Back to Leading for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Leading for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education by University of Michigan

This course is open to professionals interested in learning more about leadership in higher education for a changing demographic or interested in developing their own leadership skills. The very idea that individuals can be taught to lead is not without its skeptics. Reasonable people, even some scholars in the field, point to the important traits, skills, and attributes that are observed in many visible leaders and contend that certain qualities necessary for effective leadership are not easily transmitted. To accept this premise and conclude that some people are born as natural leaders and others cannot be expected to lead at all is to make a mistake at the other end of the logical spectrum. We believe that leadership can be taught as long as it is concurrently nurtured, that most people possess a constellation of strengths around which they can construct their own leadership philosophy and approach, and that leadership development programming—if done well—can be transformative for organizers and participants. Course Level Objectives: Understand the historical narrative of institutions as well as institutional structures that have created instances of inclusion and exclusion in colleges and universities. Describe how transformational leadership is enacted for diversity, equity, and inclusion in a complex and contested environment. Compare legislative, governance, and public accountability and expectations in relation to contemporary issues in higher education. Analyze the strategic diversity planning process and documents of a selected institution. Recommend innovations and opportunities for transformational change at various levels of the ecological model using the strategic diversity planning process as a tool....

MV
Jun 15, 2020

Thank you for putting together the readings, conferences, and interviews. They helped me to understand and to plan how to integrate Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in my school.

AM
Aug 17, 2019

Fantastic course. Eye opening and succinct. Can’t ask for a better length of class lectures and work for a certification. I can’t wait to add this to my profile! Thanks!

1 - 25 of 40 Reviews for Leading for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education

By Kristi H

Sep 25, 2018

It may sound melodramatic but I can honestly say that this course was life-changing. While I was already passionate about issues surrounding equity, diversity, and inclusion, this course galvanized my commitment and showed me that leading for equity, diversity, and inclusion is LEADING period. This course could help any person be a more inspiring, effective, and inclusive leader, regardless of whether that person's job officially deals with equity and inclusion.

By Maria J V

By Asha M

Aug 17, 2019

By Evan R M

Oct 23, 2017

Excellent course for anyone interested in learning more about diversity, inclusion, and equity in higher education. Course exposes the learner to the histories of exclusion which have shaped the American higher education landscape, how to identify bias of consciousness, and provides the opportunity to articulate what you have obtained by examining a diversity strategic plan. Would recommend not only for those in higher education, but for anyone interest in creating more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplaces and societies.

By Jovan M

Apr 27, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the content of this course. I would agree with one of the prior students that the last 2 assignments were amazing. Having the experience of reviewing how my college's mission statement aligns with the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion was a powerful exercise. I am not better equipped to add value to how our final strategic plan shapes up. This was an excellent course and I look to invest in more courses through the University of Michigan. Go Blue!

By B G

This was a great experience that in a way I wish was a bit longer. The materials were great and the videos were very relevant. The instructor presented well and it was good to hear the content presented in the lectures. The only drawback was that I was left wanting to have more direct input/feedback/interaction from our great instructor.

By Heather H

Oct 31, 2019

I loved this course! I learned so much more about leading for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion than I realized I would. The instructor is fantastic. I hope to have the chance to hear him speak publically about these issues and how to make more positive and impactful advancements in higher education. I highly recommend this course!

By Sharon G

Jun 1, 2020

I loved the course and I really loved the Professor Dr. John C. Burkhardt . He was fantastic as a professor and I learned so much from him and the videos that he included. This is a course that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in Higher Education and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

By Carleen G

Mar 14, 2020

This course provides a thorough background for EDI training. Excellent source material. The course was much more substantial than anticipated.

By Sarah P

Aug 22, 2017

This is must take class for anyone in Higher Education! Learn more about diversity! So relevant for everything going on in the world today!

By Gle L

Dec 18, 2018

Compelling readings and videos. Very eye-opening.

Main complaint: Not using gender-neutral pronouns.

By Scott L

May 4, 2018

Excellent course for anyone in, or preparing for, a leadership position in higher education.

By Alvaro R P

Jun 11, 2018

Fantastic material, online resources are user friendly. All can be applied to real life!

By Anthony P

Apr 30, 2020

Great course i learned a lot that i plan on implementing in my next role.

By Melissa S

Nov 15, 2019

Outstanding course, highly informative and thought provoking!

By Felecia H

Feb 1, 2020

Well worth the time. Great readings, videos, and examples!

By Marie M R

Aug 28, 2017

Very well organized. Excellent assignments and tools.

By Dionelyn C

Apr 2, 2020

Very informative... Thank you

By Thianrapong W

Jan 26, 2020

Good theory and experience

By Katya S

Sep 25, 2017

The course is stimulating, but the materials can be long-winded; some of the readings are 50+ pages long, and it can be tough to assess which parts are relevant to the assignments and in how much depth to study them. That being said, the course provides excellent readings on diversity, equity, and inclusion and approaches the topic critically, not just from a standpoint of creating new programs, but emphasizing the need for institutional transformation.

By Sarah V

Sep 16, 2019

Well organized and presents valuable information and thoughtful exercises on the subject of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Some of the lecture videos by Jon Burkhardt were very patronizing and included instances of biased language that seemed to have slipped under the radar. I would recommend this course but I would also urge the University to review the lecture videos and bring in an instructor of color who would not make such slips.

By Kenneth M

The course was excellent! It is packed with eye-opening and useful information. The exercises were just right and the fifth star is reserved because it wasn't face-to-face assessment and instruction. Bravo!

By Oscar F L

Aug 17, 2017

Very interesting course and easy to follow. Sometimes a bit slow, since I suppose it's how the professor feels comfortable in front of the camera. Thanks for making this available to the world!

By Claudia G

Feb 9, 2018

It's a great course. Informative and very need for who wants to learn more about issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion and leadership in higher education.

By Sharon A M

Apr 3, 2020

Interesting course. The last two modules were the best.