Back to Public Health in Humanitarian Crises

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises by Johns Hopkins University

This course introduces a set of public health problems experienced by people affected by natural disasters and/or conflict. It discusses the many changes in people’s lives when they are uprooted by a disaster, ranging from changes in disease patterns, access to health care, livelihoods, shelter, sanitary conditions, nutritional status, etc. We will explore what humanitarian interventions could look like if we want to mitigate the effects of disasters. The course content is a mix of theoretical knowledge and many practical examples from recent disasters. We think this course is unique because it contains so many practical ‘real-life’ examples and is taught be instructors and guest lecturers who together have over 200 years of experience in this field. The course consists of 10 modules totaling approximately 9-10 hours of delivered content with an additional 2-3 hours of self-work (quizzes and writing and evaluating a short peer-review assignment) as well as lively discussions forums. The course has been designed in a way that each module builds on the lessons of previous modules. However, modules can be accessed in any order and some can stand alone. You do not have to pay for this course if you choose to enroll without a certificate. Sometimes referred to as auditing, enrolling without a certificate means that you will have access to all of the videos, quizzes, assignments, and discussions. The only difference is that you will not receive a certificate upon completion. Click the Enroll Without A Certificate link to sign up and begin the course. Even if you enroll in a session that has yet to begin, you may access most of the course materials right away by clicking the Preview Course Materials link. However, you will have to wait for the session to begin before posting on the discussion forum or accessing the final peer-reviewed assessment. Visit the Learner Help Center for details about session schedules....

JM

Jun 21, 2018

Very valuable course for people new to health, but not new to humanitarian work. Highly recommended for those interested in learning more about public health in humanitarian crises!

AB

Mar 28, 2018

this course was exceptional, well prepared, every module have clear and achievable objective, the presentation was excellence according to quality of the video and the content

1 - 25 of 66 Reviews for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises

By Morteza

May 11, 2019

The course opened my eye to see heath is not only treat a patient but also consider people.

By Josue D S C

Dec 04, 2018

excellent

By Lujain B

Jan 26, 2019

Well informative and very enjoyable!

By brian n

Jan 18, 2019

Very good Caurse

By Billy F G

Jan 18, 2019

this is a brilliant course so reach in its content

By Chinedu O

Feb 11, 2019

It was detailed but not too difficult to follow. It gets you thinking about the issues that we face presently in the world and shows you was to apply your classroom learning to real life situations. I am glad I took the course.

By Nefti-Eboni B

Feb 26, 2019

Great course, really helped me learn a lot about public health in the humanitarian context

By ALI A A

Mar 15, 2019

Very useful and informative course, with highly experienced trainers and interesting educational style

Aug 23, 2018

I have enjoyed the course bery much. The methodology is clear, interactive. I have learned a lot of new information, usefull for my job! Super!

By BINTU M M O

Aug 27, 2018

C'est une base solide pour ma carrière dans le monde humanitaire

By Ayobami S Y

Oct 10, 2018

Designed for learning!

By Haroon T

Oct 23, 2018

This is best course i have ever taken.

By Francesca A

Nov 01, 2018

Well structured and interesting content!

Highly recommended for inexperienced humanitarian workers.

Wish we could have more materials to read and deepen our knowledge on these topics! I would have liked to learn more.

By Neeraj B

Apr 02, 2018

An excellent introduction to the issues and challenges relating to Public Health in Humanitarian Crises. Taught in a systematic manner.

By Chris J

Nov 13, 2017

Found this course to be both thought provoking and challenging. Valued the depth of the content presented and the opportunity to explore the interaction of many factors that impact health during and post disasters.

By Abu S M S

Nov 11, 2017

To me the course has designed in such a way that it is suitable for any person to get a basic understanding on the complexity to respond a humanitarian crisis. Professor Gilbert, Professor Spiegel, Professor Ververs, Professor Robert and Ms Jana Mason have made the course interesting, entertaining and they have engaged me with practical experiences which helped me to understand or conceptualize the complex issues around Humanitarian Crisis. I am glad that I have got the opportunity to go through the course and I feel I have had a solid foundation on the basic problems during humanitarian crisis and how I can put myself

By Julie M

Jun 21, 2018

By Woody M C

Apr 02, 2018

An excellent course to help one to understand and address public health issues in humanitarian crises.

By Chioma M O

May 17, 2018

Informative, insightful and useful for those involved in public health assistance in fragile environments.

By Paul S

Jun 29, 2017

I'm impressed, but I'm biased!

By Ayoub A

May 11, 2018

Good course, I liked the smooth division of the topics and the lectures simple and comprehensive way in tackling different public health matters, giving related examples from ongoing crisis and lesson learned from past crises.

By Abdifatah B

Mar 28, 2018

By Besong E O C

Aug 11, 2017

Rewarding

By Coulibaly Z

Aug 21, 2017

Great course on Humanitarian Health, congratulations.

By SHRIPAD

Nov 13, 2017

Excellent course. Very comprehensive, provides all aspects.