Back to High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis by University of Michigan

This course has been designed to help leaders, like you, learn how to effectively navigate the challenges of significant organizational disruptions. As a participant in this course, you’ll discover why an understanding of various stakeholder perspectives can inform and dramatically improve a leader’s response to events that threaten an organization’s very survival. This course is also about understanding and developing individual and organizational resilience—the ability to anticipate potential threats; to cope effectively with adverse events when they occur; and to adapt to changing conditions, ensuring a viable path forward for yourself, your team, and your organization. These topics are particularly relevant in the wake of the global COVID-19 pandemic. Many course examples will reference lessons leaders around the world have learned during this far-reaching healthcare crisis. During the eight course modules, which are distributed over four weeks, participants will explore topics such as: Why the VUCA world is making crises more common; Characteristics of resilient organizations and ways to increase resilience; Stakeholder value propositions and how these are threatened during a crisis; Organizing frameworks for estimating the types of crises an organization might encounter; the Unique and challenging nature of the crisis environment; the Fundamentals of crisis leadership; and Building a plan to prepare yourself, your team, and your organization for your next major crisis—which, in today’s world, is not so much an “if”, as a “when”. Professor Mike Barger, your faculty member for this course, has served as a TOPGUN instructor in the United States Navy and as a founder and executive at JetBlue Airways. His professional experience has helped him learn a great deal about crisis leadership and to gain a true sense of what it means to be resilient. Throughout the course, Professor Barger will draw upon many practical examples that will make the content of this course easy to appreciate, understand, and translate into practical lessons that you will be able to apply immediately at your organization. Crisis leadership is a topic that’s exciting, daunting, and almost impossible to master. With some time and effort over the four weeks of the course, however, you can develop an exceptional set of crisis-leadership tools that will serve you well throughout your professional career....

SG
Oct 15, 2020

This course exceeded all of my expectations and was extremely valuable, even after a decade and a half of crisis communications work. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the topic.

AK
Dec 18, 2020

I have really gained a lot of knowledge and practical experience from this course. It will definitely empower me to prepare my organization and lead in times of crisis

1 - 25 of 54 Reviews for High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis

By VASILIKI B

Aug 24, 2020

This was an excellent course. I loved the videos and all the course material. The concepts and examples provided by Professor Barger were very easy to comprehend. The course includes practical advice that we can take back to our organizations right away and stir the water for some improvements

By David G

Aug 5, 2020

Great Course

By Dewal S

Sep 10, 2020

Brilliant course....I really enjoyed this course!!! Course material was brilliant..... Excellent videos, Informative readings, Great quizes. Prof Mike Barger explains each concept so well that even if one is new to the topic or one has little Intention of learning, he/she will have no option but to imbibe the concepts fully. I really appreciate the genuine effort in formulating this course for online learners. Thanks a ton Prof Mike Barger, University of Michigan, Coursera, & Class Central.

By Swadesh K N

Aug 22, 2020

The best course I ever opted for....thank you Mike sir for your efforts...I really feel connected with the course...

By Lori G

Aug 12, 2020

Great course and totally updated to address high stakes leadership and crisis management during Covid 19.

By Rachel T

Sep 7, 2020

Great class, great instructor and excellent content. You cannot afford not to take this class!

By Redvers F C

Sep 1, 2020

An absolutely brilliant course that was extremely informative and very enjoyable to study

By Lu M

Sep 15, 2020

A good course on crisis leadership and crisis management.

By Amusan E

Sep 5, 2020

Best course and we'll explained explanation 😃

By Nelson M

Sep 5, 2020

Excellent!

By Mona A A

Jun 20, 2020

GOOD

By susan p

Sep 10, 2020

The course was reasonably interesting, albeit a bit repetitive. It was not challenging especially if you have some experience of crisis leadership. The lecturer was Ok but I felt that the instructional design could have been improved. It felt very targeted to the US market as it used learning techniques I have regularly seen in the S, rather than in Europe. The graded tests are, in my view pointless as they do not allow for individual experiences to be reflected in the answers.

By Egor S

Oct 18, 2020

Brilliant teaching, excellent examples, wonderful practical training! Great course, thank you, professor, for this opportunity. Up-to-date topic and relevant practical examples, I've learned from this on-line course much more, then at other similar courses in auditoriums in Russia, Germany and Sweden. And of course, thank you Coursera for opportunity to study for free! Now , in this difficult Corona-crisis times, it's essentially important. I promise to use knowledge I've got at this our course, to help myself and others. Thank you for this course! Egor Sonin - Moscow, Russia, Berlin, Germany, Stockholm, Sweden.

By Youcef H

Dec 19, 2020

Thank you so much! i feel like i've learned alot from this course. A big thanks to Coursera and to the uiniversity of Michigan and also Jet blue and of course Mr.Mike Barger i love you! and you are an example of good communication and leadership. The videos you presented were super professional and i've learned more than just of what you said and taught us but also how you communicated and talked with us fellow students. Thank you!

By Dennis H

Jan 1, 2021

This course is really well presented and provides a solid foundation and understanding of crisis management. The only thing I disliked were the exercises where we had to rate the organization's or our own abilities in crisis management. This is especially subjective for participants who are not in executive positions and did not prove useful in my case. However, it is possible to skip these exercises.

By Sebastian A

Jan 13, 2021

In times of crisis, the character and personality of a leader must emerge and communicate through solutions. You must show leadership and not panic or despair. It is important that leaders can send a message to the work team that generates confidence and security, and with it reach the best solution and avoid any type of inconvenience to the organization.

By Syed M F

Nov 20, 2020

In a VUCA world crisis i imminent, this course gives insight about its type and way too navigate. It helped me to understand who are important during a crisis and build relation with them in long before a crisis. This course also helped me too create a typology and crisis response checklist (CRC) which is really valuable to prepare for a crisis.

By Matthew B

Aug 9, 2020

Even as a person who's managed hundreds of crises, this course further expanded my skills. I am very pleased to be more prepared. I also increased confidence through reflecting on my many crisis leadership experiences. This course gave me the opportunity to learn from the experiences of people around the globe, as well as to share my own.

By Sabrina B d C

Jan 31, 2021

Great, great, simply great course. Content, Presentation, Speed, Professor. I am so happy I have found and accomplished this course. It is of high quality and close to real life examples with very updated sources. Really, Prof. Barger: Accomplishments to this course. I will follow up with University of Michigan for sure.

By John N

Dec 13, 2020

I've learned many lessons(both theoretical and practical) that have helped me gain a better understanding of the crisis perspective from different stakeholders. Not only that, I also learned the qualities of what a leader should have.

By Samantha G