Jul 01, 2017

The gradual depiction of gender since conventions were flouted and refinements textured was portrayed brilliantly from the pastoral paintings to Indigent 21st century works.

By Kristen H

May 17, 2017

Very interesting content and insights. I would have liked a bit more of an intro on gender theory and concepts relating to art before jumping into the artwork.

By James S

Jan 27, 2017

Good course. Coming from a traditional art historical context/content. Which is still a very valuable methodology in this age of "Visual Culture"! Thank you.

By Márcia B

May 04, 2017

It is an great course with an amazing content!

The only problem is that sometimes it gets extremely monotonous =/

By Margaret S C

Oct 01, 2016

Very well illustrated and organized course. Points made very clearly. Good learning experience.

By Dionne L

Jan 06, 2020

Enjoyed this course, in particular the section on Indigenous art.

By Zélie L

Aug 16, 2017

Great course, with very fine details.

By 赵佳彧

Jul 16, 2017

内容非常有趣,老师讲得比较容易听懂。

By Francisco L

Aug 08, 2019

Mi idea sobre el curso al parecer estaba sobrevalorada, en el tiempo que lo he seguido he encontrado muy flojos los videos y el contenido en general y detalles muy molestos. Las introducciones a los videos duran 1,30 minutos, duración exagerada como introduccion a un video de duración 5 minutos de media. Las manchas negruzcas como de tinta en los videos entorpecen, tapan lo que se quiere mostrar y por tanto son molestas y torpes. Lo siento porque el contenido era muy interesante pero a mi juicio muy mal planificado.

By -

Apr 25, 2016

Some interesting lessons, yet a rather boring presentation as most faculty were reading their scripts, or seemed nearly jet-lagged in some lessons. Sound recording is sometimes also perfectible (echo due to large museum room).

One may also take into consideration that the perspective given in the course is a bit "Australian-centric". I should have expected this as the course came from the University of Melbourne, but I have the feeling that some courses on Coursera feel a bit more "global"...

By Eduardo L V

All the content is great, the course is really well designed interesting, maybe some times I wished for more technical information rather that someones opinions but that's just me, the reason I give it 3 stars is the lecturers, a course or two on how to engage an audience wold not do any harm.

By Deon M

Jun 14, 2016

Very good information with a fantastic understanding of the variety of artists. However, I almost dreaded logging in to watch the lectures; they were often boring me to tears. Were this information presented in a more engaging way, this review would be much higher.

By Barbora K

very basic, might be good for some one who has never done any art history before , however the tests were way too easy - one could pass them without watching the videos as most of the questions were either leading ones, or on of the optional answers ways just obviously right (aka way longer than other options, more descriptive or just the only one that made sense), and passing with just 50% right shouldn't really be an option

By Caroline F

Dec 28, 2016

Superinteresting subject, but since I did not have access to all the literature through the website I was not able to finish it unfortunatly