Back to How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course) by High Tech High Graduate School of Education

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will create an original four page minicomic designed around a short story of your choosing. What you’ll need to get started: This project-centered course is designed for all-age learners (high school age and above, at least 13 years of age) who are interested in learning how to make a comic book, but have never completed one before. While comic books can be created with any kinds of materials, we recommend that learners have the following materials available to complete the project: at least one ream of 8.5x11 copy paper, #2 pencils and eraser, Sharpie-type fine point pens, ruler with inch measurements, and adjustable binding stapler. Learners should also have access to a printer and scanner (to facilitate digitizing work to be shared with peers on Coursera). *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-Centered Courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

RV
Mar 28, 2016

I loved this course! I already had two characters that I had created. This course forced me to actually think about how I am going to implement my characters into their world.

JO
Sep 7, 2016

Great introduction to what comics are all about.\n\nCould be even greater if the famous artists that were interviewed actually demonstrated how they went about their work.

26 - 50 of 61 Reviews for How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course)

By HELLEN D S S

Mar 6, 2021

Objetive, realistic e inspiring. I totally recommend it!

By Luis R L

Jun 22, 2016

I like it, learn refresh many things and got started.

By 朱思伟

Mar 2, 2017

Great course to learn how to make your comic book.

By Dybkaliuk O

Jul 22, 2020

This course is amazing, I learnt much information

By Subhajit M

Apr 4, 2016

Very well made and very helpful and resourceful.

By Scott M

Feb 19, 2021

Brilliant course! So fun and really productive

By Atanas N

Mar 19, 2016

I have so much fun drawing and writing.

By José A T G

Nov 29, 2019

WonderfuI!

I highly recommend this one!

By Diana M L C

Mar 11, 2018

Me encantó el curso, 100% recomendado!

By Gary W

Aug 29, 2019

Good course with good instruction.

By Aseel a

Feb 16, 2021

The best course in making Comics.

By Sarah A

Aug 29, 2020

Great

By April C

Apr 10, 2016

Really enjoyed this course and I learned a lot. The content is interesting, engaging and informative. I now feel confident to get started on the graphic novel I've had in mind for some time, as well as starting a webcomic archive. I would recommend this course to anyone remotely interested in making comics. It's a great kick starter!

Only reason I haven't given 5 stars is I was expecting it to be more compatible with digital methods of creating art. The course is structured to use hard copy printing and actual pens/pencils/inks, whereas I use a Wacom tablet and pen with Sketchbook Pro. So I had some fiddling around to do to access the course materials in a format that was useful to me. Also, the final week instructions seemed to be directed at a class putting their comics together in a compendium for the final print. I found it a bit confusing.

By Sarah-Jane M

May 25, 2017

I enjoyed the delivery and content of this course, but what I didn't like is the review system as I had to defer my course to a different month because it wasn't being marked- some of my assignments.

Learning about creating a comic, definitely made me look at how I should present the script and my characters in a way that is easy to communicate to the readers. Just be careful of one thing... if you are the type of person who enjoys showcasing a comic that deals largely with life, universe and obscure topics of philisophy....I would recommend you don't do it here. I was constantly being marked down by random people who could not understand a simple concept that all of my other friends could. In the end I had to create a comic that is stupidly simple for a teenager to understand and managed to pass.

By Eric W

Aug 17, 2016

Lots of great reference information available in this course that is constantly being updated. The course forces you to finish your project so at the end of the course you have something done which is a 16 panel comic. Doing a cover for your small comic book is optional.

It was fun to do for me. I'd give it 4.5 stars if it would allow such scoring. My only complaint is that the course seemed rushed and too short for all that you need to cover and create in some weeks.

I still would not hesitate to recommend this course because it is complete. All that is necessary is some very basic supplies. Photoshop may be needed to complete the final week, but I worked around that issue as I think some others in the course may have done as well.

By Gladys C

Sep 27, 2020

This course was my first ever online course. I like it because the topics were introduced one by one and in detail. The resources were also very helpful and included some of my favorite artists. The only problem was that I couldn't access some sites due to them being archived, and some articles are outdated, and need to be refreshed with modern timeline events. Otherwise, I had fun in creating my own comic, and my first online class was a good experience.