Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

LM
Oct 31, 2020

so grateful for the experience and the opportunity. I am richer for having participated. I am not interested in learning more about the indigenous people that lived/live in my area of the PNW (Oregon)

ER
Nov 2, 2020

I'm so pleased to have been able to educated myself further on the true history of "Canada", what should have stayed Turtle Island. Being able to continue my learning and hopefully being a better ally

151 - 175 of 2,621 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Judy J

Apr 23, 2017

I loved that this course offered WRITTEN and VIDEO lessons. I find it difficult to learn by just watching a video. By doing some of the learning by reading and re-reading, I absorbed more.

Quizes are also another modality that works well. Quick to do, easy to score, inexpensive to administer, both teacher and learner can assess student learning very quickly.

I wish all Coursera programs included more than one methodology for learning. Video is fine, but it isn't the best for everyone, and it isn't the only way to teach things. Many Coursera program rely too heavily on video as their only teaching tool. There are something like 12 or 14 modalities for teaching students. Thank you for using more than one way. I especially liked your reading materials.

By Ashton G

Sep 22, 2020

The course was fantastic to be a part of. I enjoyed every lecture, I really enjoyed the layout and the options given (you can read the lecture as it is being presented on screen, and there are course reading notes that really helped me). I think the quizzes may need some re-wording on some questions as they can be confusing and appear irrelevant to helping the student understand the content. But other than that, everything was perfect and I am very grateful and honoured to be able to take this course and learn about Indigenous past and present in Canada. This course is now a gateway for me to be able to learn even more because I know a little more about where to look and I have under my toolbelt some proper perspective to the issues at hand today.

By Keshav D K

Sep 8, 2020

Having recently come to Canada from India, a similarly brutalized and colonized society, and having today’s Canadians have totally incorrect views about India encouraged me to take this course. It was worth every penny.

Apart from understanding the reasons why Aboriginal Canadians were called “Indian”, it removed from my mind, misconceptions and European cultural power imposed prejudice against Aboriginals.

Strange as this may sound, I recommend this course to all Indians, to understand what was done to India over a period of 300 years. A very similar time period to the colonization in Canada.

I thank Dr. Tracy Bear for her hard work to put this course together and would request her to add in more Canadian Aboriginal vocabulary into the course.

By Ashley B

Aug 27, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and the learning experiences that it provided. I felt it did a very good job of covering the past and present issues, as well as explain the diverse and unique views\experiences of the different indigenous groups across Canada. If I had one critic of the course - I felt like some of the multiple choice questions were sometimes difficult to answer (some wanted very specific answers that were very detailed; others were very vague or complex in which I felt several answers could be considered; and a lot of questions phrased as negatives "which does not apply" or sometimes different vocabulary (i.e names that may be used Mohawk or Kanesatake ) or the use of acronyms (ie MMIW).

Thank you for providing this course.

By Julia L

Oct 12, 2020

This course was a great introduction that provided thoughtful insight into Indigenous Canada and the experience of Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

As a person of European descent I felt it was my duty to learn about the experiences of the people who came before me - this course did just that. I am honoured to be living in a place that has roots of hard-work, love and a focus on evolving.

The instructors were clear and made the course very interesting. This being my first experience with The University of Alberta and Coursera, I really enjoyed the video/visual element. This course was definitely designed for the modern learner as it embodied multiple ways of learning (audio/visual/written/academic/personal experience).

5/5 Stars - Thank you!

By Kery S

Nov 7, 2020

I am not of Indigenous decent, though the history of the Nation we live in has been of great interest to me. I jumped at the opportunity to take this course. Not only to educate myself on the history of Aboriginal peoples, but to better enable myself in educating my child. I am a homeschool parent, and have been for many years. I believe that education has no expiry date. So, as a mother , and woman of over 40 years of age, I felt the need to show my child, that education is always accessible. It is important, and available to all ages, all cultures, and people. I am grateful to The University of Alberta, and The faculty of Native Studies, for making this course so accessible, informative, and interesting. Thank you, Kery Samardzija

By Sharon K

Nov 3, 2020

This course has been the most wonderful and important experience for me!

The modules were designed logically, building blocks to the end. The videos, interrupted occasionally with a surprise mini-quiz, kept me on my toes. I learned so much more than later had throughout my life and as well, from the Sunday afternoon Sunday casual study group organized by Dan Levy. Dan’s total honesty was refreshing and encouraging. We must confront our shame and sense of responsibility. Thank you so much Dr. Tracy Bear, Dr. Paul Gareau, Sara Howdle, Leah Dorion, video presenters and guest professors at the Sunday sessions. You have all gifted us with your personal time. Dan Levy, you are a very special soul. Forever grateful

Sharon Kirkham, Toronto

By Angelique D

Sep 6, 2020

Thank you so much. This course has given me the best history lesson I could have hoped for. I knew some things about Indigenous history before I enrolled but I have to say that my eyes have been opened to so much more. The lectures were interesting, engaging, thought-provoking, moving, and they have inspired me to continue with my learning. Your course has raised my awareness of the deeper roots of issues that underlie what concerns Indigenous peoples today (and of environmental issues that should be of concern to everyone). I wish this was how history was taught when I was still in school. As an educator, I hope it is how history will be taught in schools from now on. Again, thank you for this beautiful, amazing course.

