Back to How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course) by High Tech High Graduate School of Education

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will create an original four page minicomic designed around a short story of your choosing. What you’ll need to get started: This project-centered course is designed for all-age learners (high school age and above, at least 13 years of age) who are interested in learning how to make a comic book, but have never completed one before. While comic books can be created with any kinds of materials, we recommend that learners have the following materials available to complete the project: at least one ream of 8.5x11 copy paper, #2 pencils and eraser, Sharpie-type fine point pens, ruler with inch measurements, and adjustable binding stapler. Learners should also have access to a printer and scanner (to facilitate digitizing work to be shared with peers on Coursera). *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-Centered Courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

RV
Mar 28, 2016

I loved this course! I already had two characters that I had created. This course forced me to actually think about how I am going to implement my characters into their world.

CR
Oct 24, 2018

Love this short course how to make a comic book. Hope coursera can make more course on comics such as how to draw (basic to advance), coloring, digital or manual coloring.

1 - 25 of 51 Reviews for How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course)

By Alan E A

Sep 4, 2017

Loved the course, lots of useful information. First time I do a class like this, I haven't been reading comics for that long but I find it a very interesting medium. Maybe a second course focused on digital tools that includes coloring and more marketing would be a great addition. Thanks!

By 胡潇予

Aug 28, 2017

It's very interesting to make a comic book. The work flow helps me to find some problems easily and provides a lot of solutions like the books recommended. But it's a bit unfriendly for people like me who are in Chinese mainland to upload homework and evaluate for others. Hope one day it will not be a problem anymore. All in all, thanks for teachers who shared so much knowledge. I really appreciate it. Thank you who evaluated my homework. You helped me a lot!

By Christopher R

Oct 25, 2018

By Camber C

Jun 15, 2020

This course was so great! as a comic book writer and drawer myself, it was good to revise some of the lessons that I have already done. Also, it was good to learn new lessons that helped me further my path as a comic book writer. I really enjoyed it! Also, the feedback from the other students was great as well.

By notsoseamless

Sep 8, 2016

Great introduction to what comics are all about.

Could be even greater if the famous artists that were interviewed actually demonstrated how they went about their work.

By Ida D D

Feb 28, 2016

It is a great course. It reveals the possibilities of creating graphic novels/comics.

I love it.

Keli Dey

By José R M

Oct 8, 2019

AWESOME! GREAT COURSE AND GREAT EXPERIENCE! :D

By Rafael L

Apr 7, 2016

I had high expectations of this course, but must admit I'm pretty disappointed. Navigating the course feels unintuitive and clunky. Not sure if that's just a Coursera thing though. The actual content (video) looks great, but is unfortunately exceedingly brief, so much so, that it feels like this entire course could have just been a single article. In fact, there's not much presented that really benefits from the video format. Most 'instruction' in the course is centered around brief talks, or artist interviews, and thus you're often just looking at two people talking, or an artist showing you their work while they talk. You never even see anyone draw to my recollection.

The 'work' in the course feels rather 'phoned in' at times too. Questions such as "What did you find interesting about the video you just watched?" seem unnecessary, and too elementary to contain any real value, especially when the videos are so brief.

Having said all that, I DO think the people who made it are genuine, and have passion for comics, and comics education, and I'll continue to follow their efforts on that front.

By MEHTA D R

Aug 15, 2020

Amazing Course. Super Friendly instructors and the way the course is designed is just fantastic. It teaches the basics right from the scratch. Highly highly recommended for everyone who wants to learn comic making, especially for beginners. For me, I thoroughly enjoyed this course and passed with full marks.

By Richard V

Mar 29, 2016

By Tejeswini P

Feb 12, 2017

Very well organised and taught very well. The interviews are a great resource. Plenty of examples given and lots of useful sites were listed for self study!

By Robert C

Jun 6, 2017

Brilliant course! All you need is a pen and paper and some imagination! No drawing skills really required for this course. Real good fun to do.

By rena l

May 9, 2017

thanks for the great informations, and the learnig stuff. although i had to work hard it was great.thanks a lot.

By Grace A

Jun 5, 2019

Excelente, lo tome de forma gratuita y me pareció muy practico, muchos buenos tips para avanzar en tu comic.

By Kenneth L

May 23, 2017

This course opens a great doorway to a wealth of materials and sources. I wish they had this years ago!

By Ludovic C

Feb 12, 2018

Very good professionals, nice timing and steps to learn how to create properly a comic story book.

By Emilio

Nov 19, 2016

Amazing way to learn with good examples and interviews :D

By Luis R L

Jun 22, 2016

I like it, learn refresh many things and got started.

By 朱思伟

Mar 2, 2017

Great course to learn how to make your comic book.

By Dybkaliuk O

Jul 22, 2020

This course is amazing, I learnt much information

By Subhajit M

Apr 4, 2016

Very well made and very helpful and resourceful.

By Atanas N

Mar 19, 2016

I have so much fun drawing and writing.

By José A T G

Nov 29, 2019

WonderfuI!

I highly recommend this one!

By Diana M L C

Mar 11, 2018

Me encantó el curso, 100% recomendado!

By Gary W

Aug 29, 2019

Good course with good instruction.