Back to Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1 by Johns Hopkins University

This course, Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1, introduces discussions about the public health approach to problems experienced by people affected by disasters, both natural and related to conflict. The course discusses the many changes which occur in people’s lives when they are uprooted by a disaster, ranging from changes in disease patterns, access to health care, livelihoods, shelter, sanitary conditions, nutritional status, etceteras. We will explore what humanitarian interventions could look like if we want to mitigate the effects of disasters. The course content is a mix of theoretical knowledge and many practical examples from recent disasters. We think this course is unique because it contains so many practical ‘real-life’ examples and is taught by instructors and guest lecturers who together have over 200 years of experience in this field. The course consists of 10 modules totaling approximately 9-10 hours of delivered content with an additional 2-3 hours of self-work (quizzes and writing and evaluating a short peer-review assignment) as well as lively discussions forums. The course has been designed in a way that each module builds on the lessons of previous modules. However, you may do the modules in any order and some can be done separately. You do not have to pay for this course if you choose to enroll without a certificate. Sometimes referred to as auditing, enrolling without a certificate means that you will have access to all of the videos, quizzes, assignments, and discussions. The only difference is that you will not receive a certificate upon completion. Click the Enroll Without a Certificate link to sign up and begin the course. Even if you enroll in a session that has yet to begin, you may access most of the course materials right away by clicking the Preview Course Materials link. However, you will have to wait for the session to begin before posting your comments on the discussion forum or accessing the final peer-reviewed assessment. Visit the Learner Help Center for details about session schedules. If you want to learn more, there is a second course which follows this one entitled, Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 2. We welcome you to take this. The course has a similar set-up and discusses additional topics, such as infectious disease outbreaks, disease epidemiology, maternal and newborn health, mental health, humanitarian project design, humanitarian principles, and many other topics....

AM

Feb 06, 2020

It was a totally new domain for me to learn, Very informative and very very well articulated. Even a person like me who knew almost nothing about it, is now interested in working in it. Thanks a lot.

AO

Apr 28, 2020

I have earned very good and valuable knowledge that refresh and improved my career level one step forward,\n\nthank you very much for every single one how worked hard to produce this great course.

1 - 25 of 113 Reviews for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1

By Julie M

Jun 21, 2018

Very valuable course for people new to health, but not new to humanitarian work. Highly recommended for those interested in learning more about public health in humanitarian crises!

By Abdifatah B

Mar 28, 2018

this course was exceptional, well prepared, every module have clear and achievable objective, the presentation was excellence according to quality of the video and the content

By Tofail A

Aug 30, 2019

I am honestly happy to get this opportunity to learn the Public Health in Humanitarian Crises from the world pioneer university. Just right for me as a humanitarian worker.

By Jolanta G

Aug 08, 2017

This is one of the wonderful courses, which explains a lot of unanswered questions . I would highly recommend to everyone who dreams about the peace in the world...

By Morteza

May 11, 2019

The course opened my eye to see heath is not only treat a patient but also consider people.

By Wasswa A T

Aug 08, 2020

The course was every informative and educative. The structure and lay out was phenomenon. The instructors were excellent and have got an enormous amount of experience with humanitarian crisis management. They provided live examples they encountered during their work.

By Nifemi O

May 02, 2020

I had a great time studying this course. I've learnt so much about disease outbreak, livelihood, malnutrition and how to combat these situations. As a graduate of Human nutrition and dietetics, I have been blessed!

I'm going to the next course. Thank you!

By Anna R

Jan 03, 2018

Very interesting

By Md. Z R

May 04, 2018

Excellent.

