Back to Getting Started with Essay Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started with Essay Writing by University of California, Irvine

Course 2: Getting Started with Essay Writing This is the second course in the Academic English: Writing specialization. By introducing you to three types of academic essays, this course will especially help prepare you for work in college classes, but anyone who wants to improve his or her writing skills can benefit from this course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - create effective thesis statements for your essays - plan and write compare/contrast, cause/effect, and argument essays - write well-developed body paragraphs Note: The lectures and practice activities are available for free, but you must upgrade to the pay version in order to take the quizzes and get feedback on writing assignments....

BD
Nov 16, 2015

Thank you for teaching me how to write basic essays. This has been one of my most important goals for years. I've tried several other ways of learning but your method worked for me. Thank you so much.

EB
Dec 4, 2015

I am only on the second week an have done my essay and feel very powerful. English is not my first language but the instructor made it easy for me by detailing every aspect of essay writing. Thank you

26 - 50 of 735 Reviews for Getting Started with Essay Writing

By Niedja d A e S F d S

Nov 2, 2015

It is a wonderful course. I can't believe that it is possible to find a such qualified course for free! The organization, content, activities, practice and tasks were perfect. Neither in my face to face english classes I have learned how to build a so effective essay. Thanks, Coursera. Thanks, University of California - Irvine!

By Loretta J M

Jul 3, 2016

This course is fabulous!! The participants will learn what the types of essays are, they will learn the parts of an essay, and they will learn how to formulate/structure essays. Thank you so very much, Coursera and Professor Chapman!!! I have learned a significant amount of information which have enhanced my writing skills.

By Wendy Z

Feb 6, 2018

The course is a well-designed one, in which I can get differet types of essays writing practiced. Before each writing task, guidelines are given to help the students better understand the requirements. It is also very beneficial to read other learners' essays, as there will always be some new ideas shared and discussed.

By Adiki S

Jun 6, 2020

The course really helped me in writing by own essays. I was not known before like there will be thesis statement, supporting statements and their details with examples in any report writing, after taking this course it made my job very simple to understand topic, brainstorm the ideas and write the thesis effectively.

By Rafael D

Oct 20, 2015

The second part of the specialization, getting started with essay writing, is extremely useful. It has lots and lots of essential things to learn and practice in writing. I strongly recommend completing this course since it shapes the way you create fully developed and strong message, that your essay should contain.

By ABBAS K

It is incredibly great start for those who seek mastery in writing. I couldn't write even a short paraghraph about something. This course has enabled me to write even 500 words long essay about any topic that i come across. I am going to take the subsequent course in this specialization. Thank you COURSERA.

By Eloise S

Nov 28, 2020

This course gave me confidence and the necessary skills in writing that I can use in my career change. Thanks so much to our instructors Ms. Tamy Chapman and Ms. Helen Nam, the University of California, Irvine, all my classmates who took time to review my essays, and Coursera. More power to you! Stay safe!

By Léo S

Oct 20, 2020

A wonderful course; comprehensive, structured; I have been looking for such an introductory class on essay writing for a long time, and with each step of this course, I am gaining the confidence and skills required to write flawlessly and academically. Thank you very much, and good learning to everyone !

By Rochelle S

Sep 2, 2016

No-nonsense course that teaches you the nuts and bolts of academic essay writing. I've looked at a bunch of writing courses both here at Coursera and other sites. This is one of the best I have found. No words are wasted. No lengthy boring lecture. Just the stuff you need to know. Don't miss it!

By Marcel T A

Nov 13, 2015

Very good. I missed some way to communicate the others their mistakes. Such as sending a pdf or word, coloured and maybe with the mistakes underlined. I am just thinking of what I would like to receive from others. I think that it could make the practice even more effective.

Thank you for the course!

By Viet T

Nov 17, 2016

In the modern world today, English becoming an essential language. If you can speak English, everybody can understand what you are talking about, but if you can transform what you are thinking into writing, you become a master. Writing essay is one of the major step bring you to this target.

By Vaibhav K

Jun 23, 2017

This is a wonderful course. Specially, I wanna thank to professors because they provide clear explanation through video lecture. In this course, they taught wonderful strategy how to tackle an academic essay. It is very useful for the beginner. I would like to give great thumps UP.

By Pallavi R

Oct 5, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I appreciate the simplistic way in which everything has been explained. It was really helpful in increasing an intrinsic value in writing. I would like thank course designers and teachers for sharing their knowledge with students across the world.

By PRAKASH B

Jul 19, 2020

Course is very nice, but i want give one suggestion regarding peer review assignment. Most of the peer write essay in different topic than assigned, and there is no criteria for subject matter of essay. Furthermore, i feel that many peers seems not serious about evaluation.

By Olesia A

Mar 1, 2016

The course provides essential knowledge on how to approach writing an essay. those who are involved in both academic and professional activities can benefit from it. The profesor is concise. The course is practice-oriented, so be prepared to mastering your writing skills.

By Kevin P

Aug 19, 2020

I learned about organizing essay paragraphs, essay styles, and best practices to follow. Content-wise, it's a good course. One suggestion is that they should include an AI-based essay rater. The essay rater will estimate the score of an essay and give useful suggestions.

By Nathan B

Mar 30, 2018

An excellent choice for those who would like to learn the principle foundations of essay writing. The Peer Review process is open to abuse, but don't let it prevent you from learning and being who you are, education is about growing as a person, so grow, grow, grow!

By anjali g

Feb 26, 2019

I so wish to continue further. This course has helped me in my essay writing. Strangely, I have been in academia, but I have failed to understand the basics of essay writing until now. Thanks for having this course. It was extremely informative and helpful to me.

By Altaf H N

May 16, 2020

I have gone through many MOOC courses, this course I found very helpful, knowledgeable and support to build your essay writing from basic to sound level. As a non English writer and speaker, I found no barrier in learning. Keep learning, keep sharing. Thank you.

By noura_albudaiwi@yahoo.com

May 13, 2017

It is a great training course. My only suggestion that I wish you would add MLA and APA styles for writing references. I also wish to learn how to write a reference to a website. But overall, it was a wonderful experience.

Regards,

Noura Abdul Rahman Al-Bedaiwi

By Shalini Y

Jul 22, 2020

Awesome course. It helped me a lot to write a different type of essays. However I feel there should be marking by instructors as peers does not mark according to given criteria. They anonymously give grades without judging in rightful manner.

By Ayush R

Jun 7, 2020

Very well detailed course.I must say that after pursuing this course my essay writing skills has improved exponentially and i would also consider pursuing other courses of this particular specialization from University of California,Irvine.

By Alejandro B B

Aug 26, 2020

I have learned a lot about writing an academic essay and different types of essays. The lessons are clear and helpful. Exercises and practices are also pertinent. My only suggestion should be to change the criteria for the assignments.

By A.

Jul 30, 2020

I would like to thank the instructors of this course! I learned how to write academic essays in a proper way and also the videos are very informative. I recommend this course to everyone who wants to learn how write an academic essay.

By sunil u

Sep 15, 2016

Writing part was an immense difficulty for me, before Coursera Getting Started With Essay. The way my submitted assignment evaluated, gave me a credible feed back to improve my short coming and learn quickly.

Thanks you very much.