Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

4226 - 4250 of 4,922 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

Dec 1, 2015

G

By Thien P V

Sep 13, 2021

A great and comprehensive course overall; as a complete beginner, I did take away a lot. However, I wish the instructor had dedicated a section in each lecture, or at the beginning of the course, to go over the grammar points. Three examples would be: (1) the positions of different parts of speech in a sentence (especially in a question); (2) noun-verb-adjective relations; and (3) when to use or not to use "to be" verb (shì). This way, it'd be much easier for students to formulate sentences and grasp the basis of them. One more trivial issue is that in the later weeks, some words have the "ar" or "anr" finals (as in "zài nàr", "zài nǎr", "yīdiǎnr", and "wánr yóuxì"), but these finals weren't introduced at the beginning of the course, and in the lectures the instructor didn't elaborate on how to pronounce them or why they were there.

By Valerie D

I enjoy the flexibility of taking the course wherever I am. I can put into use all the things that were taught, on a regular basis. I would have liked information or side notes about sentence structure. Was not able to complete the notes at the end. I was trying to see if I could print it and I couldn't go back to it. I liked the addition of the characters in the notes. The exercises were helpful and the instructor spoke clearly so I could hear the pronunciation. It would be nice to listen to dialogues of what was learned to develop the listening part of the language. My greatest gratitude to all those that made this course possible. Thank you. Xie xie.

By Katherine B

Oct 29, 2016

The course provided a solid, clear, and friendly introduction to the basics of speaking & understanding spoken Mandarin, as well as to how Mandarin is written in the Roman alphabet. Vocabulary and grammar points were introduced at a pace that was never too overwhelming. I'd have liked the quizzes to be based on listening to a dialogue or watching a video and then testing comprehension, rather than just on vocabulary. But on the whole, I was pleased. It was exciting, right as the course was ending, to see that I could have a tiny conversation of the "Do you like autumn?" and "We are taking the subway to school" variety with a Chinese colleague.

By Walid H

Jul 14, 2018

Quizzes were very easy. I was expecting more questions and some more Chinese / English sentences in the quizzes. I mentioned a mistake in the quizz concerning 'numbers' but nobody bothered to answer me. It was a teacher mistake and / or computer but definitely it was not mine. I hope that in the future the course will be improved, the quizzes more difficult and some sentences be included in these quizzes whether in English or in Chinese (pinyin). The teacher could have included at least two Chinese ideograms in each course in order to get familiarized with them, such as : exit / pull / push / toilet / taxi stop / etc... Thanks.

By Andrea N

Jun 20, 2018

It's a good course to learn chinese for beginners. The skills you learn/improve the most in the course are pronunciation and vocabulary, which I think are the most important for a beginner, because them allow you to speak with some fluency. I missed a little explanations about gramar and syntax, but I asked in the forums about them, the problem is that often doubts aren't answered there. I also missed characters, but it's perhaps understandable that in a beginners course they aren't already introduced. Chinese is so difficult and it requires many years of study, so I think in general it's a complete course for a beginner.

By Cristina F

Aug 23, 2018

La profesora explica muy bien y en muy buen inglés, mucha importancia a la pronunciación y aprendí. Curso básico, aunque se quedan muchos cabos sueltos en la versión gratuita (ejemplo, solo da las horas en punto, nunca llega a decir los pronombres ni explicar si hay tiempos verbales y otras cosas muy básicas que son el primer estadio de todos los aprendizajes de idiomas). Punto negativo: nadie revisa a los "subtituladores" y en el español se pueden leer cosas como "[coreano]" "esto no lo entiendo" o algo raro en una lección que decía "papá, ¿esto qué significa? Está en coreano". O similar.

Sep 22, 2015

The course is a very practical approach to the language. The main goal of it being to help you get by in the country. It's title should be Surviving in China 101. Although misleading for people wanting to learn the language to an extensive level, it's definitely a good base to have and to build on. The material is presented in a very accessible manner and the quizzes help you master the key elements acquired within each session. Overall, great class if you plan visiting the country and want to be able to get by without a translator as we all know that not all Chinese natives speak English.