Back to Politics and Economics of International Energy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Politics and Economics of International Energy by Sciences Po

Energy issues have always been important in international relations, but in recent years may have become even more important than in the past due to the widespread awareness of existing limits to energy sources and negative climate impacts. The course discusses global trends in energy consumption and production, various available scenarios for potential developments in the coming decades, the availability of oil reserves and the evolution of the oil industry. It then discusses natural gas and highlights the differences between oil and gas. It will also discuss renewable energy sources, nuclear energy and EU energy policy. The course aims at providing students whose main interest is in international relations a background on energy resources, technology and economic realities to allow them to correctly interpret the political impact of current developments. It also aims at providing students, who already have a technical background in energy science or engineering, with the broad global view of energy issues that will allow them to better understand the social, economic and political impact of their technical knowledge. ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR : Giacomo Luciani Scientific Advisor for the Master in International Energy at the Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA) Sciences Po, Giacomo Luciani is also Adjunct Professor at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva and Director of the Executive Master in International Oil and Gas Leadership. For the period 2010-13 he was appointed Princeton University Global Scholar, attached to the Woodrow Wilson School and the Department of Near Eastern Studies. His research focuses on the political economy of the Middle East and North Africa and on global energy issues. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND : The course requires no special scientific, mathematical or economic background; all key concepts are clearly and elementarily explained. It is expected that it will be of interest to undergraduate and graduate students in schools where an equivalent course is not offered (this being the case for the vast majority of schools). USPC Sorbonne Paris Cité Supported by Université Sorbonne Paris Cité IDEX Investissements d'Avenir Funded by Investissements d'Avenir - 'ANR. Info : Course content : Licence Creative Commons BY NC SA...

DP
Sep 10, 2016

Excellent delivery.\n\nFantastic external sources with clear and precise explanations from a graphical viewpoint.\n\nGreat range of industry expertise and professionals within the appropriate fields.

RJ
Aug 2, 2017

With this course I have been able to better understand the role of energy in the development of the countries, and in a clear and simple way I have managed to understand how renewable energies work.

1 - 25 of 335 Reviews for Politics and Economics of International Energy

By Aditya

Jul 29, 2019

It could have been less focused on the energy policies of the countries of the Europe and European union.

By Aarne G

Jul 4, 2016

The course is out of touch with reality and systematically underplays the Paris Agreement, progress of renewable energy and EU emissions mitigation, says absolutely nothing about climate science. At times the attitude is down right hostile and disgusting. Will share these observations widely. We are in a climate emergency and need to do everything we can. When I was taking this course, my city is going through severe flooding and the country is in yellow alert stage due to abnormal thunder storms. You should be ashamed of yourself for pushing this garbage.

By Amnuaysak T

Oct 15, 2017

Professor Giacomo LUCIANI is very knowledgeable in this field and he has ability to present the topics in an easy and understandable way. We learnt this course with full understanding of the course content.

The course content is very good. It covers the basic topics that one should know about the issue so that they can use it being the stepping stone to search for deeper and specific relevant information/knowledge.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

By Anand V

Aug 10, 2020

The course teaches some very useful lessons in economic conservation. You'll learn a lot, and you will think critically.

Fundamentally, though, it has flaws. Some videos (esp. in Weeks 2 and 3) are extremely long and hard to follow. In addition, you cannot review wrong answers on quizzes. While I understand that it prevents cheating before one passes, it also means you cannot find out what answers you missed after passing. Finally, some of the quizzes have very few attempts per time period (128 hours is too long to wait, in my opinion).

By Vincent E K

Apr 28, 2018

The course was very interesting. And as i completed the Certificate of Energy & Finance from HEC in 2015, It was what i needed as a refresh of information. However, all the data in the course is dated from 2014. Since then, the energy landscape changed and i was expected a better overview on this. I was expecting an update to date or at least late 2016 early 2017.

