Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS
Jul 12, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA
Feb 18, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

126 - 150 of 724 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Phạm T P H

Sep 30, 2016

This not the first time I attend in a coursera course but this English for Journalism course is really interesting. We have to finnish many tasks actively. It is not easy but that is how we get better.

Thankyou a lot!

By Himadri B

Oct 17, 2020

I thank the University of Pennsylvania, Mentors- John Cotton and Eve Litt and Coursera for providing this course that will benefit several students like me who are looking for ways to make a shift in their career.

By Pavel P

Nov 21, 2020

The course was useful. I learned the AP style, differences in writing copies for TV and newspapers. My suggestion is to update some texts prompted to analyze, since the Web has developed a lot since 2015 or so.

By Christina T

Dec 23, 2019

I loved this course! The information was very valuable. I wish that the assignments were a little more challenging, but the challenge will be there when I pursue journalism myself. Thank you to the instructors!

By cecilia d p

Apr 28, 2021

I really liked it much, but mostly was very usfell to me and i ve learned more than i expected. Thanks everyone who design it and all my classmates for taking their times to read my excersices.

Cecilia de Pablo

By Jose D C

Sep 19, 2016

I feel very happy for this great opportunity in my life and to have completed this course with your professional support and excellent pedagogical design ;and of course ... You are the best people in charge.

By Ruzanna M

May 16, 2020

A well-prepared and very informative course both for the beginners and for the professional journalists who wish to advance their skills in writing English. I will definitely recommend this course. Thank you!

By Paulina C L

Apr 21, 2021

Un curso super completo y bueno, siendo estudiante de último año de Periodismo me enseñó mucho sobre todo a escribir una noticia en inglés. El curso tiene perspectiva ética y los videos son muy interactivos.

By Nagaraj L

Oct 13, 2020

It was a wonderful experience to learn the basics of journalism. i thoroughly enjoyed the course and am thankful to the entire team for enriching our knowledge. Looking forward to do more courses. Thank you.

By Rebecca A

May 16, 2020

This course is very educative and informative. I've really learned a lot here. I've got to know the principles of journalism, how to pitch a story and many more. I know it will help me a lot in my career.

By Mariya D

Jul 2, 2019

The basics of journalism and writing within the profession. I'm still on my third week, but so far, the videos are coherent and simple to comprehend. I highly recommend for anyone interested in the topic.

By The M N

Oct 26, 2020

I took this class because I have started an online health magazine. And I learn so much. Thank you for such great teachings and the games lol. Those little games were something but they were fun.

By EMMANUEL A P

Mar 18, 2020

very wonderful course but the assessment are kind of tough.it is a good course,it was as if i was in a school of journalism.well detailed course,thanks to the instructors.thumbs up.i enjoyed it.

By Fasih U H

Feb 27, 2020

I did this course with my full interest and all instructors were very good at their subjects. I learnt basic skill technically. I hope this course will be helpful for me in my future. Thank You

By Azeez O A

The course is very interesting. The course moderators did a commendable job in using simple approaches to introduce and manage the course. I recommend the course for its value-adding contents.

By Ankit b

Jun 14, 2020

I want to get my certificate for English for journalism. I am Deaf and i can't hear and speak. I know Indian sign language and international sign language. Thanks all so much, oblige coursera

By Simón V R

Jul 2, 2020

I loved this course, I hope to keep using this platform for learning. As a criticism i would say the people who prepared it sometimes lacked objectivity at the reading comprehension stories.

By Francesca C C

Very interesting, easy to follow and really useful not only from the specific point of view but also for the analysis of the language. Hope there will be further courses like this. Thank you

By DEEPANSHU S

I learn a lot from this course, this gives us practical knowledge. In this, you will get multiple types of knowledge like in print media, broadcast media within the proper English language.

By Dr A H

Mar 30, 2018

Hello,

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and I want to purchase my certificate too. The course is very well structured, simple, lucid and both the instructors are awesome. Thanks ! God Bless.

By Antara S

May 5, 2018

A very inclusive approach to teach Journalism over internet. The course covers several important aspects of story writing and presenting making it a rather concise yet productive package.

By AMAN R

Mar 27, 2020

I liked this course as it was interesting and the content was easy to comprehend.All modules are well organized and instant feedback is the catapult to complete the course successfully.

By Mauro J d O

May 22, 2017

Excellent course! Congratulations to the professors and organizers for the excellent didactic material! It was a great learning experience! I have already recommended it to many friends!