By Zuzana S

Aug 18, 2020

Thank you very much for this course. I am an immigrant and have been living in Canada for 15 years. I studied at a local university and nowhere over the span of 15 years I've received a fraction of this important information. I had to study for and pass the Canadian Citizenship test - I would say the study book and the content of the citizenship test would deserve a serious revision to include "all" and not just partial information. To express my gratitude for this course I would like to say thank you for informing me, inspiring me, and motivating me to learn more. Since I've been taking this course I searched and purchased books by indigenous authors. I became a fan of "Unreserved" CBC program and much more. Thank you again.

By Linda H

Sep 19, 2020

I very much appreciated the teachings in this course. It was informative, as a Canadian, for me to understand the colonization of these lands and the effect it has had on the Indigenous communities. It also frustrates me to know that a lot of this has been and is happening and that the education system (particularly as I grew up) didn't teach any of this - it was, and is, happening "on my watch"!

The resilience of the first peoples here, their culture(s) and activism are inspiring, individually and collectively, and I resonate with the systemic injustice that has been demonstrated in this course. I am more aware.

Thank you for this . It has made me a bit less ignorant of the lands and peoples where I was born and raised.

By Monika V

Jul 2, 2020

I am internationally educated and had a strong desire to learn about Indigenous culture. Finding this course online is really helpful. Moreover, it is flexible and nicely delivered. I just carefully heard the instructors and enjoyed it while learning. Though at times, I felt a very narrow margin in quiz so far the questions are concerned still in case , I couldn't clear the quiz in 2 or 3 times , it was again thrilling to go over and over again.

I humbly thank Tracy Bear and her team for their perseverance and doing their job so beautifully. I really appreciate Leah's paintings and the way she depicted all shades of indigenous lstruggles against colonism with the help of symbols. Her paintings are really telling a tale!

By Barbara C

Nov 15, 2020

I loved this course. Besides giving me the possibility to approach a subject I did know little about, it inspired me to go on and search for more information about Indigenous Canada. I liked also the structure of the course, with readings, videos, interviews and the beautiful paintings. Thanks to the teachers and their narratives it was easy to follow. I hope in the future there will be more courses on Indigenous in Canada and North America, that will go deeper into the diversity of the indigenous populations, their culture and uses, their worldviews. Expecially now that we face the consequences of climate change, we should look more and learn from the indigenous perspective on our planet and the universe we live in.

By Amber E

Nov 2, 2020

It was very interesting and educating. I enjoyed the intro music to each session and having the printed notes. It took pressure off pausing the video and taking notes. I live in the PNW of the US and while this is based for Canada, I have noticed quite a bit of relevance to this course. In reading the signs and notes at various spots in our area. The information was there all along, but I never understood the information and the relevance so it's been awesome to see it in my everyday life. The information and relevance has been there all along, but it was never presented to us this way in our education system so I'm grateful for the information in this course and would be interested in other courses like it.

By Sarah L

Oct 26, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and while I realize that this is the tip of the iceberg, it was a great introduction and has given me a few things to investigate further. I did want to point out too (sorry) that in the final lesson, there were a couple of inconsistencies - Enspanola, Sask in the reading material is Espanola, Ontario in the video, Calgary Winter Olympics of 1986 in reading and 1988 on video, and Rebecca's Belmore's "Fringe" in reading materials and "Trace" on video. Thank you so much for providing this course free of charge. It really was a privilidge. My first baby-sitter (also my best friend's mom) is a Residential School Survivor so I found that topic especially interesting. Thanks again.

By Kenneth R

Nov 8, 2020

Was recommended the course as the pandemic and BLM movement surged fourth. I was very little but I remember the Oka Crisis, Ipperwash, and several other events of the past. I know now that the unfair privilege colonization provided allowed for a one-sided narrative. The narrative back then was given a colonial lens that I saw on TV through the news - completely distant from that world and the so very wrongful death of Dudley George. I know better now, and know to whom to listen and who the true teachers are.

I would like to thank Dr. Tracey Bear and the rest of the staff for making this course very accessible, and one I shall recommend as - not the end - but the beginning of learning. Eternally, thank you.

By Greg O

Jul 22, 2020

Extremely beneficial for all people living in what we currently call Canada. An introduction into the history, present and future of Indigenous nations here with many interesting and relevant pieces of information that we all should know and should inform our actions. Could have benefited slightly from a deeper exploration of two-spirit and gender diverse histories and modern efforts, particularly for recognition within colonial LGBTQ+ structures and liberation efforts, however I recognize the limitations of such a short course for such a broad and diversified history. Thank you to all contributors to this course, and to the unnamed individuals who have made the availability of this information possible.