The scope is very good, but the information needs to be more up to date

By Carlos A

Nov 11, 2017

This course gave me a better understanding on Geopolitics of Energy and a clear view of the energy trends with regards to oil, carbon, gas, renewables and nuclear. I feel more prepare to understand the debate between de-carbonization via renewables, energy efficiency, less pollutant energy sources (such as gas) and the dependence on traditional energy sources such as Oil. It was also very interesting to listen directly from the experts their points of view and the issues that need to be tackled first. The role of Russia and the emerging new leaders and potential providers of GAS, Shale Oil, and the new frontiers on innovation. I do recommend this course to anyone who has something to do with a Job related to any source of energy, either on the upstream, the downstream of oil/gas/carbon, on the Government, on Energy Agencies, on the Global warming side, or even in the Environment protection and Climate change defenders side. We all are part of the same planet and it is of outmost importance for all to understand each other.

By Federico B

Jul 31, 2020

I enjoyed the course and I enjoyed Prof. Luciani and his guests. I much appreciate the efforts of Science Po to create this MOOC. The quiz assessments at the end of each week are also helpful however some I suggest that each quiz notably for the week on oil and the week 8 be revised in terms of their pertinence and accuracy, it seems to me that some questions are ill formulated or do not make sense. It would be good to correct these in order to warrant for a full 5 star course!

By Marcos O

Aug 9, 2020

Content is very good, although in a very introductory level.

Quizzies are veryyyy bad. Questions aren’t clear enough, and could be easily fixed.

By Dhana R M

Jan 25, 2019

This course provides an acceptable beginners introduction to a broad range of energy issues. The lectures given by Professor Giacomo Luciani are interesting, as are most of the interviews with other experts.

The content on oil, gas and EU energy policies are okay for a beginner-level course. However the topics on renewable energy and nuclear seem to be under-developed and could have been better. Overall, much of the material is based pre-2014 data and needs to be updated in order for the course to continue being relevant.

About 50% of the course material comes from external public domain sources like YouTube and Vimeo, with most of them being rather short and superficial. There are several broken links and a few videos are available only in French with no subtitles.

Long-standing comments on the forums regarding issues with the content and assessments do not appear to have been addressed.

By Marjori P

Nov 27, 2018

The content is ok but the course is messy and badly produced. Lots of links to go to Youtube videos and the accents are a bit too strong to understand sometimes. The graphics in the videos sometimes are barely eligible.

By Spencer M

The course lectures, outside videos, and readings are mostly very good and hit key points in understanding the material. The professor usually does a very good job in summarizing important ideas. I very much enjoyed the course and will be able to use the added knowledge in my career.

I really liked the case studies, such as when we talked about the natural gas relationship between Russia and Europe or the discussion of sanctions against Iran. However, I really would have liked to see a discussion of Venezuela at some point to look at its unique position and problems, which are so much connected to its abundant energy resources. There wasn't enough discussion of South America in my opinion, although I did find the insights on Brazil very interesting.

The course quizzes are an area that needs improvement. Some of the quizzes have questions that are poorly phrased such that the answer is not clear based on the provided material i.e. there are sometimes multiple answers that could be right or the right answer isn't worded carefully enough. (I remember the quiz on renewables being particularly frustrating.)

Thanks for a useful course!

By Charlotte J

Apr 27, 2017

I learned a lot! Very interesting, educative, relevant and up to date issues/infos, eventhough it is not a 2017 course. The structure of the course makes a lot of sense. I enjoyed the teacher, easy to listen to. This course taugh me (as expect) about international politics through topics such as the difficult situation of gas pipelines. However it also encouraged me dig deaper on subject that should matter to any citizen. In fact, I found myself researching about my country's energy mix or recent green buildings in my city. Finally, I learned about technical and alternative option such as portable and safe nuclear energy -it did not even cross my mind that nuclear would be anything else than huge reactors -tricky to stop.

