Back to Speaking to inform: Discussing complex ideas with clear explanations and dynamic slides

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Speaking to inform: Discussing complex ideas with clear explanations and dynamic slides by University of Washington

In the professional realm, most speeches and presentations we give are informative in scope. A scientist needs to explain her recent research findings. A financial officer needs to report on quarterly earnings to his company’s board. A technology professional needs to educate a consumer about a new product. Any time you need to convey ideas or demonstrate a process, you’re dealing with informative speaking. Informative speaking is a fun puzzle. You need to think from the perspective of your audience to identify what they need to hear in order to understand the key ideas. How much does the audience already know? What are the most important elements to convey? How should one convey these ideas with appropriate breadth and depth given the time constraints of the speech? This demands a strategic approach to speech design that we’ll undertake in this class. By the end of the course, you should be able to explain complex ideas vividly and accessibly, design clear and compelling presentation slides, convey your passion for a topic while maintaining your professional credibility, and speak dynamically from notes and/or a manuscript. Learners will record speeches, providing and receiving peer feedback....

OS

May 03, 2020

Very informative and practical course.Very interesting and well structured course for building confident in public speaking and exercises are very interesting to keep learner on track.

JJ

Nov 14, 2017

Excellent lecture structure. The logical progression of the lessons made it easier to understand and grasp the key concepts of the course. I would recommend this course to everyone.

1 - 25 of 62 Reviews for Speaking to inform: Discussing complex ideas with clear explanations and dynamic slides

By Oleksandr T

Apr 17, 2017

Awesome course in Public Speaking from Dr. Matt McGarrity and same awesomeness level! This is the second course in this specialization out of four and I am going to finish them all.

I recommend this course to everyone regardless you activity, job and lifestyle!

By Susan K

Aug 03, 2017

This course taught me so much and helped me and my students, who are professors in Indonesia, get rid of some common bad habits. I've used this course as a component of a 3 week presentation workshop. The presentations this year are so much better than last due to these videos. I tossed aside the other materials because this course's videos outshone them.

By María L B M

Mar 03, 2020

I have learnt a lot from the teacher. Since he is a philosopher, he has got a lot af clarity in his explanations. Also, the summary at the end of each week is useful to retain some concepts. When it comes to the content, although I had some notions of communication and explanation, I learned a lot of techniques to make an argument easy to follow.

By Elizan S

Apr 23, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. Very practical. Dr McGarrity is professional and has a passion for public speaking which he shares with his students. I especially learnt a lot about slides and visuals to accompany your speech. Will be able to use this information in the future.

By Hammad N

Nov 23, 2018

This course was very informative. Lectures were recorded excellently. Respected Mr. Matt McGarrity Expressed his Good will and full knowledge about the course. I would recommend this course for anyone who wants to up their speaking Game.

By Omraj S

May 03, 2020

By Joseph B J

Nov 14, 2017

By vikas d a

Apr 27, 2020

Perfectly designed course for taking you to the next level in public speaking. Immensely added to the knowledge on designing a speech for the audience.

By Arinze U

Jun 24, 2017

Very informative course.

Matt McGarity is a very insightful and well-spoken teacher.

By RICARDO C B

Jul 16, 2020

Muy bueno, no me gusta hacer presentaciones en Ingles.. Pero ni modo gracias...

By Julie W C

Audited course, but learned a lot. Great information, suggestions and examples.

By Dina M

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent¡ I learned and practice several advice provided in this course.

By Tamara C Q

Aug 14, 2020

Great course. Thanks a lot for all the important information.

By Narzillo Z

Sep 04, 2020

I have learned how to make good spech . Thanks to coursera!

By OKEKE G

Aug 19, 2020

The course is very helpful. I can now speak in a simple, logical and understandable manner and learners/listener can now enjoy to listen to me and get value as well. Thank you Dr. Matt McGarrity. You are good at what you do. I will really have to finish thus course specialization.

By Prashant T

Sep 30, 2020

great course , nice materials provided. it is surely going to help me and all others who needs to explain and present things to others on daily basis as a part of their profession

By María D C C B

Sep 15, 2020

I loved this course, I learned a lot and it helped me with my final thesis presentation, besides that I plan to put what I learned into practice in my work. Thank You!!

By Binoj M

Sep 08, 2020

IT WAS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF BEING PART OF THIS COURSE ON SPEAKING TO INFORM. THE WHOLE CONTENT WAS IMPRESSIVE AND HELPFUL. THANKS A MILLION.

By Lovely J A

May 22, 2020

I love this course.. I really learned a lot about public speaking.. Now I am ready to open myself on-stage because of this training.. ❤

By Viet T

Jun 12, 2018

I like this course so much. I like the way Dr. Matt McGarrity encourage and teach everybody to overcome the fear of public speech.

By Nicola D G

Apr 06, 2017

Ottimo corso, necessario per la carriera professionale di qualsiasi persona. Simpatico e molto preparato il professore.

By Aniceto P y M

Jul 01, 2017

Very comprehensive, well structured. I've attended three courses of prof McGarrity and I am an absolute fan if him

By Marcelo B Y

Oct 15, 2017

Great course, excellent structure and content, the exercises help to fixate and practice the learning's.

By Michele D

May 28, 2017

Useful tools to help boring, data driven presentations come to life and keep your audiences attention.

By laurent b

Jul 20, 2020

very good MOOC. with clear examples, good practical quizzes, and exercises. I did learn a lot