Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

DN

Aug 31, 2020

This is a great survey course about Indigenous Canada. As a participant, I have learned and unlearned so much about Indigenous Canadians, and more important, this course has inspired me to learn more.

176 - 200 of 1,700 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Louise B

Oct 01, 2020

For me, this course on Indigenous Canada is just a beginning. I have learned so much and I definitely want to know more. In studying my country from a different perspective, I have felt every emotion. I have cried as my eyes were opened, have stood in awe of First Nations’ resiliency and have even laughed as I watched a satirical performance of the 1491’s. Book titles, Internet links and the names of various artists, writers, scholars and activists have given me enough resources to continue to “dig deeper, look closer, think bigger”. Thank you!

By Cathy B

Oct 14, 2020

Thank you so much for this course. I thought I understood somewhat but I really had no idea. I am ashamed to say that at 65 years old, I am just now learning of the real struggles of indigenous peoples brought on, not only by my direct ancestors but modern day people as well. I have thought a lot about the aspect of 'what can I do' but I guess educating myself and others is probably the best course of action. From that can grow educated input where appropriate in contributing to dialogue and reconciliation. I feel very ashamed of our history.

By Irina D

Feb 17, 2019

I absolutely love this course! I have learned so much! I feel like I knew nothing about the Indigenous Peoples prior to taking this course. I also feel that courses like this should be mandatory in all Canadian schools. It is very important to teach children about the Peoples whose lands we live on and about their culture and history. Big thank you for the creators of this course!!! I've enjoyed it very much - the format, the presentation style, the art, the music. I want to learn more and I hope to find more similar courses. Chi-miigwech!

By Paul H

Dec 24, 2017

Very informative and useful course, particularly given its Indigenous perspectives on the long, diverse and vibrant history and legacy of First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples in northern North America, as well as more recent and ongoing impact of European colonization and contemporary Canadian society. A very worthwhile endeavour especially for non-Indigenous people seeking to understand the truth and engage in this second opportunity to learn from and walk respectfully with Indigenous peoples and create together a better relationship.

By Kim R

Nov 10, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed learning and analyzing my self awareness on each of the modules. The course was able to connect the dots in my understanding of my own culture. I learned a great deal of information with regard to treaties and governance and even the Indian Act. I learned the history when a child but I enjoyed it much better from an indigenous perspective. I am grateful also to better know what our ancestors lived through to better understand Intergenerational trauma. I will continue to seek a greater way of being. Miigwech!

By Kenneth M

Sep 21, 2020

I truly appreciate the calm and factual presentation of both the beauty of indigenous culture and the painful truth of the ways in which settler behaviour has, and continues to, undermine, abuse, deny, and resist our duty to honour the peoples who hosted settlers and supported them, and upon whose land we travel together as treaty people. This has helped me to recognize that the presumed attributes of indigenous people that we whites find distasteful all find their source in colonization. Thank you for this mind-expanding presentation.

By Monica P

Aug 08, 2018

Highly recommended! I have always had a strong affinity with Indigenous worldview, culture and traditions, but taking this course was an amazing discovery experience! I just loved the integration between content and art, and Leah Dorion's paintings and explanations were very powerful! The new information I learned not only expanded my horizons but also increased my respect and admiration for Indigenous peoples. Thank you for the opportunity! I hope there will be other modules in the future, maybe one to discuss cultural appropriation?

By Alexandre C

Jun 06, 2017

This course thoughtfully covered a very challenging and broad subject. It introduced me to parts of Canadian history and the Indigenous experience that I did not know or understand prior to this course. I hope that additional courses will be organized to go more deeply into the issues introduced by this course - I would especially be interested in learning more about Indigenous land and natural resource management and rights. I would like to express a heartfelt thank you to the instructors and researchers who put this course together.

By Erin-Marie M

Jun 14, 2020

Huge thanks to everyone involved in creating this course and putting it out into the world. The modules are so well put together - they are deeply researched, and clearly structured and narrated. I greatly appreciate the inclusion of course notes, and all your references, so that I can continue to further my education. As someone born and raised on Treaty 7 land, everything I learned in this course is long overdue. I do hope this course can be used as a model for/inspires the revision of curriculum at all levels across the country.

By Heather W

Jul 30, 2020

I appreciated the progression of the material which helped to build an understanding of the roots and ongoing colonization of Indigenous people. Also the quizzes were hard enough to show whether I understood the material.

I feel like I have a deeper understanding of the complexity and richness of the world views of the Indigenous peoples that were represented in this course.

The art work was also an embodiment of the values of interconnectedness and storytelling.

Very worthwhile course and I am very grateful to have taken it.

By Katherine S

Oct 04, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I feel much more informed about indigenous history. I liked the way that some of the more recent recent issues were brought in such as "idle no more" etc. I am a bit of a reading buff so I appreciated the nods to Vine Deloria and Howard Adams but maybe you could put a bit more in the lesson 12 about current Canadian Indigenous authors. I really liked the paintings of Leah Dorian and her explanations. The quizzes are thought were fair and related to the course material well. Thanks and Best Wishes.

By Liyan D

Jun 07, 2019

Growing up in central and northern Alberta, I thought I had a pretty good idea of Indigenous history. I was wrong. This course has changed everything. For example, I now REALLY understand that I was born on Treaty 6 lands, and spent quite a few school years on Treaty 8 land. That reality matters and should be foremost in our minds. I also learned that there is another word for "Cree" and I had no idea that was the case. I now know that nehiyawak (lower case only) is a correct and respectful term. Everyone should take this course!