By Alejandro P

Feb 4, 2020

This is a great course if you're interested in learning the introductory concepts of international energy. Not only does it provide a great backdrop of the past, but also where we should be going in the future. The course gives a well-balanced view about all aspects of the energy sector, from supply to consumption, and often delves in to technical aspects of the sub-sectors it covers. Lastly, this course is great for understanding the climate challenges that the world faces today, and the steps that need to be taken in order to start reversing the negative impacts of CO2 emissions.

By Aileen A

Apr 27, 2020

This is very helpful and opened my eyes to a lot of things. I am not very well-versed with the current economics and status of the energy industry and this course really helped me a lot.

I finally know now that I should be more environmentally aware, conscious in my decisions and picking energy sources that can leave excessive carbon footprints and that SEA is pretty much reliant on coal still. My gained knowledge can help me further my aspirations and career goals in the Energy industry especially now that we're dealing with climate change.

By Samantha C M M

Mar 27, 2020

This course is great! I think it recapitulates the most important aspects of how energy works internationally in a well-structured course which is easy to follow and enjoyable. It's a course made many years ago so some of the information might not be updated, I highly suggest learners to verify all of the information that may have changed to this day.

I would definitely recommend it to people who are introducing themselves on the subject.

By Vikram S R

Jun 27, 2020

Thanks a lot Prof. Giacomo Luciani and SciencesPo and Coursera for the excellent holistic overview of the Politics & Economics of the International Energy. Highly recommended course to anybody interested in the Global Energy Issues. Some data are old which needs updation along with recent developments in oil supply & price crash events post covid19 scenario in the forthcoming session of the course. Thank you very much.

By Wadner P

Jan 27, 2017

I will strongly recommend "Politics and Economics of International Energy" to anyone working or thinking about working on the energy field. This course is also an asset for those advising policymakers or policy -makers themselves. I have learned so much from this course though the materials and interviews. Yes it was challenging because it is good. I can only say that I am glad I made the decision to take the course.

By Nino V

Jul 10, 2016

Very interesting course that provides a very insightful overview of the international energy issues. I like the way it is structured and how much of valuable information is given (taking into account relatively not big time commitment). I work in the electric power industry and I find information that I have learned during this course to be very helpful for my general understanding of the international energy issues.

By Divine M N

Jun 2, 2017

The course syllabus is very well structured.

In addition, crucial and complex aspects of the international energy industry are explained in a simple and excellent style.

If I could make a suggestion, a course on law/legal aspects of international energy could be a very good complement for this course. Maybe Coursera and Sciences Po (or some other University) could offer such a course sometime in the near future?

By David L R

Dec 12, 2018

A very comprehensive approach to the most well-known energy sources and their economic, social and political implications. I had no previous experience nor knowledge about energy before joining the course; now I can say I am way above average in my class. A recommendation would be to suggest more up-to-date papers regarding energy trends or websites that contain relevant updates to keep building knowledge.

By Chandra S A

Nov 13, 2017

Fantastic course with amazing presentations through videos, graphs, interviews and excellent pictures or videos of related fields in the background made the course really interesting.

The interviews conduct by Respected Professor Giacomo Luciani

made me felt as we are really present in a class.

I am very impressed by the course content of Geo-Politics of Gas especially.

Great Course.

By Mohsen V

Feb 28, 2018

Very good and useful course. I have learnt a lot of things from Videos and seminaries about the global energy. But I think it would better adding up a final written work in the last season. Thank You.

Muy buen curso. He aprendido muchas cosas de los videos y seminarios sobre la energía global. Pero creo que sería mejor si habría un trabajo final escrito en el último apartado. Gracias.

By Ondrej Š

Oct 21, 2016

More like 4,5 a star, but still a very good introduction to International energy markets. It touches the economy of energy, the politics of energy and also provides a deep look into the actual technological process of drilling oil, gas, etc. Materials are visual, lots of graphs, sometimes articles and interviews. Tests are moderately hard. I would certainly recommend this course.