Back to Introduction to HTML5

Introduction to HTML5, University of Michigan

About this Course

Thanks to a growing number of software programs, it seems as if anyone can make a webpage. But what if you actually want to understand how the page was created? There are great textbooks and online resources for learning web design, but most of those resources require some background knowledge. This course is designed to help the novice who wants to gain confidence and knowledge. We will explore the theory (what actually happens when you click on a link on a webpage?), the practical (what do I need to know to make my own page?), and the overlooked (I have a page, what do I do now?). Throughout the course there will be a strong emphasis on adhering to syntactic standards for validation and semantic standards to promote wide accessibility for users with disabilities. The textbook we use is available online, “The Missing Link: An Introduction to Web Development and Programming” by Michael Mendez from www.opensuny.org. This course will appeal to a wide variety of people, but specifically those who would like a step-by-step description of the basics. There are no prerequisites for this course and it is assumed that students have no prior programming skills or IT experience. The course will culminate in a small final project that will require the completion of a very simple page with links and images. The focus of this course is on the basics, not appearance. You can see a sample final page at http://intro-webdesign.com/html5-plain.html. This is the first course in the Web Design For Everybody specialization. Subsequent courses focus on the marketable skills of styling the page with CSS3, adding interactivity with JavaScript and enhancing the styling with responsive design. You can see a sample site for the capstone course at http://intro-webdesign.com/...

By AB

Sep 27, 2017

I really enjoyed everything about this course. I thought the exercises/quizzes were fair and the instructor showed me many things that will serve me well going forward. Great course, great instructor!

By CR

Jan 31, 2016

Exceptional course, taught by a friendly, talented teacher. Perfect introduction to HTML. While the course seems to be still under development (there is the odd typo or the like) it's a great start.

1,813 Reviews

By Seumas Robinson

Mar 18, 2019

I enjoyed this course. I had absolutly no experience before taking this course and I found it has given me the basics.

Too many typos in the tests though.

By Nilesh Hazra

Mar 15, 2019

I believe this is really a great course for someone who wants to start from the very basics of Web Development. Each and every basic things are taught in order to strengthen the fundamentals of HTML. I truly enjoyed the course and learned a lot from it.

By Siddhanth Nath

very good

By Vitaly Pankratov

Mar 15, 2019

Really great course ! All you need to know to start is here.

By Cristiano Marques Dos Santos

Mar 13, 2019

um excelente curso com uma professora prá lá de cobradora. recomendo a todos o curso HTML5 pela Universidade de Michigan, eles tem otimos profissionais. EU PASSEIIIIIIIIIIII

By Virginia Porter

Mar 08, 2019

Great starter course for entry level coders! Easy to follow and gave me the confidence to explore further.

By Claudio Nicolás Rivas Hein

Mar 07, 2019

(sorry my english) Maybe it would be cool to have more excercises on each video. I don't mean quizzes, i refer to more HTML5 practicse exercises like the final proyect. Well, that was just a suggest... the rest of the course is 5/5.

By Ayush Kumar

*Builds great foundation

*Easy to Understand

By Christopher Ince

Mar 06, 2019

Broken down and explained very well and in a way I feel is a perfect introduction to web design

By Deleted Account