By Alison P

Oct 15, 2020

A great, comprehensive overview that should be required learning for all Canadians, particularly Settler Canadians. In learning in public schools in the 70s and 80s, the Indian Act, in particular, was 'romanticized' and presented as a positive development, when it was anything but. This was one of the major learnings I will take forward, in addition to understanding Indigenous 'ways of knowing', culture, art, governance and social structures. Thank you so much to the presenters and the University of Alberta for sponsoring this.

By Danielle J

Oct 04, 2020

Every single person in Canada should have to take this course! It has been so informative, I loved the artwork depicting and referencing the different themes of the course and all the archival footage. Thank you so much for offering this course and I will continue learning about and exploring many of the themes, politics, cultures and stories covered in the course. An excellent course for anyone wanting to deepen their understanding of issues and the 'narrative' around First Nations in Canada. Seriously, I really enjoyed it.

By Kayleigh K

Aug 22, 2020

Thank you so much for offering this course for free. The course was thorough while still being introductory, and the modules are easily organized and accessible, allowing all levels of learners to complete at their own pace and preference. The instructors and guest interviews were very informative and engaging. This course offers an enjoyable and meaningful online learning experience that every Canadian should participate in, as this is information that should be taught to all from a young age but is not. Highly recommended!

By Cynthia K S

Jul 01, 2020

Informative and Eye Opening

I took this course years after I completed a minor of Native American anthropology from the U of A (2002). Years have passed so it was nice to actually have the course taught by Indigenous people, instead of white anthropologists. I also had a stroke between the two times and the course was designed in such a way that I could re-learn the information and still manage to take the quizzes. It was good, up to date, hopeful, and makes me want to learn even more about Indigenous cultures. Thank you!

By Ann E S

Aug 20, 2020

So good! Every settler Canadian should have to take this course. As a new Canadian this was far more informative on the history of this land, pre- and post-contact, than any university course in Canadian history or government guide for the citizenship exam I've taken or read! Thank you so much for giving us such an excellent overview and I can't wait to take the opportunity to delve deeper into the intricacies touched on in the course and into the history and culture of the Mi'kmaq in the area of Canada I've settled in!

By Christopher M C

Aug 12, 2018

It was refreshing to take a course whose aim was to present the breadth of a major topic. It succeeded. Along the way, it probed the depth of several major subtopics and provided great resources for further exploration. I started taking notes in week 1, but soon put my pencil down, as few words were wasted in the lectures and it became clear that everything being said was important. I'm American and was searching for a course on Native Americans in the U.S. I found this one first and I'm glad I did - it was a treat!

By Emma B

Aug 20, 2020

This was an informative, engaging, and well-organised course, which I am very glad that I was able to participate in. The blend of lectures and reading was effective: I appreciated being able to listen, take virtual notes, and access the text for each unit. The visual art component for each unit was excellent. I would thoroughly recommend this course to people, whether fellow educators, Canadian residents, or those with interest simply in learning and understanding more about Canada. Thank you for this opportunity.

By Mary-Anne O

Oct 10, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this eye opening learning experience. We are so smug being Canadian, born in such an amazing country. However, learning the price that indigenous peoples paid so that Canada could become the “Best” country in the world is very humbling. I thank you from the bottom of my heart ♥️ for opening my eyes and my heart. I will recommend this course to everyone I know.

I absolutely love the live QnAs on Sunday’s and will continue watching them. I commend you all for your dedication and enthusiasm.

By Jennifer S

Aug 07, 2020

It is vital for Canadians to look carefully at all systemic racism in Canada, and not just that which is front page news. Our Indigenous communities are the original victims of our systemic racism and we need to do better. One way of doing better is knowing better. We can get closer to our Indigenous peoples by learning about them through their own representations, and not that of an education system directed by predominantly white scholars. This course is a generous start to learning, and I highly recommend it.

By Sharifa D R

Jun 18, 2018

This course was an amazing introductory course to Indigenous Worldview, Community, and History. The only way humanity can do better, is to educate themselves of failures and wrongdoings in the past. #preventhistoryfromrepeatingitself I hope this course acts as a staring point for people who want to know more about the Indigenous land we are inhabiting. As mentioned in the course there is much more knowledge to be learned, and I am sad the course was not longer. I Highly recommend this course to every Canadian!

By Gwendolyn F

Jun 05, 2017

Indigenous Canada Course has opened my understanding of the powers that be and the destruction this power had/has over so much.

How Indigenous people held on to their culture in various ways to continue into the present, traditionally with modern inclusion.

How the Aborigine in Australia have used the North America Indigenous/Aboriginal culture to parallel with theirs.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity of learning more of the cultures where I came from and gaining an appreciation for original "Canadians".

By Stefanie K

Jul 26, 2020

Not only were the instructors delivering the content in a spectacular way, but the voice-overs of chiefs, as well as the interviews with members of the community really put the entire course together. The history being told was such an eye-opener and helped to structure my support further for the Indigenous community. The interactive paintings at the end were so beautiful and well done, and it really shows the depth of history. I will begin to educate those around me with this authentic knowledge. Thank you!

By Kim R

Jun 03, 2017

This course was truly inspiring and eye-opening. Each and every Canadian should take this course in order to educate him or her to the complexities of Indigenous peoples' history and culture. As an educator for 30 years, I wish that I had been more knowledgeable of the struggles and history, so that I could have better taught my students. I hope that more courses such as the one you have provided will be made available, so that myself and others can further our studies. Thank you so much for this opportunity