Back to Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life by Yale University

Journey of the Universe weaves together the discoveries of the evolutionary sciences together with humanities such as history, philosophy, art, and religion. The course draws on the Emmy-award winning film, Journey of the Universe, and the book from Yale University Press. Journey explores cosmic evolution as a creative process based on connection, interdependence, and emergence. It examines a range of dynamic interactions in the unfolding of galaxies, Earth, life, and human communities. It investigates ways in which we understand evolutionary processes and the implications for humans and our ecological future. The Journey course, thus, is based on a new integration that is emerging from the dialogue of the sciences and humanities. Journey tells the story of evolution as an epic narrative, rather than as a series of facts separated by scientific disciplines. This changes our perception so that we begin to see ourselves as an integral part of this narrative. By situating ourselves within this story we can better appreciate the complexity and beauty of processes such as self-organizing dynamics, natural selection, emergence, symbiosis, and co-evolution. As we discover these intricate processes of evolution, we awaken to the beauty and complexity of our natural environment at this critical juncture in our planetary history....

DH

Oct 21, 2018

I love everything about this. Plan to go back sometime later and explore more of the websites and links that are referenced. I especially enjoy material from the American Museum of Natural History.

CS

Jan 15, 2017

This course is a must. There is just no other course that can nurture your spiritual yearnings within the framework of science. Take it. It's a wonderful course.

26 - 50 of 56 Reviews for Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life

By Daggupati L

Mar 28, 2017

easy to learn philosopical things of universe

By Liu S

Nov 20, 2016

fantastic!!!!I love it

By Julian P P

Jan 28, 2017

Terrific, I've really enjoyed it!

By Fernando B

Nov 24, 2017

It´s quite a Journey of insight, wonder and magnificent discoveries of Human kind. I experience an awakening of my curiosity.

By Andy D

Feb 14, 2018

The passion of the instructors is evident from the moment the course begins. It has helped reshape the negative light in which I previously viewed religious traditions. Journey of the Universe instilled an awe of the universe around me and further spurred my desire for understanding of the world around me.

By 雷沁颖

Oct 29, 2016

I love this course and I appreciate all the gifts our universe, our earth give me. I will cherish the earth and keep doing my best to protect what I have, what we have.

By Lilian D T

Jan 18, 2017

just wonderfull and easy to learn and let us start to see the world in other point of view

By Anil K

Feb 10, 2018

Great learning experience!!!!

By mansi g

Jul 01, 2018

nice n easy

By Thomas H

Oct 02, 2017

Extraordinary. Astronomy has always been a friend. Now it has become a mentor. Suddenly my priorities have become clear. My life needs no further focus. God, sobriety and “Journey of the Universe.” Powerful!

By Zach V S

Sep 26, 2016

This is one of my all-time favorite courses.

By Dimas D T S C

Dec 29, 2016

really precise , easy to learn i full recomend

By Juliet B

Apr 18, 2017

A great course for everyone. Provides inspiring insights into the workings of the universe, evoking a big picture understanding of how we fit into a beautiful story of our universe, a story that each of our lives play an important part.

By Alex t B

Oct 11, 2016

Great course. Especially liked the 3 part video in week 6. Looking forward to the next one.

By Chenlin W

Dec 29, 2017

This course gave me a brand new insight, I very like it!

Though somehow some long video someimes can't play properly.

By Dot H

Oct 21, 2018

By Emily C

Nov 02, 2018

The title of the course was what initially attracted me. "Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life" was such a spectacular course. It's a dimensional way to familiarize oneself with topics that are rarely offered in more rudimental educational environments. As a high school student, it was both an academically and existentially enriching course! Thanks for offering this, Coursera.

By Shivam

Sep 18, 2018

Very good course

By Susan F

May 23, 2019

Fantastic content and well structured for the busy working person to fit into their schedules!

By Jafed E

Jul 06, 2019

By Patty K

Jul 29, 2019

Very interesting and compelling. The story the world needs to know!

By Miracle

Sep 20, 2017

interesting hh~

By Vedant A

Dec 25, 2017

Great course for understanding history of universe.

By Susan H

Feb 23, 2017

Awesome documentary! Just sad that we can't do this course without having to subscribe. Is there any way to make it more accessible? Such as allowing the non-paying students to submit quizzes and assignments?

By Al A

Oct 22, 2017

I liked this course however it seemed to center on the film as the core content, sometimes feeling like an elaborate advertisement for the film/book. It would be great to have a course that went deeper into the scientific findings that are described, and didn't draw on only the film as the source material.