Back to High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis by University of Michigan

This course has been designed to help leaders, like you, learn how to effectively navigate the challenges of significant organizational disruptions. As a participant in this course, you’ll discover why an understanding of various stakeholder perspectives can inform and dramatically improve a leader’s response to events that threaten an organization’s very survival. This course is also about understanding and developing individual and organizational resilience—the ability to anticipate potential threats; to cope effectively with adverse events when they occur; and to adapt to changing conditions, ensuring a viable path forward for yourself, your team, and your organization. These topics are particularly relevant in the wake of the global COVID-19 pandemic. Many course examples will reference lessons leaders around the world have learned during this far-reaching healthcare crisis. During the eight course modules, which are distributed over four weeks, participants will explore topics such as: Why the VUCA world is making crises more common; Characteristics of resilient organizations and ways to increase resilience; Stakeholder value propositions and how these are threatened during a crisis; Organizing frameworks for estimating the types of crises an organization might encounter; the Unique and challenging nature of the crisis environment; the Fundamentals of crisis leadership; and Building a plan to prepare yourself, your team, and your organization for your next major crisis—which, in today’s world, is not so much an “if”, as a “when”. Professor Mike Barger, your faculty member for this course, has served as a TOPGUN instructor in the United States Navy and as a founder and executive at JetBlue Airways. His professional experience has helped him learn a great deal about crisis leadership and to gain a true sense of what it means to be resilient. Throughout the course, Professor Barger will draw upon many practical examples that will make the content of this course easy to appreciate, understand, and translate into practical lessons that you will be able to apply immediately at your organization. Crisis leadership is a topic that’s exciting, daunting, and almost impossible to master. With some time and effort over the four weeks of the course, however, you can develop an exceptional set of crisis-leadership tools that will serve you well throughout your professional career....

SG

Oct 16, 2020

This course exceeded all of my expectations and was extremely valuable, even after a decade and a half of crisis communications work. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the topic.

JM

Oct 06, 2020

Excellent course and the materials. I have learned a lot of new things from this course and it will help me a lot to transform the same in my organization.

1 - 25 of 33 Reviews for High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis

By David G

Aug 05, 2020

Great Course

By Dewal S

Sep 10, 2020

Brilliant course....I really enjoyed this course!!! Course material was brilliant..... Excellent videos, Informative readings, Great quizes. Prof Mike Barger explains each concept so well that even if one is new to the topic or one has little Intention of learning, he/she will have no option but to imbibe the concepts fully. I really appreciate the genuine effort in formulating this course for online learners. Thanks a ton Prof Mike Barger, University of Michigan, Coursera, & Class Central.

By VASILIKI B

Aug 25, 2020

This was an excellent course. I loved the videos and all the course material. The concepts and examples provided by Professor Barger were very easy to comprehend. The course includes practical advice that we can take back to our organizations right away and stir the water for some improvements

By Swadesh K N

Aug 22, 2020

The best course I ever opted for....thank you Mike sir for your efforts...I really feel connected with the course...

By Lori G

Aug 12, 2020

Great course and totally updated to address high stakes leadership and crisis management during Covid 19.

By Rachel T

Sep 07, 2020

Great class, great instructor and excellent content. You cannot afford not to take this class!

By Redvers F C

Sep 01, 2020

An absolutely brilliant course that was extremely informative and very enjoyable to study

By Lu M

Sep 15, 2020

A good course on crisis leadership and crisis management.

By Amusan E

Sep 05, 2020

Best course and we'll explained explanation 😃

By Nelson M

Sep 05, 2020

Excellent!

By Mona A A

Jun 20, 2020

GOOD

By Egor S

Oct 18, 2020

Brilliant teaching, excellent examples, wonderful practical training! Great course, thank you, professor, for this opportunity. Up-to-date topic and relevant practical examples, I've learned from this on-line course much more, then at other similar courses in auditoriums in Russia, Germany and Sweden. And of course, thank you Coursera for opportunity to study for free! Now , in this difficult Corona-crisis times, it's essentially important. I promise to use knowledge I've got at this our course, to help myself and others. Thank you for this course! Egor Sonin - Moscow, Russia, Berlin, Germany, Stockholm, Sweden.

By Matthew B

Aug 09, 2020

Even as a person who's managed hundreds of crises, this course further expanded my skills. I am very pleased to be more prepared. I also increased confidence through reflecting on my many crisis leadership experiences. This course gave me the opportunity to learn from the experiences of people around the globe, as well as to share my own.

By Samantha G

Oct 16, 2020

By Jamil M

Oct 06, 2020

By Naresh b

Aug 14, 2020

thank you so much to coursera and the resource person of University of Michigan. The course was excellent with useful content. Thanks again.

By Katherine B

Sep 16, 2020

Fantastic course to develop your leadership crisis management skills and understand the rationale behind decision-making in an organization

By Daniel R B

Sep 27, 2020

Highly recommended. Crises could happen any moment. The best time prepare for the unexpected is now... starting with this course.

By Carson L

Sep 20, 2020

Relevant to all organizations in a world growing in complexity. Material well delivered and comprehensive. Highly recommended!

By Tom J

Sep 27, 2020

I'm going to encourage my team to take this course.

By Karsten M