By Karina A

Aug 7, 2020

Great Course, good content. As an older Canadian who attended school in the 60/70's I am surprised at how my education was lacking in honest content, I am further shocked at how legislation in the past and fairly current continues to discriminate esp relating to gender. I thought I was aware of injustices but clearly did not have the breadth of knowledge of the impacts of business, church, and state. My thanks for the education.

The grammar, spelling and inconsistencies in written content and spoken content are distracting. There is an implication on a lack of attention and value of this program that a couple of hours of an editor could correct. It reflects badly on the University of Alberta.

By Somewhere i N A

Nov 6, 2020

I appreciated this course very much. I wanted to gain better insight on the important issues affecting Indigenous people in Canada and this course provided me with a good general knowledge of both historical and modern issues. I acknowledge the difficulty one must have in designing a short 12 week course that aims to capture such a broad range of topics. I enjoyed the lectures and can say with certainty that this course has given me a much better understanding of Indigenous peoples in Canada. I would recommend this course to anyone with an open mind and an interest in learning more about Indigenous culture, history and other related topics. Thank you for making this course available on Coursera!

By Erin P

Sep 19, 2018

This course should be mandatory for every person in Canada - as a descendent of a family affected deeply by the 60s Scoop, this has helped me understand my family's history and reason's why it was hidden - to try to keep their children from being taken. Without true understanding of the genocide that is still taking place in our country, and the systemic push to keep FNMI people(s) quiet and to assimilate them, how can anyone begin to have empathy and to disappear many of the commonly heard myths about FNMI people(s)? I believe this course is essential to our history and should be taught in all schools, be a requirement for newcomers, and anyone enrolled in any post-secondary academy. Thank you.

By Doug F

Nov 6, 2020

This was an amazing course and has inspired me, on many levels, to learn more about Canada's darker past. A past that, now unsurprisingly, was rarely mentioned in my schooling from 1964 to 2003.

I could write 10,000 words covering the revelations, the pain, the anger, the sadness, the shock and the joy that taking the course brought forth but instead I'll finish with my most important conclusion. I now understand that I have more in common with my Indigenous sisters and brothers than I do with the federal government of Canada. An ancient and outdated organization that, through the lens of deep time, have proven to be nothing more than the security apparatus of Canada's extractive industries.

By Crystal M

Nov 5, 2020

Incredibly informative and life changing for me. I finally learned at 50 years old the ACTUAL history of our country which is not taught in our public school system - that needs to change. I also learned that 150+ years later we have such a long ways to go in our endeavour to understand and truly honour the incredibly knowledgeable First People; the true caretakers of this land. As a country, we could benefit so much by incorporating traditional Indigenous knowledge and world views into our current governance thereby creating a true partnership as we lived together harmoniously.

Thank you SO much for this opportunity. It is a huge honour for me to have been a part of this fantastic course.

By Susan M S

Nov 15, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. There were some issues I was aware of but I gained a deeper knowledge. There were also a lot of issues I was unaware of and am glad that I have a better understanding of Indigenous life in Canada. The speakers were all easy to understand and conveyed passion about the topics. I have talked about this course and recommended it to other people. Being non-Indigenous, it is horrifying to think that my ancestors received dominion land grants when they moved to Canada from the US. However, it’s really no different than the land I currently live on in the city. There is so much to be done to correct the injustices committed and education is a starting point.

By Sandy M

Nov 20, 2020

Such a combination of reactions to this course: anger, sadness, guilt towards my own ignorance. And yet, I acknowledge with pride, the resilience over hundreds of years by my Indigenous neighbours. Incorporating a comissioned painting for each module is brilliant and very visually telling. I confess still not understanding some of the tragic behaviours today of substance abuse, poverty and the 'appearance' of not being responsible for one's place in overall society, and one's contribution to bettering community. However, the history of oppression is deep. And, I acknowledge this does not occur within Indigenous communties alone. I will be promoting this course, and I thank you.

By Susie M

Oct 21, 2020

The course is wonderful. So much information presented, so much surprising to a non-Indigenous person. (And alarming and disheartening as well, to hear the details about Residential Schools. This horrible era should not have happened and I am so sorry.)

The hosts and accompanying text make learning enjoyable and easy, and the wonderful artwork by Leah Dorion adds extra depth to each week.

I now have a new perspective on Indigenous living in Canada. In coincidence, lectures applied to disturbing activities today on the East Coast and elsewhere, where Treaty rights are being trampled. Thank you for opportunity to learn and to open my eyes to new ideas about Indigenous peoples in Canada.

By Lisa T

Sep 19, 2020

I took this course on the recommendation of Dan Levy from Schitt's Creek! I thought it would be an excellent way to learn about a past I was never taught. It was that, and so much more! I learned that in order for me to fully understand the present, that I had to understand the past. I learned more than I thought I would and while I am heartbroken by the tragedies that have happened since the Colonizers arrived; I am happy with the resilience and the re-teaching and reclaiming of Indigenous culture. Thank you so much for this wonderful learning opportunity, I will continue to learn and grow in my quest for a greater understanding and appreciation of our rich Indigenous peoples.