By Abu S M S

Nov 11, 2017

To me the course has designed in such a way that it is suitable for any person to get a basic understanding on the complexity to respond a humanitarian crisis. Professor Gilbert, Professor Spiegel, Professor Ververs, Professor Robert and Ms Jana Mason have made the course interesting, entertaining and they have engaged me with practical experiences which helped me to understand or conceptualize the complex issues around Humanitarian Crisis. I am glad that I have got the opportunity to go through the course and I feel I have had a solid foundation on the basic problems during humanitarian crisis and how I can put myself

By Arnab M

Apr 27, 2020

It was indeed a privilege to learn about Public Health in Humanitarian Crises-1 from the renowned John Hopkins University. PHHC addressed the broad issues that can affect the public health and healthcare system during a disaster and how as a public health professional we need to handle the situation. This course provided a solid foundation on issues that impact the population health and healthcare system during an emergency. I am now pursuing Public Health in Humanitarian Crises-2 for because I am confident that this learnings will help me to redefine my work.

Thanks to John Hopkins Team and Coursera.

By Gerbert

Jun 05, 2020

Being International Civil Servant, I had a privilege on working on various projects for countries in emergency situations. For me the course is a great Opportunity to learn and strengthen my knowledge in the field. Many things I was doing without better knowledge, now with what I learned through the course, I will be more efficient on work.

Really appreciate the Lecturers, they have done a great work. Thanks

By raya a

Jul 26, 2017

This is the course for everyone interested in the humanitarian field or for professionals looking to refresh their information. The content is very rich, well structured, evidence-based as well as visionary. I benefited a lot despite my years of working in this field, and I am looking forward to other insightful courses in the near future. Thank you

By KABERA R

Dec 22, 2017

As a humanitarian clinician ,learning some public health aspects is worthy and has helped me to understand so many issues related to my current work in the field.

Eg: The clinical care is for individual or person interests and the public heath approach is for the population interest in general.

By Tommy G

Jun 11, 2019

Excellent course! It allowed me to increase my understanding in public health measures for humanitarian crises and disasters. The teachers are very knowledgeable about the field and the information they provide was excellent to continue my education in the healthcare field. God Bless You All!

By JOSEFINA J

May 02, 2018

This course helps in the understanding & identifying humanitarian crises and the role of public health care managers. I think it accomplished its goals and objectives of imparting and sharing that knowledge to create experiences. Very good job; Mija Ververs and Dr. Gilbert Burnham!

By Sergio C

May 03, 2020

It is a very fluid course, that provides a rich and articulated overview of the main areas of intervention in humanitarian crisis and with descriptions about the methodologies and approaches needed to conduct meaningful assessments and analysis.

By Nad O

Feb 11, 2019

It was detailed but not too difficult to follow. It gets you thinking about the issues that we face presently in the world and shows you was to apply your classroom learning to real life situations. I am glad I took the course.

By Ayoub A

May 11, 2018

Good course, I liked the smooth division of the topics and the lectures simple and comprehensive way in tackling different public health matters, giving related examples from ongoing crisis and lesson learned from past crises.

By Michael E

Dec 04, 2017

The course is an eye opener to diverse health conditions associated with humanitarian crisis. Of particular interest is the understanding that these conditions or challenges are not just limited to communicable diseases.

By Francesca A

Nov 01, 2018

Well structured and interesting content!

Highly recommended for inexperienced humanitarian workers.

Wish we could have more materials to read and deepen our knowledge on these topics! I would have liked to learn more.

By Chris J

Nov 13, 2017

Found this course to be both thought provoking and challenging. Valued the depth of the content presented and the opportunity to explore the interaction of many factors that impact health during and post disasters.

By Promise M

Sep 24, 2020

This is great course that is grounded on several years of practical experiences amongst the course presenters. I have learnt a lot and hopefully will use some of the skills learnt here to better serve humanity.

By rebecca j

Dec 21, 2019

great content! I learned so much. This class has helped me to decide that Global Health is something that I am truly passionate about and want to continue my education in this field. Thank you so much for this!

By Mohamed A H

Sep 24, 2020

this course is very useful it gives me a lot of hints and practical experience in public health in a humanitarian crisis, I say many thanks with John Hopkins staff who delivered and prepared the course.